Lormia and Ree'al - Cover

Lormia and Ree'al

Copyright© 2014 by novascriptus

Chapter 5

Three weeks after the fight, Ree'al began to gently stretch his arm. Lormia massaged his chest to keep the healing muscle from attaching to other tissue. Ree'al massaged Lormia's chest as often as she'd allow him.

Their walks had become longer and on this day they passed a book store. Book stores were rare and Ree'al insisted they go inside.

"You can read, can't you?" he asked.

"Of course I can stupid. I just don't like to."

"Would you rather have a kiss?" he asked.

"Yes, a small one."

Ree'al brushed his lips across hers and whispered, "My lovely Mia."

She kissed him back, a much more passionate kiss.

"Mia," Ree'al said once he had his lips back. "Either come into the bookstore or I'll take you here in the street."

"You're too weak to take me in the street," she replied. "I'll save you the embarrassment." Pulling away from Ree'al she opened the door.

The store was empty. Not empty of books, there were hundreds of books, a gold mine of books, all colors and all sizes. The store was empty of people. Ree'al began to pick up books while Lormia wandered through the store.

"Mia," Ree'al said excitedly. "Here is a map of Amanora."

"Ree'al," Lormia said looking back over her shoulder. "Here is a shopkeeper."

"Ask him how much this map will cost me."

"Ask him yourself," she replied. "But ask loudly. I think he's deaf."

Ree'al joined Lormia and watched as the shopkeeper wrote with a quill on a large piece of parchment. He was an old man, well over seventy. He had white hair and a huge white beard.

"Is that a map that he's working on?" Ree'al asked.

"Ree'al do you have some strange map fetish that you haven't told me about?"

"No, but I do have a strange sword partner."

She put her arm around his waist. "Since we've used the third sword in a fight, I think we've gone past being sword partners."

"You've gone far past what you should say in front of me," the shopkeeper spoke.

"It wasn't really a fight," Ree'al said as Lormia blushed.

"Young man, please," the shopkeeper said. "Change the subject or move along."

"What is that you're working on?" Ree'al asked.

"It's a map of the area around this town."

"I can read," Ree'al said dryly. "But what are those lines. I've never seen them on a map before."

"They are lines that tell the height of the land," the shop keeper looked up from his work. "Each line is 100 feet. This is the hill to the north above the town." He pointed at a closely packed oval set of curves.

"The closer the lines, the steeper the slope," Ree'al was thinking out loud.

"So, you're smart as well as educated," the shopkeeper said. "And these wide lines are the pasture south of the town."

"Will you teach me how to make a map like this?" Ree'al asked.

"It's too much trouble," the shopkeeper turned his chair to face the couple. "What do you have to offer?"

Ree'al glanced at Lormia. "Don't say it unless you mean it," she said. The hawk shone in her eyes once again.

"Do you have a map of Sulvara?" Ree'al asked as he turned his eye back to the map.

"No one has a map of Sulvara," the shopkeeper said.

"I do and I'll let you copy mine if you will teach me how to produce these height maps."

"Done," the shopkeeper said. "Be here tomorrow at 8:00 and bring your map."


That night as they lay together, Lormia turned Ree'al's head so he faced her. "That wasn't funny in the bookshop today."

"What wasn't?" Ree'al asked.

"You were going to pretend to offer me to the shopkeeper."

"It wasn't my best joke or even a good joke, but it was a joke."

"But it's not funny," she said. "I've opened up to you and still you say nothing. You were going to pretend that you could give me away for a map."

"I'm so sorry Mia. I was thoughtless and cruel to you, but know that I've done much worse. Darsonus almost understood all of what I did, but he was killed before he could put the pieces together."

Ree'al took a deep breath and started his story. "You know that I was married to Darnella. But you don't know that it was in name only. We didn't love each other. We pretended to love each other and we went about trying to make an heir."

"I loved my brother's wife Issyl and she loved me. We never consummated our love but that love had to be obvious to Darnella and to my younger brother Naroso. I know I hurt them but what could I do?"

"That night the palace was full of assassins," Ree'al continued. "I fought off those sent to kill me and ran to the King's room to protect him. At least that's what I tell myself. I ran past Naroso's and Issyl's room. He was hard pressed and I joined the fight to help him. In the confusion one of the wounded assassins moved to strike down Issyl. I don't know why I did it, but I threw my tanja at him, taking him in the throat. I broke the most basic of our taboos."

"Ree'al, if I."

"Please let me finish," Ree'al said quietly. "I could accept what I had done; I knew what price I would pay and I could accept it. When I got to the king's room he was safe."

"I went back to my room, to gather clothes and to say good­bye to Darnella. She was dead. Cut down by an assassin while I fought for my brother's wife. I didn't mind throwing the tanja when it was just ruining my life, but I can't accept that by my inaction, I killed my own wife."

"If I could have thrown the dagger at Janarus' killer I would gladly have done it," Lormia said. "My marriage was also an arranged marriage. I didn't love my husband either but I would have saved him if I could."

"It took me a long time to realize that fact," Lormia said. "But I realized it and how it made me a coward. You're actions are different. Throwing you tanja didn't break the taboos because you did it to save an innocent. Your love for her has nothing to do with the taboo. Your action was honorable."

Lormia paused. Here comes the hard part, she thought. "Your responsibility was to protect the king and any heir to the throne, your brother was an heir. You saved him and went to protect the king, only leaving after he was safe. That was your duty. You did your duty. Your duty caused your wife's death, not a choice you made. If you hadn't helped your brother, would he have survived?"

"No," Ree'al said grudgingly.

"So you saved an heir," Lormia said. "And you protected an innocent with whatever means was necessary. The book on the table, the book you always read, what does it say about protecting innocents?"

"I'd guess you've read it and you think you know," he answered sullenly.

