Guardian Awakening - Cover

Guardian Awakening

Copyright© 2014 by C. Osborne Rapley

Chapter 16: The Plan

Tristan sat in the lounge section of his quarters, staring out the view port. Countless stars shone back at him. The Milky Way arched across thick and dense in this region of space. The ever-present hum of the ship masked Aesia's breathing as she lay sleeping in the bed across the room.

The steward had knocked to tidy his room, but Tristan had sent him away.

Aesia was an integral part of the plan he had devised and had to be willing to help. It would put her in danger, something Tristan was reluctant to do, but he could think of no alternative.

"Tristan?" Aesia's sleepy voice interrupted his train of thought.

"Yes, I'm here."

He stood and walked over to the bed. She stretched languorously and smiled up at him. Her long hair scattered across the pillow framing her face. "What time is it?"

"Late afternoon."

"Oh, you let me sleep." She held up her arms. "Come here."

A while later they sat at Tristan's dining table, eating an evening meal he had delivered to his quarters. He waited until Aesia had finished.

"Aesia?"

She looked up, wiping her mouth with a napkin. "Yes?" She tilted her head to one side.

"I have a plan to speed the ending of this war I need to discuss with you." He sensed her demeanour harden.

"And punish those who murdered my father?"

Tristan nodded. "Yes, that too. But it's not without risk."

She smiled. "Now I have you back I can face anything."

Tristan took a deep breath and sighed. "We need to know who in the Sicceian government are responsible for sabotaging the peace talks. I have ensured there is an information blackout here so no one outside our small flotilla knows what happened. If you return home as if nothing has happened, I'm sure they will try to contact you one way or another. They will be desperate to know why you have returned unharmed and alone."

Aesia frowned. "Yes, but how does that help?"

"I will be with you."

Aesia's eyes went wide. "What? No they will kill you!"

Tristan smiled. "They won't even see me. You will lead me to them, and I will get the information without them even knowing."

Aesia stared at him. "How?"

"You have a slave society, do you take any notice of personal slaves?"

She shook her head "No ... They are ignored." Her puzzled expression suddenly changed to understanding. "You will pretend to be my personal slave?"

"Yes."

She was silent for a moment. "You could go anywhere I go, no one would even give you a second glance." She paused to think. "But how would you get the information you need?"

Tristan glanced down at his hands for a moment before replying. I have learnt a lot since we were last together Aesia. "I can get the information directly from a Sicceian's mind, control them and make them do things, even things they don't want to do."

A look of horror crossed her face. "Can you control me in that way?"

Tristan shook his head. "No, there is a risk your mind could be permanently damaged. It can even kill if I'm not careful." Aesia sat silently looking at him. He smiled shyly at her. "Because of our unique connection, you would sense it instantly." She reached across the table, and Tristan took her hands in his. His hands tingled at her touch.

"You will need to be convincing when you treat me as your slave, can you do that Aesia?"

She laughed, eyes sparkling. "Oh yes, very easily."

Tristan smiled wryly. "Hmm ... I'm sure it will be."

"Now, I have to convince the senior officers and the Emperor that it will work. I will have to get them to agree to let me go, and I will be safe with you." Tristan rose and walked to the door. Before he turned the handle, he turned back to Aesia. "Stay here out of sight and wait until I get back. Lock the door after I leave and I will ensure the guard does not grant anyone entry. You're not safe here on your own, many of the crew would kill you as soon as they saw you and think nothing of it."

Aesia shuddered. "Don't worry, I have no intention of exploring your ship."

"OK see you soon then." Tristan opened the door and stepped out. He paused while he heard her turn the lock. The guard had changed. Tristan walked up to him. "Terantin isn't it?"

"Yes, sir." He saluted and stood stiffly to attention.

'No one is to enter my quarters while I'm away, and that includes the stewards, is that clear?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Good." Tristan walked through to his ready room behind the ship's bridge. He sat down with his elbows resting on his desk, fingers pressed together. He pursed his lips. Is this the right thing to do, what alternatives are there? He counted them off as he thought of them.

One, do nothing. The war will continue for at least another year with many more deaths before it is over. Then there are the special ships the Sicceian's built, where are they? What do I do with Aesia, she can't stay with me, and someone is bound to make an attempt on her life.

Two, make a concerted thrust straight for Sicciea. Maybe end the war earlier, but at a cost of high causalities, and they could flank us or come in behind with those damn missing ships. And Aesia? "I must not let personal things get in the way or reduce my effectiveness." He spoke out loud remonstrating with himself. But, I can't help myself, he sighed. I'm bloody useless!

Three, make use of the opportunity to go to Sicceia, exploit their slave society and take out the hard liners, then get support from the Sicceian moderates. Risky, but if it works the war will end, and thousands will be saved. If it doesn't work and I'm killed? The alliance is strong enough to win now, so no loss to them; option one will still be valid. Aesia will be on her home world and she could disown a renegade slave if I'm careful not to implicate her.

He took a deep breath. His decision made, he pressed the intercom for the officer of the watch. "Can you send Admiral Da'ren my compliments and ask him to report to me at his earliest convenience please." The officer saluted and turned to do as he was asked.

Ten minutes later there was a knock at the door. Tristan looked up "Enter" Da'ren walked in. "Please shut the door, sit down and make yourself comfortable." Tristan waited until Da'ren was seated before outlining his plan.

"Da'ren, I believe an opportunity has presented itself that could well end the war and save hundreds of thousands of lives." Da'ren shifted in his chair a slight frown on his face. Tristan laughed. "Don't look so worried."

"Oh, I'm not worried, it's just your plans usually involve our going through the gates of hell and facing almost insurmountable odds."

"We always come out the other side don't we?"

"Hum ... But, sometimes it's touch and go."

"Well this time the only person at risk is me."

Da'ren's frown depend. "This doesn't involve your 'Wife' by any chance does it?"

Tristan smiled wryly. "She will play a central role, yes."

"Can you trust her Tristan? You've not seen her for four years, then she appears by chance and in less than two days she is central to a plan to end this war. Have you considered this might all be an elaborate plan to get to you?"

"Da'ren, I would trust her with my life."

"I have the feeling that is what you are going to do, and I suppose I can't talk you out of it?"

"No Da'ren. I have weighed up all the practical alternatives, and this is the best option."

"OK, what's your plan?"

"First the fewer people who know about this the better."

"Right." Da'ren settled back in his chair.

"So, the detail. I want you to hold the line where it currently is. All the systems along the border are uninhabited, and the fleets are now capable of holding any attack the Sicceians may launch. If nothing changes, and nothing is leaked, they will be unsure of what is happening and hopefully hold off.

"I intend to go to the Sicceian home world and flush out the ones behind the plot to sabotage the peace. Once the dissenters have been eliminated, it should allow the peace movement to gain control. Then there will be no danger for me. If I fail, the war will continue, but at least the League is strong enough to defeat the Sicceians without me. However, if things go wrong then many more lives will be lost before the end. I want to prevent that from happening; there has been far too much death and destruction."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.