Not Living on Sponge Cake Alone
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2014 by Jerrod

Kathy at Alice’s Restaurant, in this case, Monica’s though.

Well (Yeah, I know, a ‘deep’ subject) it looked a lot like the kitchen at home just missing a few dozen things. Standing front and centre was the head chef, and no that did not mean he made the salads out of lettuce. Next to him stood two girls, 16, 17, 18 was her guess. Monica’s instructions were very clear. She said nothing, just ran to get ready then ran outside to the car when it got there.

Never let it be said though that when it came to food that Kathy was ever at a lack. Her next words would make or break her new staff. “Staff, your names, rank and food group, begin.” She pointed to the chef. She got a surprised response.

“Vito, I am the head chef, meats, fish and entrees are my specialty.”

“Next.”

“I am Monique; I make the soups, salads and several desserts.”

“Fine, next.”

“I am her sister Bridget, I get to do everything that they tell me to do, and this is all new to me. This is Mom’s place, why are you here?”

“Thank you. Let me answer your good question in a minute, Hon. Vito, if you had to serve 25 or so dinners tonight, what would you do?”

“Ha, easy; I’d quit and run as fast as I could. I don’t think we have enough ingredients for even 4 or 5 dinners, in case you haven’t noticed this place is not exactly overcrowded.”

“Let me re-phrase what I said, since we are serving 25 - 30 exceptional meals with red and white wines, salads, veggies and 3 deserts this evening, write down, all of you what you need. In 10 minutes, you will tell Jake everything you need. In the meantime start a chowder or potatoes/leek soup. For desert, we will have apple pie and some custard with crisps for dippers. Shrimp cocktails and some breaded mushroom caps. I will assume you have most if not all of that. When Jake calls back, I want filet, lamb and some veal dishes for tonight, tell him enough for 20 of each. Girls call in four or five replacements for yourselves; you will be coming to our house after dinner, so have them start today. Vito, get several assistants, stat and if you are any good why do you stay?”

I am very good chef, we were a Michelin 4 star 2 years ago before...”

Kathy saw the look in his eyes, the pride when he spoke and she saw something else. It was unspoken but it answered her question and begged another.

“I see; does Monica know Vito.”

He shook his head no.

“Girls, new orders, replacements for lunch, more for early evening, still more for evening. Vito, 2 chefs for lunch, 1 head chef and try others at night. Jake will call Wednesday, tell him what you need for the next week, he will have it delivered. You will have 1 year to get your stars back and run this place, as it should. Monica will be busy moving and redecorating her new house, so she will need your ‘help’. You need to move in there and get your ‘heads together’ to plan things out better.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.