Darsonus and Ree'al
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2014 by novascriptus

Darsonus sat up and grabbed a piece of dried meat. Their best chance of staying alive was to reach Dunmar soon, so their camps would continue to be cold, without a fire. Ree'al needed to rest but Darsonus knew better than to try to hurry Ree'al when he practiced. Darsonus watched Ree'al while he ate.

"Ree'al," he asked. "Where are your boots?"

"I seem to have lost them."

"Did you sprain your ankles?"

"No, Dar, but as you can see my feet are a little sore. Now leave me alone"

"Let me check them," Darsonus demanded. "Gods! They're both infected. How can you walk on them?"

"By alternately placing one in front of the other."

"They need cleaning!" Darsonus said as he lifted Ree'al, throwing him over his shoulder.

"Put me down you over muscled freak!"

"Of course, as soon as we are by the stream."

At the stream Darsonus washed Ree'al's feet. "You can't walk on them anymore until they heal, if they do indeed heal."

"They're my feet. I can do what I want with them."

"Ree'al, listen to me. I know I am not as smart as you, but even I can tell that you will lose your feet if you continue to walk on them. Look at me and tell me that I'm wrong."

"No, you're not dumb, Dar."

"Ree'al!"

"Ok, ok," Ree'al admitted. "I may lose my feet, but if we don't stay ahead of the desert bastards, we'll lose our lives."

"Then the merchant's bitch, as you called her, will have to walk on her own feet. I'll carry you."

"No, you won't."

"How will you stop me," Darsonus asked. "By killing me?"

"You shame me, Dar."

"When you are better you can carry me and we'll call it even. That sword smith has fucked with your mind, Ree'al."

"No, Dar. He hasn't. He only pointed out the obvious. I am not the warrior I once was," Ree'al said in a sad voice.

"Then practice all you like," Darsonus snapped. "But not until your feet heal. I know you always let me win, Ree'al. I know that you're better than I am. I have never seen a swordsman move like you do."

"You should have watched the sword smith, Dar. I was like a child compared to him."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"So I'll practice too, but tomorrow I'll practice carrying you. Now eat then go to sleep. You need to rest."

By now Reloa was used to sleeping together to conserve warmth. Once as the exhausted Ree'al was snoring softly, Darsonus said, "Reloa, can we move Ree'al in between us? I'm afraid that if he catches a fever he'll die."

"How long have you been together?" she asked as she moved away from Darsonus and next to Ree'al.

"Only a few years, but it seems like forever. I've never known him to be this way. It worries me."

"He is a good friend," she allowed.

"He's my only friend. All others have tried to use me. Of course he does too," Darsonus gave a quiet laugh. "But he told me he would. He gave me a choice and he lets me have all the glory. People look at me with respect now, not as an oddity. He taught me how to get that respect with just a look. He taught me that I was a bully. He taught me how to be a warrior, not a thug. He is my friend. Good night, Reloa."

"Good night, Dar."


Not even Darsonus' strength was enough to carry Ree'al all day. They moved at a snail's pace, taking nearly three weeks to reach Dunmar, with Ree'al walking some the last week. They made camp on a hill where they could watch the main road. Ree'al received permission to start practicing, and Darsonus joined him in the evening. After watching two days without even a glimpse of a desert warrior, they approached the town in the middle of the afternoon.

As they neared the first buildings Reloa stopped. "Dar," she pulled on his arm. "You don't have to take me to Agravus. You can have me if you want me."

"I'm sorry," Darsonus kissed her forehead. "I do have to take you to Agravus. I gave my word when I took your father's money."

"But he was cheating you."

"Yes, and he will pay for that. My word is the only possession I have that I can keep my whole life. When I am too old to lift a sword I will still have my word, assuming I live that long. That is something else Ree'al taught me."

Reloa glared at Ree'al but walked ahead of the two warriors.

