Not Living on Sponge Cake Alone - Cover

Not Living on Sponge Cake Alone

Copyright© 2014 by Jerrod

Chapter 2

The boat was near 38’ and perfect for a day, or even overnight of fishing, if seas were not too bad, that is. Around here you never know. Florida had changed in the last few years and not for the better. Even the fishing required more red tape and many catches now had limits on them.

Even though all the engines started up OK and ran, I noticed one was sputtering and another sluggish. I would get extra plugs and new props for all three. I called in for them to add those things to my order. The ride up seemed lonely now. Mary and Jennifer had been a breath of fresh air. I noticed myself falling into depression without them around. ‘I might as well get used to it’, I thought.

I had been to this Marina many times and knew my way around. The boat master gave me a temporary location and I started towards it. A 93’, the ‘Tom and Jerry’ was having some trouble being turned around, so I waited. (They later moved it to St. Thomas, B.V.I.; too many ‘Pirates and Coastal inspections). When he went by, I started in. You do not usually head in as he did; it is too hard getting out when it is busy.

Meanwhile, Amanda and Vicky.

“Why can’t I go now Vicky? You told me I could go! You know how I love the Ocean and fishing.”

“Mandy. I am sorry; Judy invited three others that I did not know about. There are 6 of us, you would be 7 and there is no room for you.”

“Yeah! Sure, you mean three guys are joining you three and having your little sister there might cramp your style, or lack of it. Right?”

“Whatever! Your just too young, these guys are 20 and 21 so yeah, your only 15.”

“You know you can be a real bitch sometimes, but I do love you like a sister. Wait, you are my sister, I guess. Thanks a bunch Sis. Have fun, and remember I’m telling Mom you ditched me to be with the boys.”

“Sweetie, if all I was going to do is kiss, I’d take you. If you do squeal to Mom, remember, I know where you live.”

“Right! Should I wait or what?”

“No, cab it back, here is $60. Err; I may not be back until Sunday, Mom’s out until Sunday afternoon anyway. Be good, don’t do what I do!”

“Whatever!”

As Amanda slowly walked to the Marina, office tears started falling. She sat down on a bench just outside and hung her head down.

Steve Simon to the rescue.

‘Odyssey’, the fishing boat, was moored now and Steve was walking to the office just opposite where Amanda sat down. It was hard to tell her age, but he could not miss the deep-sea rig and tackle she was carrying. As she rested it down and he got closer he saw she was young, 14-15 or younger maybe, and with a reflection of the sun, had signs of water from her eyes. There was always something about a ‘damsel in distress’ that brought out the ‘knight in shining armour’ in most guys, and this girl was crying. He continued past the marina office and sat down next to her.

“It’s not the place to be watering the flowers ‘Princess’. Things can’t be that bad, can they?”

“Go away! I’m not a Princess and yes, things suck!”

“Now why would a pretty girl like you waste your time crying, when it’s near a perfect day for ‘fishing’?”

She started sobbing. Not the reaction he had hoped for. “They left without me! I cannot go on the boat with them! They want to be all alone with their ‘Boys’. They said that I am too young! Do you really think I’m pretty?”

Like all girls, they would react in a predictable way whenever the ‘magic’ word, ‘pretty’ were spoken of them. “Yes, Princess I think you are very pretty. When you get a little older, you are going to break many hearts. Say, we will not have a lot of time today, got some repairs to do but I plan on going out fishing very early tomorrow. If your Mom and Dad allow, would you want to join me?”

Now unlike most girls, Amanda not only liked to fish, she was an excellent fisherman. Her Dad, when he was still around, had taken her on his boat as often as many men went to play golf, almost every weekend in Florida. “Dad and Mom divorced. Mom is doing some ‘trolling’ herself, for a new husband or a job I guess. She won’t be back till Sunday at the earliest and then I have school on Tuesday, after the Holiday (Memorial Day in the US).”

Steve took out his cell phone and handed it to her. “Here call her and ask if you can go out fishing with me. Let me talk to her too and maybe she can meet us to make certain I won’t run away or ravish you, cutie!”

