I found the 2017 VAT rates with Google. For those of you familiar with them, I have some questions.
1. For Germany, under 7% it says "excluding e-books." Does that mean an e-book is 19% ("All other taxable goods and services)?
2. For France, under 5.5% it says, "books (excluding those with pornographic or violent content); e-books." Does the porn part relate to e-books too? And how would they know? If it does I'll have to use 20% (not for the novel I'm about to publish, but others)
3. For Italy, under 4% it says, "for certain books." How do I know if my book is a "certain book"? If it's not, it's 22% (big difference).
4. For Spain, it says 4% for some books (excluding ebooks) so I assume Spain is 21%. Right?
5. Looks like U.K. is 20%. Is that right?
Are there any other countries with a VAT that I need to worry about? Australia? Canada? India? Japan? Others?