Guardian Awakening - Cover

Guardian Awakening

Copyright© 2014 by C. Osborne Rapley

Chapter 17: Sicceia

Aesia landed the craft in a small flat area in front of the main house. She shut down the ships systems and opened the main hatch.

Tristan walked behind Aesia as she had instructed him to and followed her to the house. Traditional slave garb included a hood that could be pulled forward to cover the eyes. A slave should not make eye contact with any of the masters. For Tristan, the outfit added to the anonymity and covered the differences between him and the known species.

They had landed on a bright sunny afternoon. Well stocked flower boarders buzzed with insects, and exotic scents assailed his senses. Tristan glanced at the house from under his hood as they turned up a colonnade of trees leading to curved steps that in turn led to a double wooden door.

It was a large two-storey mansion, with delicate spires on each corner. White marble glinted in the sun. Tristan stifled a whistle. Aesia's family were aristocracy, or very rich at least, compared to some of the buildings and villages they had flown over during their journey there.

A few people were working in the manicured gardens surrounding the house. Aesia had told him, to keep up appearances, her parents had to have slaves; however, they were treated more like employees and even had time to themselves, something unheard-of in normal Sicceian households.

Aesia walked up the steps, opened the door and walked in. Tristan followed her, the air cool in the marble lined hall after the warmth of outside. A maid cleaning the polished stone floor looked up when they entered, her eyes wide with surprise. She stood, wiped her hands on her apron and bowed.

"Mistress Aesia, we weren't expecting you."

"That's all right, don't worry about it. Where's my mother?"

The woman shot a puzzled glance at Tristan standing in the shadows. "Um ... she is in the garden with Tristain."

"Thank you Nesia." Aesia looked back at Tristan with a nonchalant expression on her face. "You will attend me." Tristan bowed his head slightly. He followed her through to the back of the house. He tried to ignore the thousand butterflies that had launched themselves in his stomach. He was about to meet his daughter and Aesia's mother for the first time. They had agreed during their journey that Tristan should not be identified to the child just in case she said something to someone and put all of them in danger.

They stepped out of glass doors into the beautiful sunlit ornamental garden. A woman watching a small child draw pictures sat at a low table. The child and the woman turned as they approached.

As soon as Tristain saw her mother, she jumped up and ran to her, shouting, "Mummy, you're back!"

Aesia knelt down and opened her arms to catch the running child. With subtle differences to her ears, she was almost a small version of her mother. Aesia hugged the child, "Were you good for your grandmother while I was gone, my darling?"

The child pulled away slightly and nodded. "Oh Yes." She paused. "Did you bring me a present, Mummy?"

Aesia shook her head. "I'm afraid I didn't have time, Tristain."

A frown momentarily passed across the child's face before the smile returned. "Oh well, it doesn't matter. At least you're home safe." When Tristain stood back he saw her eyes. They were comparatively smaller than her mother's eyes, with round pupils. They were human eyes.

The older woman had stood up and was walking towards them. The child turned and started jumping up and down, "Grandmother! My Mummy is home!"

The woman nodded. "Yes dear, I can see." Tristan turned his attention to the older woman. There were lines on her face and around her eyes with streaks of grey in her fair hair that she wore pulled back in a clip. She was still, nonetheless, a very attractive woman.

Aesia kissed her mother on the cheek. "Hello Mother."

"Well, what has happened, Aesia? No one has heard anything since you left." She glanced at Tristan, a slight frown on her face "Where is your father?"

Aesia stepped back. "We can't talk here, Mother. I will tell you later." The older woman nodded. She turned to Tristan.

"And what is that?" she asked. Tristan noted she had a hard edge to her voice now. The child noticed Tristan for the first time and clung to her mother's leg, hiding in the folds of her dress.

"Mother, it is a slave I found on my way back. It is apparently very rare, and I could not resist getting it."

The older woman's frown deepened. "Have you not learned anything since you returned to us? You know what your father thinks about slavery. He would not want you returning to the old ways you learned in school."

"No, Mother," Aesia said. "But I have my reasons. Can we leave it until we are alone, please?"

Her mother's eyes narrowed, staring at her. "Hum, yes, it seems that you do have a lot to tell me, Aesia. Would you like something to eat or drink?"

Aesia nodded. "Yes please." The two women walked back to the house, holding the child's hands between them. Tristain dragged her feet so they would swing her between them.

Tristan followed behind, as he was required to do. In the house, the child ran off to play. Aesia and her mother sat down together in one of the reception rooms.