"Don't be stupid. I'm not going to let myself fall in love with a stupid man. You know what it says and yet you blame yourself. What did the council say?"

"I didn't hang around for their decision."

"You fucking idiot!" She bolted up yelling at him. "Now it makes sense! Do you remember what Ranelus' son said?"

"Not really, I was concentrating on other matters at the time," Ree'al said defensively.

"Well I do. You said 'Ree'al, once of the clan Jarnessa' and he said 'What do you mean once?'"

"Gods! Do you think I am still in the clan?"

"Yes they seem to be playing a hand in this," Lormia said. "Get your sword and it better not be that one."

"It is close at hand."

"Bring me a real sword not that tiny thing."

"Now that was just mean," Ree'al said as he grabbed his ginja. "Here."

"Look at it," she ordered. "To you it's the best balanced weapon in the world. To me it's a cheap sword. You remove the honor marks and they reappear. Your ancient tanja broke a ginja. If the wielder of that ginja was as good as you say his sword wouldn't be a cheap sword. Men constantly attack you for no reason. You're not being blown about by the wind. The Gods are kicking you in the balls."

Ree'al's mind was reeling. What was it that Monverus said? The facts all fit, could Lormia be right? He hadn't lost his honor!

"I must go home," he said.

"You swore to take me to Amamorn."

"Then we'll go to Sulvara from Amamorn," Ree'al was thinking out loud. "Depending on the winds it will take two or three months to get there."

"You take for granted that I'll go with you," Lormia said. "You take a lot of things for granted. You don't own me."

"Mia I agree, I don't own you nor can I tell you what to do, but my life is better with you than without you. If you feel differently, tell me now, save us both more trouble down the trail."

"Don't think you own me. Don't take me for granted. That's all I ask for."

"You ask for very little. I'll do my part."


Five days later the left the small town and headed north toward Amamorn, their destination clearly marked a map bought from the shopkeeper. They wore new clothes but brought no guards as Lormia suggested. Ree'al convinced her that if guards were really needed, they would die quickly and needlessly.

Their new clothes bore devises that were not the traditional gold on white of the Jarnessa Clan. Instead they wore scarlet trimmed in gold, the colors of Ree'al's honor marks. The clothes were traveling clothes but expensive. To those they might meet, their clothes announced them as people of importance.

Their pace was limited by Ree'al's condition. Although his chest was healing as it should, the black mushroom had taken its toll on his body. Another month or two would be needed to get into shape. Still longer would be required for the muscle to heal completely. For now he still wore a sling to remind him not to use his left arm.

For the most part, they traveled in silence, but suddenly Ree'al asked,

"Do you remember your promise?"

"Of course," Lormia said.

"I relieve you of it."

"What?" Lormia suddenly stopped. "What do you mean when you say you relieve me of it?" She was suspicious, Ree'al was grinning.

"I mean just what I said. You can accept proper challenges when they arise."

"Proper challenges?" Lormia didn't like the way that sounded.

"Of course," Ree'al smiled at her. "As my companion you can only be properly challenged by a woman of equal rank."

"Bastard."

"You need to stop saying that about my late mother." Ree'al maintained a smug smile.

"So I can no longer fight. Is that what you're saying," The flash in her eyes warned Ree'al to step carefully.

"Oh no, no, no, no, no. Feel free to kill any assassin. I'm not in possession of my throne and we're sure to meet some unkind people in our journey."


South, in River Town, three Sulvarans sat at a tavern table again talking quietly. "What information do you have now?" The old warrior spoke.

"He is headed to Amamorn," my Lord.

"Amamorn? Where is Amamorn?"

"It's in the far north, my Lord."

"Why is he going to Amamorn? This makes no sense."

"No, my Lord, but he's taking a woman to Amamorn."

"Is she his lover or something?" Another warrior asked.

"No, that is the strangest part. There was much enmity between them. Also the large warrior has not been seen."

"Could he have been killed when Rhohala was?"

"Perhaps my Lord."

"We must find him in time. Send all our warriors toward Amamorn. We leave now."

"As you wish, my Lord."


Not two days later, in a village called Hendrik's, Ree'al met some of the unkind people. He and Lormia were eating dinner when two men came in the door.

"Oh Gods! Look at the door. We're about to meet two more Troubles," she said.

Two Sulvarans had entered the tavern. They were Valnessa but were confused by the device on Ree'al's jacket."

"Mia," Ree'al said with a grin. "Place you blade on the table. Since both sides are sharp, they won't know what to think."

The men at the door conferred and one approached the table. He stopped six feet away and showed that his hands were empty. Ree'al looked away from him and at Lormia. She never took her eyes from the Valnessan, but she reach out and turned her sword over. Ree'al looked back at the man and gave the smallest of nods.

The man sat down. He was nervous and unsure of himself. "Well?" Ree'al asked.

"I am Vanus da Valnessa."

"Good for you," Lormia said.

"Are you trying to provoke me?" Vanus asked.

"Until you give proper respect," Lormia said. "Yes I am. You're speaking to Danjaris Ree'al da Jarnessa. You will address him as Lord and treat him with the honor he deserves."

Vanus slowly rose from his chair. He gave a deep bow say, "Forgive me, My Lord. I did not recognize your device as Jarnessan."

Yes! Lormia thought. I was right.

"Please be seated Vanus before we proceed to any unpleasant business," Ree'al said.

To Lormia he said, "Easy my love. These are honorable men, aren't they?"

"Yes, my Lord," Vanus said softly. "All here tonight are honorable."

"Good," Ree'al said. "Then go give your weapons to your friend and come back. We can talk about whatever you want." While he was away Ree'al spoke to Lormia, "Put your blade away but take a dagger out. Make sure he sees it, but act relaxed."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.