Darsonus and Ree'al
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2014 by novascriptus

Swords were displayed in a large room. Ree'al released Apala's hand in surprise when he saw the collection. He wandered slowly around the room, his eyes wide open, staring and inspecting each sword hung upon a wall. "I didn't expect this," he spoke softly with respect. "Surely this is the largest private display that I have ever seen. So many different styles. What did your husband do?"

"He sold weapons," Apala laughed.

"Well he didn't sell all of them," Ree'al laughed back.

"Oh he kept the ones he liked. I even like some of them."

Lady Apala covered her mouth with her hand to keep from laughing at Ree'al. He was like a little kid in a bakery. He looked different, younger and more relaxed, as if he were at home. He stopped when he came to a display of a matching ginja and a tanja.

"Where did your husband find these two weapons?" The question sounded like an accusation.

Lady Apala, surprised by Ree'al's mercurial manner, answered. "I don't know. I hadn't really noticed them until I saw your fight the other day. They're like your swords, aren't they?"

"They're like my swords except that they still have their owner's honor marks attached to them. In my country this is disaltra, very disrespectful."

"Please forgive my ignorance," she replied. "What should we do?"

"First," Ree'al's face softened again as did his voice. "There is no need to ask for forgiveness. How could you or your husband have known? There's no disrespect when none is intended. My people's population is small, quick to anger and just as quick to fight. Without a pass for some false steps, we would quickly wipe ourselves off the face of the world."

"My Danjaris, you do sound like a courtier. But you said, 'first.' Pray tell what is second?"

"I must ask you for some oil and cloth and gently remove the personal honor marks and clean the swords. These honor marks should be returned to their clan."

"Why don't you take the swords from the display?" She asked. "I'm sure we can find what you need in my husband's workshop."

"Of course he would have a workshop. I'll follow you."

The workshop was the back room of the house and included its own entrance. There was a disarray of various items of her husband's possessions, mostly clothing, stacked for sorting on the floor. It was dusty as was to be expected, but neither Ree'al nor Lady Apala appeared to mind. Ree'al removed the honor marks, then cleaned and sharpened the blades. The blades were old, slightly pitted with age, but they were beautiful blades, with less curvature than modern blades. Ree'al estimated them to be several hundred years old.

"May I see the honor marks?" Lady Apala asked.

"Yes, of course. Here."

The honor marks were gold, stamped with a series of symbols. "They're beautiful," she said. "Is this Sulvaran writing?"

"No, it's not. The honor marks are as old as our country. They may once have been writing, but if so, the language is lost. Each clan faithfully copies the oldest mark that they have when they have to make new ones."

"This is odd," he continued as he examined one of the marks. "I don't recognize the clan and I should. I memorized them all. I memorized many things that are no longer any use to me," he finished with a laugh.

"These are very good blades," he continued thoughtfully. "A collector would pay at least 500 gold for them."

Lady Apala sneezed. "Ok, now out. I need to get out of this workshop," she said.

"The truth now," she said after they were back in the main house. "What are those two swords Ree'ally worth?"

"Over 500 gold pieces," Ree'al said.

"Oh my!"

"My Lady, I don't think you realize what you have. Your late husband's collection is worth a fortune. These two swords are only a small fraction of its total worth."

"Oh my," she said again, followed by a sneeze. "I need fresh air, take me for a walk please."

"My Lady, I don't have my swords with me. I can't protect you," Ree'al said.

"Really?" She spoke to him like he was an idiot. "What do you have in your hands?"

"I have two swords," he replied with a laugh. "But I have no scabbard."

"Oh, I think we can find a scabbard for your sword," she remarked. "But I'm sure there is a matching scabbard for those swords in the collection." Her innuendo was clear.

And so they walked through the town. All who saw bowed their head with respect, for this night there was royalty in Aquintali. The sword smith saw the couple walk by his smithy and smiled. When Lady Apala began to feel the chill, they returned to her compounds.

"Every girl dreams that a handsome young prince will come to save her," Lady Apala said. "Every woman dreams that a handsome young prince will come to save her and spend the night."

"Let me return the swords to the case and I am at your disposal." Ree'al bowed with a flourish.

"No," she said. "If you help me sell the collection for a good price, those two swords are yours."

"It's too much."

"Then lend me the use of your other sword tonight to make up the difference," she said with a sultry voice. "I'm sure I'll have the better of the bargain."

"Ree'al, are you leaving now?" Lady Apala looked up from her bed beside which Ree'al was dressing.

"Yes, Apala. I need to get to the Sword Smith's for practice."

"How long will you be in town?" She rolled out of bed with the sheet wrapped around her. He took her in his arms.

"We leave tomorrow at dawn."

"So soon? When will you be back? Will you come back?"

"I'll be back tonight if you want."

"Of course I do," she said. "You make me feel like a young girl again, but I don't mean tonight."

"Oh. You mean after."

"Yes."

"I'll be back in 4 to 8 weeks, depending on how fast our charge can travel. Then Dar and I will take you to Pottergat where you can sell your collection with a guaranteed good return. You'll easily be able to restore this house to its former glory and enough to live modestly for a hundred years. Do you have someone here to protect you?"

"Yes, three guards remain. I give them room and board and what money I can."

"You should be safe," Ree'al nodded thoughtfully.

"You are a good man, Prince Ree'al da Jarnessa."

"Not many would agree with you, Lady Apala de Marsia."

"Then they are fools. Sometime when you are comfortable, please tell me what happened to your honor marks."

Ree'al paused at the door. "Sometime," he promised.

When Ree'al was gone she fell back in bed, clutching the sheet around herself. A small satisfied smile on her lovely face as she remembered his hard body pressing against hers.


She was a pale, thin wisp of a girl, with blonde hair and skin that looked as though she'd never seen sunlight; fourteen and pretty, if you liked that kind of woman, but not beautiful. Ree'al was unreasonably annoyed that four guards were required to carry her pallet. Customs were different, Darsonus pointed out to him. Ree'al watched to see if she was unkind to those who carried her, or to her hand maiden, who rode on the pallet with her. Had she been, he would have instantly hated her, instead she was always polite and he felt petty. His pettiness annoyed him even more. Ree'al's patience was tested when he dealt with Reloa, daughter of Varnus. Even her name annoyed him.

Rather than the small party that they envisioned, Darsonus and Ree'al escorted four porters, a hand maiden, and Reloa. Guards aren't Ree'al guards if they're carrying a pallet, they're porters. Would they drop the pallet and draw they're swords? Ree'al wasn't sure even if the odds were even. Against long odds they'd remain porters, of that he was sure.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.