Eden Rescue - Cover

Eden Rescue

Copyright© 2014 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 41

After considerable thought and discussion they decided they needed to bring the Edenites into their confidence.

Heisinger at first was dead set against it, joined by her new husband.

"They don't trust us, trust our diversity," she said. "Don't you remember, Amanda? That was the old mother's big point that first day in their nest. They think together, in harmony; we don't, in dissonance. That's a difference we certainly don't want to emphasize right now."

"You have a point, Alicia," Meiersdottir replied ruminatively.

"And this is such a key issue!" Heisinger continued, encouraged. "I mean, we invited them to come, urged them even. And to tell them now, when we're not even there yet, that there's a faction that so strongly opposes their coming, is that really how we want to start off? We should at least try to present a united front, show them we're all together in this. It's like you invite somebody as your houseguest and then tell them, oh, by the way, Aunt Hepzibah's dead set against your coming at all, but it's OK, if you'll help we can get around her all right."

They all laughed. "Good analogy, Al," said Igwanda. "It's not my house or my family, I don't want to get in the middle. If I'm told that anybody there doesn't want me I couldn't feel welcome, I'd just as soon pass the invitation."

"Nae," MacPherson contradicted. "'Tis no' a guid analogy a' all. A housegues' can say yea orr nae wi'oo' consequences. Wha' we offerr is a lifeboa', th'only chance o' survival they ha'e. Yer Aun' wha's-'err-name canna jus' say nae o' herr whim, an' ye'rre justifie' in askin' help t' o'ercome herr objections. An' we migh' need theirr help."

"Angus is right," Meiersdottir decided abruptly. "Alicia, Carlie, they know already that we don't all agree on this or anything else. Don't you remember Gagugakhing, that Gaguga­khing, asked me point-blank and I had to tell her no, not every human wanted them to come? They'll know that too, the collective will have all the memories, so it won't surprise them. And if we handle it right, it won't make them feel unwelcome, either. But the real point is, we may indeed need their help if things go badly."

It was her final argument that carried the day. The plan they'd devised didn't call for a major confrontation; but, as MacPherson quoted from his country's best-known poet, "th' bes'-laid plans o' mice an' men gang aft a-gley." A breakdown in theirs, or simply the unexpected, could result in a conflict in which Edenite backup might spell the difference between success and failure.

"I guess," Igwanda summed up with a shrug. "The real stake is their lives, isn't it? So it maybe makes sense to read them in now. Al?"

His wife finally acquiesced, and the decision was unanimous.

There was also unanimous agreement that it should be Meiersdottir, as both the most experienced among them at spinning unpleasant facts and the one who knew the Edenites best, who presented the case to them. She did so the next day, when Akakhakhing and the male Aikun came again to visit her in her cabin.

"There's a matter I must speak about," she said after they'd exchanged greetings and she'd again assured the Edenite mother that she was not feeling significant pain. "It's not a hap­py one, and I wish I didn't have to bring it up, but I must."

She paused. There was, as usual with the Edenites, no verbal response, but both looked at her expectantly.

"I think you have the memories of what's gone before, is that right?"

"That is right, Amanda," said the mother. The males were usually silent when a female was with them.

"Do you remember then what was said when I visited your nest on Eden to warn you of the destruction that was coming to your world?"

"Yes."

"I told you then that most of us, most humans, wanted you to come to our world, Earth," she said. "I think you can see that by this great ship that we built for you. Many, many people, many humans—we call ourselves 'people' among us—worked long and hard to make this ship so we could come for you."

"Ship is name Ark, same name you give to ship that in story save you from great water," put in Akakhakhing unexpectedly. "Alicia has told us this. We say to you what we said to her, that it is to us good that you name this ship so."

"Yes, I knew she'd told you that story. Did she also tell you that Noah, the one who built the original ark, wasn't supported by some of the people who lived then? That they didn't agree with him?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.