John and Jo - Cover

John and Jo

Copyright© 2014 by The Heartbreak Kid

Chapter 12

Shortly after they had returned from Wales, Jo's provisional driving licence arrived. John and Jo went into Cambridge on the train, as there were more car dealers. Jo knew even less about buying cars than she did about buying clothes! John said that he'd always liked Ford's and he thought the Focus would be a nice car for Jo. Jo had never really been a car person: her father drove in his job, but he'd never needed to own a car; although he had sometimes borrowed one. But Eddie and Brian had cars, and Julie of course. Jo thought John was a good driver, and while he was happy to drive her around, she had never thought about driving herself.

John had looked up local car dealers on the Internet, and he knew where he wanted to go first. When they arrived there were lots of cars on the forecourt, so they spent some time just wandering around, looking at all the different models.

"This is the Focus, but it's your choice, Jo; if you see something else you prefer, tell me!"

" ... Yeah, It looks very nice," she replied; although John detected a distinct lack of enthusiasm in her voice.

"What about colour?" he asked her.

"Well, the silver cars look nice," she said, "Or my favourite: blue."

A salesman came up to them. "Can I help you at all?"

"Yes, I'm looking for a car for my wife, but she doesn't drive at the moment. I quite like the look of the Focus."

"Yes, Sir, a good choice: they're economical and reliable. Were you interested in this particular car, or a new one?" the salesman said.

"We really wanted something we could have today, if possible, and my wife likes blue or silver," John replied.

"I don't think we have anything in silver at the moment, but I think we can do blue. It's a darker shade: Ink Blue, I believe. Would you follow me, please." They walked to a different part of the car compound.

"This is the 5-door Zetec model, 1.6 litres; this particular one is only a year old. Why don't you get in!" the salesman said. Jo got into the front behind the wheel. She found all the switches and dials quite confusing, and a little intimidating.

" ... I don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking at," she admitted, " ... but it seems very comfortable!"

"Would you like a test drive, Sir?" said the salesman.

"Yes, please!" John replied. The salesman went to fetch the keys while John and Jo waited by the car. Jo got into the back, and they took the car out on the road. When they came back, John asked her what she thought: she smiled and nodded.

"We'll take it," John said, "Is it all legal at the moment?"

"Yes, it's taxed for six months, and it doesn't have to be MoT tested for another two years*. How would you like to pay, Sir?"

"I have a debit or a credit card."

'As a precaution, we usually ask for some form of identification: a driving licence photo card with your current address will do!"

"Yes, that's fine!" John said.

"Okay then!" the salesman said, "Let's go and do the legal stuff!"

"If you can give me the details, I'll ring my insurance broker," said John.

When everything had been sorted, John drove them out of the dealer's, towards home. He stopped to put some fuel in.

"Everything all right, Love?" he asked Jo.

"Yes ... it's all just a bit overwhelming!"

"Look, give it a go, and if you don't get on with driving, you've lost nothing by trying!"


*Note for non-UK readers: UK cars over three years old, and used on public roads, are currently required to pay a tax to the Government; they are also required to undertake a yearly roadworthy test.


The next day John took Jo out for her first lesson. Although she was a bit apprehensive, Jo could be very determined: and once she'd made her mind up about something, she didn't like to quit! John was very patient with her, and after they'd been out a few more times, she had mastered the fundamentals, and she was even starting to enjoy it! John never pressured Jo, and she decided that she was in no hurry and she was happy for her husband to teach her until she got a lot more confident, then she would sign up with a school.

Jo had been driving for a few weeks when she went back to college: her second year A-level English classes were still on Monday and Thursday evening, but History was now Tuesday and Friday morning, which meant that this year Wednesday was her completely free day. It was just over twenty miles to the college, so Jo, with John accompanying her, drove there and back; except on Thursday evenings when she still went to the pub with her friends; then John would collect her and drive home.

Jo applied for her driving theory test and while she was waiting for it to come through, she bought a copy of the Highway Code to study. She also bought instructional CD's about the multiple choice test, and one which showed road hazards, so she could practice that part, too. John also found these interesting, as he had taken his test several years before the examining format changed. They would sit together, as they had done with her A-level practise papers, analysing everything in fine detail and with the same outcome: she took and passed the theory tests easily.

Jo now felt confident enough to take some formal driving lessons, to supplement her private ones. John offered to pay for these, but Jo declined his offer and paid herself. The driving instructor said that he didn't think that she would need many lessons, and advised her to put in for her practical test as soon as possible, which she did. John said that she should still drive as much as possible, and that they should go up to Salford to give her more practice. There was a Friday in October when the college was closed for a training day, so they could leave in the morning and return the following Sunday evening.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.