Aging Well 2, the Sequel - Cover

Aging Well 2, the Sequel

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 7

[Jack writes]

I am told that it's been three days since I was shot. Actually, I remember that and nothing else until I woke on what I thought was the next day. Sandy was in the room with me. I groaned softly. She was immediately holding me with gentleness that seemed to take an effort. I said, "I know I was shot. What happened after that?"

Sandy said, "It's been three days. You were operated on for more than two hours. You are still in intensive care. Becky, Gretchen, Chastity, or I have been here all the time. John has been by here a couple of times.

"When Mister Roberts shot you, Gretchen was charging him. His second shot went into the air when she hit him. She hit him hard enough to break his neck. He's dead. She was never taken into custody though there might be some further investigation. The police will not charge her and the district attorney isn't inclined that way either. Jennifer came out also told the police what she saw. She heard the first shot from inside and saw Gretchen charge and then heard the second shot that went into the air. Gretchen and Chastity are just outside waiting to see you when you wake.

"Apparently, Mister Roberts blamed you for John ordering them out of the room." I looked at her strangely. "I know. If you remember, that's what he was yelling at you." I nodded slowly.

"Now, the doctors will tell you more but you are expected to make a full recovery but it will take a while. The bullet missed your heart but nicked your lung. You were bleeding internally. They had to cut you open to stop the bleeding. Jack, they almost lost you on the operating table!" She had tears pouring down her cheeks.

I said, "It will be okay. Be patient with me."

A nurse came in and saw my eyes. "You're awake. That's good. I'll tell the doctor and your female guards." She smiled gently and left.

She came back in with Becky, Chastity, and Gretchen. Becky ran to the bed and kissed my cheek. "Oh, Dad. We've been worried. Everyone else will be here later." She kissed my cheek.

She gave up her position to Chastity. "Poppa Jack, you've had us all worried. We've been watching over you. Four churches are praying for you." She kissed my cheek.

Gretchen was crying. "Poppa, I couldn't get there quick enough. I'm so sorry!"

I looked at her and said softly, "My favorite valkyrie, you did fine. Thank you."

She looked at Sandy who nodded. Then, she kissed my lips tenderly. "I love you, Poppa."

Everyone was standing back looking at me. Sandy moved into the chair at one side and was holding my hand.

The nurse came back in with a doctor and a policeman. The doctor said, "I am Mack Abrams. I led the team operating on you." He felt me in different places and listened to me breathe and to my heart. "I want you to stay two more days in a regular room. You are in phenomenally good health. I expect a full recovery from you." He paused for a moment and gave all the ladies an appreciative glance with a little emphasis on Gretchen.

"Do you feel up to talking?" I nodded. "The policeman wants to ask you a few questions about what happened. We should have a regular room available for you by the time he's finished."

The policeman said, "I am Sergeant Franklin. Would everyone please leave?"

I said, "No. These are all relatives. They will stay."

He started to respond and was suddenly looking at Sandy and Gretchen who were both standing in his face. He looked at them for a moment and shrugged. "Mister Norris, would you tell me what happened?"

"Yes. When we married a couple of years ago, I moved in with my wife. We had rented out my condo to Gretchen and Chastity. When Mister Roberts drove up, he went to the door of my old condo and pounded on it. We called Chastity and Gretchen to pull into our drive from work rather than where he was parked. After talking a moment, Gretchen and I walked around from the back of our condo to the back of theirs. She and I opened the front door and walked out. Mister Roberts jumped from his car and shouted that his daughter's problems were all my fault. Before I knew what was happening, he shot me. I heard the pistol go off a second time as I fell. I blacked out and woke here about twenty minutes ago.

"I understand that Mister Roberts is dead. He was my ex-wife's father. Our divorce had been peaceful until about two months ago. I had refused to sit with my ex when our daughter married. I was remarried over two years ago to Sandy who I met after the divorce was final. I had avoided contact with her ever since the divorce had been filed. She has had some problems due to relationships that she developed after the divorce.

"I think Gretchen saved my life by stopping Mister Roberts."

He nodded. That's been our opinion from our investigation. I don't think the D.A. will have any charges though there might be a hearing.

"Thank you, sir. I hope you mend well." He grinned. "Your nurses are all gorgeous."

He left and the ladies surrounded me again. I lay there taking it easy with Sandy holding one hand and Gretchen holding the other. I simply rested.

The nurse came in and said, "We're going to move you. You sure have a number of very pretty daughters."

Chastity grinned. 'She's his real daughter." She pointed at Becky. "Gretchen and I are his love children." The nurse's eyes twinkled. Everyone including Sandy laughed at my expression.

The nurse said, "I don't think Mister Norris would put it quite that way. However, it's obvious that you all love him and he loves all of you.

"Mister Norris, I need to unhook you from the monitors. Other than that, the beds are the same and we'll move you, bed and all."

That's what she did. With another person to help, they wheeled me along a hall and up one floor to a regular room. She brought the bed to a halt in the new room and said, "Mister Norris, get well. You have lots of well-wishers." She smiled and left.

A moment later, a plump woman in her forties came in. "I am Linda Shipley, day nurse for this area. I need to take your vitals. Are all you ladies related to him?"

Chastity said pointing, "She's his wife, that's his daughter, and we're his love children." All of them were laughing at my face and Linda's look.

I said, "It's not quite that way. The first two references are correct. Gretchen and Chastity are mine and my wife's by an informal adoption.

"Chastity, if you keep that up, no one will let me back in church."

She grinned again. "But Poppa Jack, it's so much fun to watch the expression on your face!"

Nurse Shipley took my vitals, chuckling to herself as she did. She finished making her notations and left us. The four women were about to bust trying to hold in their laughter. Becky gave up first and started them laughing. Sandy was sitting next to me with Gretchen on the other side again. She was weak from laughing but looked at Gretchen and said, "Love child, hang on to him. This is so much fun. We're going to have to do this some more. I wonder what's going to be said when Reverend Robert comes to visit!" More laughter broke out.

At that point, there was a knock and Pam and John came in with Johnny in Pam's arms. John said, "Dad, how are you?"

"I will be pretty good if these women will calm down. Pam came over and kissed me and gave Johnny to Sandy. She smiled at me though I could tell she had been worried about me.

Sandy said, "Johnny be good, it's good to see you today." We could all hear him laugh.

John said, "What's been going on?"

Becky giggled. "It's all Chastity's fault. The nurses asked about the many daughters here. She identified Mom and me. She then told them that she and Gretchen were Dad's love children. Dad's face has been priceless." The laughter started again.

In the midst of the laughter, Mark walked in. "Is this where the wild party is for this afternoon?" Everybody laughed some more. Becky explained and he grinned.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.