Protection and Preservation, Book 01 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 01

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 8

[Virginia]

"Jane, there's a small car coming on my side! Brace!" I slowed down and it went around in front of us a hundred feet or so and stopped sideways. We could get through if I wanted to but I slowed some more. The driver's side faced us and a small figure jumped out and began to wave wildly. I slowed some more and rolled the window down. I had loosened my pistol in its holster ready to use it. "Jane, watch for any company behind us."

I stopped thirty feet away from the car and the person came running up toward us. I hollered, "Stop! We're armed and I will shoot." I pulled my pistol out and held it pointing at the stranger with my left hand.

I heard Jane say, "No traffic coming. I have the car covered if someone else is in it. Let'em approach."

I yelled out the window, "Okay, You. Slowly approach the truck. Keep your hands out away from your body." The hands spread out to each side. I had determined this was a female of some age, probably young. She came up beside the truck.

She said, "Please, I've been alone for weeks. Please talk to me. I'm not armed."

"Get back in your car and follow us. I want to get down there where we are not quite so obvious. Do you understand?" She nodded. "Good."

I drove down a few hundred yards to a point where the Interstate was less elevated and we pulled over to talk. She pulled in behind me and jumped out of her car and was at the back of the truck when she saw me standing there with my pistol pointing at her.

"Please, I don't want to hurt anyone." She had her arms stretched out. She added, "Or be hurt either."

I heard the passenger door open as Jane got out. She walked to the back of the truck and said, "Okay, Honey. Come forward slowly and keep your arms out." To me, she whispered, "I'm going to frisk her. Watch around us and watch her car."

The young girl stood before her and Jane frisked her quickly and thoroughly putting her hands where a man wouldn't but I guess, where a weapon could be hidden. Jane stood back and said, "You can put your hands down. What's your name?"

"I'm Bethany Stevens. My parents are dead. Mother died of the virus and I was very sick. After she died, Dad moped around and wasn't being careful. He stepped on a downed power line and was electrocuted. I've been alone ever since. No one's alive." She was weeping and her face was forlorn. Jane pulled her into her arms and hugged her tight.

"Well, George and I are here now. We're alive and plan to stay that way. What if we had been bad people?"

Bethany said, "Then, I would kill you in your sleep like I did my neighbor, Bob, who captured me after Dad died. He forced me but I cut him bad later that night."

Jane nodded approvingly so I said nothing about that. What I did say was, "Bethany, what do you want?"

She shivered, still in Jane's arms, and then said, "I don't want to be alone. Please take me with you. I'll help. I can clean and cook."

"Beth, dear." With those words from Jane, she broke down and began to sob heavily.

In the sobbing, I heard her say, "Mother used to call me that." After a few minutes, she slowly got herself under control.

I looked over at Jane who nodded at me. I said, "Bethany, you can come with us. Where are your clothes?"

With Jane's help, she blew her nose and then said, "At home. I don't want to go there."

I shrugged and said, "Okay, we can go back to the mall. Pull your car further over to the side and lock it. Your car will probably be as safe here as anywhere." She ran to her car and pulled it well off the road, locked it and came running back having pocketed the key.

We went back to the mall and the two ladies went in and "shopped" for a while. They returned with bags, which were loaded into the truck. It's good it's a big truck. We went back to Anna and our cottage.

Bethany thought it was beautiful. We gave her a spare bedroom and the three of us unloaded the truck and packed everything away. Some of the food had to go up to the marina for frozen and dry storage. Bethany asked why we got so much food and Jane replied that it saved trips.

It was late afternoon and Jane decided that we would have an early supper and get to know each other. Bethany and Jane prepared supper while I listened. I could tell Bethany was in awe of Jane and had quickly realized also that Jane was a masterful cook. She listened to our story primarily from Jane. It was interesting to hear what happened from my wife's perspective. I came out pretty well as smart, capable and caring.

At the end of Jane's telling of our story, Bethany said, "So you guys are on your honeymoon? Wow!"

Jane laughed. "Now, we're more like newly weds rather than honeymooners. Because of the quick courtship, we're still getting to know one another. So far, I think I'll keep him." I kept quiet but did grin. Jane's grin made it obvious that she was enjoying herself. Dinner was great and we shared more details of our stories. Bethany was just over sixteen and it had been the family car she was driving when we met her.

We went to our rooms for a good night's sleep. In the morning, we would take a day to have fun on the lake. Jane said that all three of us could use some simple fun.

That morning, I put on a bathing suit, started coffee and went next door. There were two wave runners there. I knew we could pick up another at the marina. I checked the gas in both and went back to the cottage.

Jane was in the kitchen working on breakfast. She was wearing a suit, I guess, and an apron. The suit, such as it was, was a thong in back with a tiny string across her back for the back of the top. The apron covered the rest. A few minutes later, Bethany came in wearing a very skimpy bikini. If it wasn't a thong, it was close. Both ladies were breath taking and I went, "Wow!"

Jane said, "I guess he likes our suits, Bethany. Close your mouth, Dear, before the flies make a home there." She laughed, "Just be glad, we aren't making you wear a Speedo!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.