Aging Well 2, the Sequel - Cover

Aging Well 2, the Sequel

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 12

[Sandy writes]

We went to the Methodist church where Mack had been going in recent years after attending Sunday school at our church. It was very similar to our Presbyterian church. Looking at the program, I felt that I would be comfortable with the message, the people, and the music.

Mack introduced us as Gretchen's parents and then said that we were here as their special guests while he made a special announcement. He said, "I have asked and the lovely Gretchen Carlsen has agreed to become my wife. Following a precedent set by her parents, we will be married next Sunday afternoon at three o'clock. It will be a small wedding but the church is invited." He and Gretchen had their arms around each other.

The pastor smiled. He said, "They talked to me this morning. Gretchen will join our congregation by transfer from Mount Sinai Baptist Church." He walked to her and said, "Gretchen Carlsen, will you be loyal to this congregation of the United Methodist Church and uphold it with your prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness?"

Gretchen's voice rang out clearly, "Yes, I will with God's help."

He shook her hand and said, "We're glad for you to join our church and congratulate you on your engagement." He then shook Mack's hand congratulating him on catching such a splendid young lady.

The rest of the service proceeded in a normal manner. At the benediction, the pastor asked the four of us to stand at the altar and give members an opportunity to welcome the newest member and greet her parents as guests of the church. Gretchen was wearing another dress I sewed that was similar to the blue one but more modestly appropriate for church. It was in a dark navy blue. Mine was similar in a deep green. She looked radiant. When he had a quiet moment, Mack said, "Pop, let's take our gorgeous ladies out to lunch."

Jack smiled and nodded. We left and followed them to the Embers for lunch. At lunch, Gretchen said, "We have one issue that I must address. I have to talk to Chastity. That's going to be harder than talking to you two because I will be leaving her alone."

I said, "We will be there for her."

Jack said, "Perhaps, I will have to get shot again to find her a guy." Jack laughed heartily. Mack, Gretchen, and I were polite. "Okay, that's a bad joke. We'll go to plan 'B' and have to start looking unless Paul can get his act together."

Gretchen said, "I don't think it is Paul. She has told me that he's nice but doesn't light her fire. Sometimes, I think he would like more but hasn't the gumption to break out of the comfortable rut into which he has fallen and risk losing what he has with her."

Jack said, "When were you going to talk to her?"

Gretchen said, "Today. It can't wait. She has to know that I didn't come to the condo last night. It wouldn't surprise me that she heard the trunk last night when we got my suitcase. I want her to share in my joy but I'm scared she won't be happy about me leaving."

I said, "Gretchen, Jack and I know you and all about you. We don't know as much about Chastity."

Gretchen said, "She has family and I have spent weekends with them. I have gone with her in the past. They are good people. She has two brothers and a sister. I like them, too."

She shrugged. "I just don't know what she wants in life. She works and seems to like her job. She dates. She seems to enjoy going out with men. She goes to church. She seems to have a true and abiding faith. She is popular and enjoys people but doesn't seem to have any deep relationships with anyone, even me. The only person who I have seen her truly care about is Poppa. She was sobbing hard when she saw you being taken away in the ambulance. She was more upset than I was or even you, Mom."

I said, "We'll just have to love her. If she will let us in, fine. If she won't, we will love her and respect her wishes."

Gretchen and I talked wedding dresses. This one would be white and long. She wanted Chastity to be her bridesmaid while Mack planned to ask his next older brother to be best man. Gretchen looked at us and said, "You two will be the parents of the bride. Poppa, you will give your valkyrie in marriage." She had tears in her eyes but was smiling. We finished our meals and headed to our home. We parked as usual and Mack parked behind Gretchen's car.

We walked over and Gretchen and Mack got out. The four of us headed to the door and went inside. Chastity wasn't home. Her car wasn't in the garage where she usually parked. Gretchen went to her bedroom and opened the door. She came downstairs saying, "She isn't here and her bed doesn't look like she slept in it last night!"

We all sat down. Gretchen said, "That's not like her." She went into the kitchen and came back looking troubled. "She didn't leave a note."

Mack said, "You didn't either, love."

"She knew about the suitcase. I packed it over a week ago. She was there when we became engaged. She always leaves a note or talks. Something is wrong."

Mack said, "Call her."

Gretchen did and the call went immediately to voicemail. "Chastity, this is Gretchen. Call me as soon as you get this. Where are you?"

I said, "Gretchen, do you have Paul's number, or her parents' number" Maybe there was an emergency and they know something."

She nodded and pulled her phone back out. "Paul, this is Gretchen. Do you know where Chastity is?" She listened. "She's not here. Her car is gone. There's no note. Her bed doesn't look slept in." Paul spoke. "If you hear from her, please tell her to call me. I'm worried." She paused. "Yes, thank you. Call me if you hear from her and I will call you. Thanks. Bye, Paul." She disconnected the call.

"Paul said that she wasn't in church but he didn't think anything of it. He knew we would be making our announcement in church and he just thought she had gone to Mack's church for it. He said that she seemed happy and excited for me when he left here last night. She told him she didn't expect me to stay here tonight."

Jack said, "Call her parents."

Gretchen went into the kitchen and came back with an emergency numbers list. She sat next to me and I saw our names, Jack's and mine, at the top of the list. Under a line reading, Chastity's parents, was a line for Clarence and Joyce Jones with a number.

Gretchen still had her phone and dialed the number. "Hello, Missus Jones, this is Gretchen Carlsen. Is Chastity there?"

I could hear Missus Jones. "No, Gretchen. I haven't heard from her since yesterday morning. She was going out last night to celebrate your Poppa Jack's birthday. Wasn't she with you?"

"Missus Jones, she was. We had a wonderful time and Mack asked me to marry him! It turned into an engagement party, too. I-I spent the night with Mack so didn't come home. After church and lunch, we came here and found her car gone, her bed didn't look used, and no note. I'm worried."

"Congratulations! Chastity has spoken of Mack glowingly. Did you talk to Paul?"

"Thank you. Yes, ma'am. He didn't know anything after he left last night. He said she seemed excited and happy. He didn't see her in church and thought she might have gone to the Methodist church for the announcement there. She wasn't there. Do you have any ideas?"

"No. I will call her brothers and sister but I doubt they know anything. Please, honey, call the police and report her missing. This is very unlike her."

"Yes, ma'am. I will. If you hear from her, please call me or get her to call me. I'm worried and Poppa Jack and Sandy Mom are with me. They're worried, too."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.