Aesia's mother spoke with a maid as they entered. "Shariah, can you get the cook to prepare some lunch for us please?" The maid nodded and ran off to organise some food. Tristan stood in the shadows at the back of the room.

Aesia turned to him. "You, get me a stool." Tristan looked round, saw a stool, and carried it over to her. As he bent down to place the stool under her feet, he shot her a furtive glance. Don't get too comfortable with this mistress and slave thing. A faint smile played on the edge of her mouth.

"Aesia, I don't like this," her mother said.

Aesia spoke again to Tristan. "Shut the door and the windows and then return to your place." Tristan bowed his head and dutifully did as he was told. She's enjoying this.

There was a knock on the door, and the maid brought in a tray of food. She placed it on a small table between the two women. She cast a glance at Tristan in the corner before leaving the room and shutting the door. Aesia waited for a few moments then rose and checked the door making sure no one was eaves-dropping.

Her mother watched her with a curious expression on her face. "Aesia, what is going on?"

"Mother, what you are about to hear must not leave this room. If anyone finds out, it would put Tristain's life in danger."

Her mother looked concerned. "Should you tell me then?" Aesia nodded. "Yes, as we may need your help."

"Who do you mean, we?" her mother asked.

Aesia turned to Tristan and said, "Mother, I would like you to meet Tristain's father, Tristan. Tristan, my mother Ewain."

Tristan stepped forward. "I am very pleased to meet you, Madam."

Ewain's eyes went wide; her hands flew to her mouth. "But Aesia, you told us he was dead!"

"I thought he had been killed on the ship that rescued us, but after they shipped me back home he escaped."

Ewain turned to Tristan "I'm sorry, I forget my manners." She held out her hand. "Hello Tristan, I have heard a lot about you." She paused. "I can see where Tristain gets her eyes from." Tristan took her hand for a moment and remained silent.

Aesia shifted uncomfortably in her chair. "Mother, as you know, Father and I went as part of a peace delegation to open negotiations with the leader of the League."

Ewain frowned. "Yes, I know that."

Aesia's voice cracked as she rose and went to kneel by her mother, taking her hands. Tears formed in her eyes. "Mother, none of us knew about a plot to kill the League leader. One of the aides had been a hurried replacement for Teresian who suddenly took ill. Unfortunately, he had a bomb surgically implanted. We believe he planned to detonate it once the negotiations had started. League security discovered the bomb so he tried to kill the members of our peace delegation." She took a deep breath and tightened her grip on her mother's hands. "All three senior delegates, including Father, were killed in the blast. I'm sorry." Ewain gasped. Aesia leaned forward, put her arms round her mother's shoulders, and held her.

After a short while Ewain asked, "What about the League leader? Did you still meet him, Aesia, and explain, or will this war go on forever?" She shook her head. "I had hoped this meeting was the beginning of the end and that your father would bring home the chance of peace."

Aesia dropped her arms and rocked back on her heels. "Yes Mother, I met the League's leader, Admiral Clayandrian. He is extraordinary. He has telepathic abilities as we do, only far more powerful than any of our species has ever been." She threw Tristan a quick glance.

"So where is he now? Is he going to continue with the war because of this and destroy us?" Ewain shuddered.

"No, Mother, he's here. You have just met him. It's Tristan."

Ewain's jaw dropped. "You're not serious! Tristain's father is Admiral Clayandrian?"

"Yes, I am serious."

Ewain shook her head. "I don't believe it, I can't believe it - Aesia what have you done? You have taken probably the most powerful being in the known galaxy for a mate!"

"I hadn't thought of it like that, but yes, Mother." She turned and smiled at Tristan. "Yes."

With eyebrows raised, Ewain took Aesia's face in her hands and stared intently at her. "I can see the bond is strong and fruitful."

Aesia flushed, a shy smile on her lips. "Mother!"

"Your Father will be..." A shudder shook Ewain's body; she fumbled with her hair for a moment. "Would have been fascinated and proud."

"Oh Mother."

"I'm all right, Aesia. I will mourn later."

With a sigh, Aesia rose and returned to her chair.

Shifting in her chair, Ewain turned to Tristan. "So what are you doing here, and what is someone like you doing with my daughter?"

"Madam," Tristan replied. "I have come to try and end this war and stop the needless killing and destruction."

Ewain shook her head. "How can Aesia be involved?"

Aesia interrupted, "Mother, it is a long story, and we do not have time now. Tristan has blocked all news of the bombing from getting out. So far, the plotters know nothing. They will be reluctant to make a move until they are sure the League leader is dead. As far as they are concerned, the only person who knows anything is me. The plan is I will lead them to Tristan, who will take the necessary action."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.