The city guard was helpful. Soon the trio found Agravus' compound. He was a handsome man, blond hair and blue eyes, nearly as tall as Darsonus. He was dressed in an elegant robe of blue on black.

"Thank Gods you made it!" Agravus took Reloa's hands. "I heard awful things but they are not true, are they? Please introduce me to your guards."

"This is Darsonus and that is Ree'al."

Agravus was nonplussed by the introduction, "What happened?"

"Reloa's father promised her to both you and another man. That other man tried to take her as we traveled here." Ree'al gave a thin smile.

"Are you hurt?" Agravus asked Reloa.

"No. These two warriors are as honorable."

"Then my thanks to you," Agravus smiled. "Varnus paid you, didn't he?"

"Yes," Ree'al smiled. "But he will be paying us more."

"I don't understand."

"Reloa can explain to you," Ree'al said. "I have a question before we leave. Have you seen men from the desert?"

"Yes, there are half-a-dozen in town."

"Then Reloa is not safe. Hire guards to protect her. Again, she will explain."

"Can I hire you?" Agravus inquired.

"No, I am sorry," Ree'al said. "We have urgent business in Aquintali. As soon as we talk to the desert warriors we will be leaving. Where did you say they were?"

"They frequent the River's End. Any of the street urchins can show you the way."

"Thank you," Ree'al said.

"I hope your days are full of happiness and children," Darsonus added, Ree'al looking at him as though he had grown horns.

It was easy enough to find where the desert warriors were staying and where they spent their evenings drinking. They were without honor, having sent twelve men to kill two. Ree'al had no qualms about ambushing them as they left the tavern. Three warriors were down before they knew they were in a fight and another down before he could clear his sword. Although they had some training, the last two men were no match for either Darsonus or Ree'al.

"Thank the Gods," Ree'al said looking at the bodies. "They can't fight as well as they can run."

In the morning Ree'al bought expensive new boots with the dead men's money. The two friends set off down the road towards Aquintali. The road followed the river, winding precariously on the steep side of the cliffs above. Small stunted junipers clung to cracks in the limestone. Here the river was swift, full of rapids.

"What's the plan, Ree'al?"

"We will encounter the other mercenaries either on the road or in Aquintali." Ree'al smiled for the first time that day. "Either way, we will kill them and be shed of them. After that ... well, there is a merchant I want to visit."

"That will make both cities name us as outlaws," Darsonus glanced at him.

"I've been an outlaw before. It's not so bad. We have maybe a week before Reloa or Agravus let slip that we were in the city asking about the mercenaries. By the time the sheriff realizes that two men could have killed six, enough time will have past. He won't bother to send guards after us."

"Lady Apala should be packed and ready to go," Ree'al continued. "We'll kill the mercenaries and Varnus, his guards too if they trouble us. We'll leave the next day. The town guards have seen us fight. They won't have the stomach for a chase."

"I don't like your plan." Darsonus shook his head.

"What would you change?"

"I have been without a woman for too long already," Darsonus showed all his teeth in a huge smile. "We need to spend the night in Aquintali. My strength begins to fade after even one day. I barely have the strength to walk now." Darsonus slowed his walk, struggling to stay upright and taking short exaggerated steps.

"Perhaps we could arrive in the early evening," Ree'al sighed.

"Great! Let's run."

"Now you have strength?" Ree'al said sarcastically.

"Sometimes just the thought of companionship gives me a second wind. It's only fair, you will have companionship for the trip too, so I have some. It will remind me why we risk our lives for such dung piles like Varnus."


They passed the camp site where they had been abandoned by Varnus' guards. Nothing of value remained. "Ree'al, what do you think happened to the handmaiden?"

"Most likely the guards took pleasure from her," Ree'al's tone showed the scorn he had for such men.

"Do you think she's still alive?" Darsonus asked hopefully.

"I doubt it, Dar, I doubt it. No matter, the Varnus's guards will pay."

"I have been thinking about what you said that night," Darsonus pointed a finger at Ree'al as he spoke.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.