Guardian Awakening - Cover

Guardian Awakening

Copyright© 2014 by C. Osborne Rapley

Chapter 20: The Artificial Intelligences

The lights in the bunker were dimmed. Tristan lay quietly on one of the settees in the lounge. His hands behind his head he gazed at the plain white ceiling. He could not sleep, even though he had been working with the planetary computers almost constantly for the past two days. Everyone required direct communication and authorisation from a Guardian to complete its final boot sequence.

The numbers went round and round in his head. Of the two hundred and fourteen Sicceian systems, one hundred and ninety-five originally had computers. Fifteen failed to boot up, so the final count left a shortage. Some of the shortages would be covered by adjacent systems, but there were ten planets that would not have an avatar appear in their assembly meeting.

Considering the length of time since the computer systems shutdown, the number available was astounding. He swung his legs off the settee and sat up. It says a lot for Lantian engineering. I just hope to God the plan works.

The Sicceians had to be intimidated, so he had discussed weapon options with Aesia and Dionysia. The universal laser weapons were clinical, practically silent, and known by everyone. The situation needed a terror weapon no one had ever seen before. Tristan had experience with compact submachine guns during his time in the Navy. He outlined the principle to Dionysia, who took the detail directly from his memory.

The result was spectacular. Dionysia transported Tristan and Aesia to a deserted area on the planet's surface for a test firing. The balance was almost perfect, vibration and recoil minimal, but the sound echoed around the valley they were standing in. Tristan fired at a small tree and the spray of slugs splintered it in seconds.

Aesia watched, eyes wide, with her hands over her ears and a grin spread across her face. "That is wonderful, let me try." Tristan handed her the weapon. She pulled the trigger and held it. Another tree disintegrated in a roar of sound and flame. "This is a real weapon! I want two of these things for myself." Tristan laughed. "Before I met you most women I knew would be happy with a bunch of flowers."

Aesia made a face. "Flowers! Puh!"

When they returned to the bunker, Tristan gave instructions that every avatar should be armed with two of these weapons. And appear in full Guardian armour.

He glanced at the clock for the hundredth time. Dionysia appeared in front of him. "Tristan you need to sleep."

"What? Yes I know, but I can't sleep too much is at stake tomorrow and there are so many things that can go wrong."

"I can help you sleep."

"No! I have never taken anything to help me sleep, and I never will."

Dionysia laughed. "I don't mean drugs."

"It is very un-computer like of you to laugh, Dion..."

He was being shaken. "Tristan, wake up" He opened his eyes and blinked adjusting to the light. "Aesia?"

"Yes, it is time to get ready. Your clothes are over there." She indicated a chair with a green Guardian uniform hanging across it.

Tristan swung his legs round stood and gently cupped Aesia's chin in his hand, tilting her face up to his. He kissed her. "I will get ready."

The scheduled time for the assembly meetings was fast approaching. Tristan paced up and down double-checking everything. He had sent a message to the League high command using Dionysia's quantum communicator ordering them to stay back behind the current border and avoid any conflict until he contacted them again.

The Guardian dress uniform was stiff and uncomfortable. His battle armour folded into the belt made it seem heavy and bulky. He practiced deploying the armour several times for his own peace of mind. It reliably unfolded and covered him, but he was mindful of three or four-second delay before he was fully protected.

He strapped the machine pistols to his hips after checking the clips; he was ready. They had agreed that Dionysia's avatar should stand by the entrance and watch his back to warn him of any possible attack while he was concentrating on the delegates. He insisted she was armed with the gun he had designed during his virtual training. Aesia reluctantly agreed to stay behind with Tristain.

"Has the assembly convened yet, Dionysia?"

"Yes, Tristan, they are currently discussing the missing peace delegation."

"OK, let's go." A now familiar lurch and he was standing in the middle of the Sicceian assembly. There were gasps and the scraping of numerous chairs at his sudden appearance. Simultaneously, the planetary AIs carried out their instructions and most of the assemblies had a fully armoured Guardian appear in their midst. The Sicceian communications were overridden, and the proceedings were being transmitted to all the planets and fleets.

Tristan looked round the assembly hall, a large area with a sweep of tiered seats facing a raised dais behind which were a wall of screens. He stood on the Dias with the screens behind him, a sea of faces looking back at him. A cacophony of raised voices bounced off the walls. He took a deep breath, his heart almost bouncing off his ribs with every beat. Frowning, he raised his right hand. "Silence!" His senses were on edge among the clamour and he felt determined hostility from a group to his right. "I said SILENCE."

They were drawing weapons.

"Put your weapons DOWN." He could have taken them out by force of mind alone, but there had to be a demonstration of power, rather than a quiet collapse. He sent a telepathic command causing his body armour to unfold around him, at the same time he pulled the machine pistols from their holsters.

Aiming high, he fired a short burst above their heads. The sound reverberated around the room as the slugs rammed into the wall, sending fragments of plaster flying. "Put your weapons down NOW." The noise died away, leaving a silence only broken by someone coughing. Two continued to raise laser pistols. Tristan turned towards them "Any defiance will be met with deadly force!"

Laser fire splashed against his armour causing the cooling unit to kick in. Tristan fired again. The desks in front of them disintegrated, their bodies shuddered and crumpled backwards as the hail of lead hit them. Blood splattered the delegates around them. As the echoes died away several delegates screamed.

He had to control the situation and prevent panic. "Please, all remain SEATED." He re-enforced the command with a strong telepathic compulsion.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.