Aging Well 2, the Sequel - Cover

Aging Well 2, the Sequel

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 21

[Jack writes]

Time passed.

I called John and suggested that the three of them come over since everyone else was here. I told him we would go out or cook out. He agreed. He told me that the three of them were leaving work early. They were at the condo by late afternoon.

Pam came in and Johnny launched himself into Sandy's arms. "Gra-ma!"

I pulled Pam into my arms and gave her a kiss. "Pam, it's good to see you." I gave my son a hug. "Good to see you, too, John."

He smiled at me. "We're just here for the ladies."

I chuckled. "So true."

Sandy said, "Jack, go wake our Valkyrie and doctor. I'll wake our engineer and policeman.

"Johnny, would like to help me wake Aunt Chastity?"

"Yes, Gra-ma."

They got to the top of the stairs and I heard, "An' Chas-ty! Wake up!"

As I went out, I heard an excited Chastity cry out, "Johnny!" I went across the street and knocked as I entered. I walked up the stairs not trying to be silent.

I saw that the door was open. As I reached it, Gretchen's voice came through. "Poppa, did you make enough noise to warn us?" She was lying on the bed with her clothes on and Mack's head in her lap. I could tell he was waking up.

I smiled. "Everyone is getting up and we're trying to organize some supper either here or out somewhere. Mack, you look better."

"I feel better. Our Valkyrie took pity on me and let me rest.

"We'll be over in a few minutes. I need to wash my face."

Gretchen smirked. "He needs to be kissed, too."

I grinned. "You do that. He's not really my type." I headed downstairs and back home. I nodded at Sandy smiling. "They're on the way."

Sandy nodded. "Johnny is helping her aunt Chastity and David get their act together. Depending upon where we go, she might want to go across the street and change."

I said, "What about the buffet if they're open?"

She nodded. "Call them, please." I did and they were open and Melissa was on duty. She was our usual server. I said that we would be there later with ten and a baby.

We gathered together with hugs and kisses all around. There was only one surprise. Johnny took to David. David carried him down while he, Johnny, held Chastity's hand. Her other hand and arm was around David's waist. David seemed to be happy. We started for vehicles to ride to the buffet. Pam and John would drive with Johnny. There wasn't room for more in their car. David and Chastity were in David's car with Becky and Mark as their passengers. Mack would drive Gretchen and us in his Mustang. Gretchen offered me the front seat. I declined preferring to sit in back and neck with Sandy.

We did sit in back. Sandy whispered, "Jack, this is so wonderful. I never dreamed to have children. Now, I have four wonderful children and even a grandchild. Life is good."

I kissed her and said, "It's all your fault, my love. You are my love but everyone of us loves you dearly."

Mack said, "Gretchen and I have agreed that you will give her at the wedding but that you two are parents to both of us not just to her." He reached over and caressed Gretchen's cheek as she looked at us.

"Poppa, it's really going to be okay, isn't it?"

I said, "Yes, our daughter, my Valkyrie."

Gretchen's eyes had tears of joy in them. She gave Mack's arm a squeeze. Sandy and I gave each other a hug and a kiss.

The rest of the drive was cozy. We all got out laughing and joyous. Melissa met us at the door. "What's the event?"

I said, "Nothing. We're just enjoying having all our children and loved ones with us." I realized that I worded that carefully. Sandy caught it and smiled.

Melissa smiled, too. "They all seem to like each other. That's good." She showed us to our seats and took our drink orders. She left to get them and we went to get food.

We all sat down and I prayed. I thanked God for our safety, to help those with problems, for Gretchen's and Mack's wedding, and for others starting relationships. I cheated and opened my eyes to look at Chastity and David. Their heads were together. I asked for blessings on our food and time together. My "amen" was echoed by all.

Johnny was looking unhappy. He was between Sandy and Chastity. I said, "Johnny, what's not right for you?"

He said, "An' Chas-ty won' let me sit 'tween her and Dav."

Everyone laughed. I said, "Give them time. They are just getting used to sitting next to each other. You have to be patient. After all, you're sitting next to her and your grandmother. That's a very good spot."

He smiled then. "Okay, Gra-pa."

We all ate, talked, and laughed. Johnny managed to leave his booster seat and took turns in every female's lap but spent most of his time with "An' Chas-ty" and staring at David who talked to him as if he were a young man rather than a baby albeit a preconscious one. He and Chastity had great fun talking to him and saying things that they, perhaps, weren't quite ready to say to each other privately.

David was talking to Johnny about how pretty and smart An Chas-ty is. He said, "Would you let me marry her and become your uncle?" Sandy and I heard him as did Chastity who gasped. Johnny thought for a moment and then said, "Yes, if I don' marry her soonest!"

David smiled his slow smile and said, "Then I will have to hurry and ask her. When I do, you will have to help her say, 'yes, ' so I can be your uncle."

Johnny nodded solemnly and said, "She will." Chastity gasped again and David grinned at her. Chastity turned a bright red.

Gretchen and Mack were talking and my ears were totally involved in trying to overhear anything David and Chastity might say.

Chastity whispered, "David, don't tease him. Someone might take you seriously."

He smiled even wider. "I hope you do." Chastity gasped again and blushed even more deeply. After a long moment, he pushed his chair back and knelt facing her. "Chastity Jones, it hasn't been long enough to truly know you well but I know your heart and that's what's important. We will work the rest out. I love you. Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife, my partner in life?"

Tears were flowing down her cheeks and everyone else stopped talking as they quickly realized where David was and what he must have said. A little voice broke the silence saying, "An Chas-ty says 'yes, ' but she can't talk. Mommy calls those happy tears."

David nodded but continued to look at Chastity. Chastity looked up. She handed Johnny to Sandy. She looked David in the eye and screamed, "Yes!"

Melissa was close and began clapping. The rest of our table joined in along with a few other diners close by. Even Johnny was clapping with a satisfied look on his little face.

Chastity pulled David to her and held him tightly as they kissed repeatedly. With the excitement over, we went to cars to return to our condo.

Sandy started coffee and pulled out some lemon cookies. She brought out the cookies and Gretchen smiled. "Those are the cookies that really started Mack and I toward marriage. They will be our wedding cookies on Sunday." Everyone chuckled having heard the story of the challenge. She said, "Mack has to go in for rounds tomorrow morning. We will take my old room tonight. My office is closed for the week."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.