John and Jo
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2014 by The Heartbreak Kid

By the time that they got back from Wales, Jo had read all the books on her reading list at least once. John told her that the higher you get on the academic ladder, the more your own opinions matter; as long as you can back them up by reference to the texts. Teachers know this, and they can help you to understand and stop you going way off course; but they will expect you not to just repeat their opinions. A lot of students who move from GCSE to A-level have trouble with this, as they don't want to get things wrong; but teachers really appreciate original thought, rather than a student just saying the same things everyone else does ... that approach will probably get you a pass, but insight and originality will get the better grades.

Jo had the same fears as many adults who go back to learning after years away:

"Won't the younger ones doing re-sits know all the answers, John?"

"No, from my experiences, they will probably be thinking the same thing about you! But remember, if they had known how to do it, they probably would have passed the first time around! And what you, and the other older students, have is experience and maturity ... I guarantee you that no one else in your classes will have seen and done the things that you have!"

Jo got her replacement certificates in plenty of time, and John drove her to the college on the day that she had to enrol. Despite his calming influence and reassurances, she was still nervous. There were several teachers from the English Department there, and John was recognised by several who took the opportunity to talk to him.

"My partner is signing up for A-level English and History," he said, "I've come along to give her moral support!"

"I'm one of the two teachers on the course," a Mrs Hedley, said to him, "Most of them are nervous to start with, but they soon settle down."

"Yes, that's what I told her! She's very bright, just lacking in confidence!"

John went on to say how he'd be willing to come and talk to her class, if she thought that it would be useful. Mrs Hedley thought that it was a great idea, and she would let him know when she'd spoken to some of her colleagues.

"So are you feeling better now that you've met some of the people who teach here?" John asked Jo afterwards.

"Yes, a bit, they seem very nice!"

"And have you got a timetable?"

"Yes, there's two English evening classes: Monday and Thursday; History is on Wednesday morning and Thursday afternoon."

"That's not too bad," John said, "But you'll be pretty tired by the time you get home Thursday!"

"I know, but I'm sure I'll soon get used to it."

"I'll give you a lift, of course, but the social side of learning is important, too. So if any of your classmates ask you to go to the pub afterwards, please feel free to go along!"

"Would you come, too?" Jo asked.

"If you wanted me to!"

"John, do you think I ought to get a part-time job?"

"Personally, no: I think you are going to need all of your spare time to study. But if you want some spending money, we'll get you a bank account set up, and I'll either put a lump sum in, or something every month, if you prefer!"

Jo kissed him.

"You've been so good to me, John; I can never repay you!"

"You've already started ... oh yes, and before I forget ... would you like to go to Scotland for Christmas, to meet my mum and dad?"

"I'd love to!" said Jo, excitedly, " ... And maybe sometime we can go to Salford!"

"Yes, I was thinking that, too."

"And I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to let them know that I was all right!"

When they got home, John gave her stationery and she sat down to write:

Dear Mam, I hope everyone is all right. I'm sorry that I haven't been in touch for a long time, but I've been living rough and couldn't write before.

Well, I've finally fallen on my feet ... I've met this lovely man and we are living together. I will also be going to college, soon, Mam, to do A-levels like I always wanted, then I hope to be a teacher.

My fella's name is John. We are going to see his mum and dad in Scotland at Christmas, but he said that he will bring me to see you some time next year. I still think about you often, Mam, and I hope that everyone is keeping well. Give my love to all. I hope to see you soon.

Jo X X X

She showed the letter to John, who gave it his approval. Jo was actually feeling quite emotional, so she sat on his lap, put her arms around his neck, and held him tightly. Later on, they took Sam to the park and on the way she posted the letter. As he had promised, the next day John took her into town, where she opened a bank account: the very first one that she'd ever had! As it was also John's bank, he transferred several thousand pounds into her account. When they got home, he made a phone call to his publisher and arranged for the royalties from the sale of some of his books to be paid into her account, instead of his. Since John was a well-known author, and the novels that he had chosen were on several academic reading lists and otherwise still sold moderately well, it should be a steady income for Jo.

"I don't know exactly how much you will earn, but we'll keep a careful record, and at some point you may have to pay tax on it."

Jo spent most of the next week or so getting ready for her courses. She was very mindful that John had to work, but whenever he took a break, she took the opportunity to ask him something about the English coursework books that she had been reading: all of which he'd had some acquaintance with in the past.

At last the day of her first class came around: it was a bit like her first day at school when she was five! John kissed her as he dropped her off on the Monday evening and promised to pick her up from the same place later. Sam had stayed at home in the warm.

When Jo came out again, several hours later, she was still bubbling with nervous energy. She got in the car and kissed John, then waved to some of her classmates as they made their way back to their cars.

" ... It was brilliant! The teacher spent most of the first hour just going over the course content, then we had a short break in the canteen, then we spent the rest of the time talking about literature! And it was just like you said: some of the younger one's were very quiet, and the older ones did most of the talking; but even if people didn't speak, they listened and took notes."

"I'm glad that you enjoyed it ... that's the main thing! What's your next class?"

"History, on Wednesday ... the rise of fascism in Nazi Germany!"

"Well, you've got all of tomorrow to get ready for it."

When they got back, Sam met her at the door with a wagging tail. Jo made a big fuss of him and he lay at her feet when she sat on the sofa with John.

The rest of her week was equally as enjoyable. By the time that they got in on Thursday evening, she could barely keep her eyes open long enough to drink the tea that John made her.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.