Now being handed a cell, told to call her Mother and called a cutie had a very special effect on a 15 year-old girl. The idea of an ‘older guy’ (if 18 is old) wanting to take her anywhere, especially when an older sister dumps her was a combination that was hard to resist anything he asked. Trying to be ‘adult’, she placed her hand on his that held out the phone, saying, “I really don’t need to call my ‘Mother’ to go out with you... ‘fishing’.”

Steve had to suppress a small laugh. This girl was getting older by the minute. He extended his hand further, used his other hand to take her hand and placed the cell phone in it. “Yes you do, Princess. We are going way out, maybe overnight and until your 18 parents rule. Call, OK?”

She obeyed. The phone rang. Her Mom answered and like many 15-year olds, she compressed 500 words into a 20-second string. Steve asked. “May I Princess?” and took the phone.

“Hello, Mrs...”

“Sheila” said the voice.

“Sheila, I have a little Princess... ?”

“Mandy” again the voice.

“Yes. I have a little Princess Mandy here at the Bahia Mar Yacht Club who missed out on her fishing trip today. My name is Steve, Steve Simon and I just love fishing. In-fact I am going out very early tomorrow and I just hate to go alone. I was hoping your daughter would join me. You know it is safer with more than one. Now I can take her word that she is a good fisherman but I was hoping that you and your escort could meet Mandy and I either at my home or at a nice restaurant and let me know a little more about her before I take her out. Would that be OK? I am on a boat now on the IC but can go back home and get a car and meet you anywhere. Although she is so pretty, I will try not to run away with her and I can give you some people and numbers to call to check up on me. The manager here at the Marina knows me too.”

“Wow! Some speech Steve. You taking lessons from my daughter? You wouldn’t be Jim and Laura’s boy would you?”

“Unfortunately, I am, although I like to think my Grandmother raised me, not them?”

“Steve, can I speak with Mandy please?”

“Sure. Mandy, here is your Mom.”

“Hello Mom.”

“Mandy, honey. I know you are growing up and I know I have left you on your own way too much, but I love you. I know Steve’s parents; at least his Dad. I do not know what to say. You did not have to call me so I am not going to go crazy over this. Your only 15 Mandy. I do not like the idea of you going off with anybody, especially if its overnight, but since both of you are calling me, asking my permission, that means an awful lot to me. I will meet both of you there, soon. We can talk about it more then. I really want you to be happy and I know you need to make decisions like this on your own. However, I also do not want to see you be a Mother at 16, although, I do not think Steve is that kind of a person. Ask him to wait there with you and I will be there in 20 minutes or so and we will talk. OK?”

“Gee! Talk, who are you and what have you done with my Mom. OK Mom.”

She turned to Steve, handing him back his phone. “Mom said she will come here in about 20 minutes. Can you wait?”

“For you Princess I’d wait even 30 minutes for her. In the meantime, they have some parts for me inside, want to help fetch and carry, and I’ll buy you some candy?” The last with a ‘Snidely Whiplash’ laugh. (US cartoon villain you ‘Right’ pond troopers)

“What else is in it for me, Buster?”

“Mmmm, let’s see, 1st cast maybe, and you get to run the boat for a while? Deal?”

“Well. I usually get better, but OK, Deal”; and she shook hands with Steve.

Looking at her, Steve wondered if this kid was not going to be breaking many hearts much, much sooner than he earlier thought she would. They went inside and got his parts. When they handed Steve the three props and plugs, Mandy made two comments, one that they were not all for the same boat and two, that a J-3F5A quick-change sprocket adapter would allow for easier prop changes. Steve and the deskman shook their heads. Steve bought those quick-change adapters and two complete sets of props.

They waited out front of the office with the parts and Mandy’s fishing gear. That idea that Mandy would be very soon breaking hearts was now an absolute certainty when he saw Sheila walking up, they looked like twins. She was even sashaying up to where they were sitting, hips swaying side to side.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.