Shapeshifter - Cover

Shapeshifter

Copyright© 2014 by aubie56

Chapter 12

Billy had been quiet for several hours, and the rest of the family was wondering what he could possibly be so interested in. Actually, Billy had been thinking very hard on a simple subject. The subject was simple, but the implementation was not! Finally, he thought he had most of the problem worked out, so Billy contacted Genie.

Genie, I know that you cannot give powers to Ann directly, but can you do it by working through me. In other words, can you change me so that I can impart the powers of a Shape Shifter to Ann. As nearly as I can work it out, by doing it that way, you would not be violating your programming, yet I could get the partner that I really want.

That is an interesting idea, Master, and I don't know if I can work out how to do it. Please give me time to work on it, and I will see what I can come up with. I agree that, at first glance, it looks like your idea would keep me from violating what my maker limited me to doing, yet it would also allow me to meet one of your more demanding requests. I may have the answer quickly, or it may take me some time to work it out, but rest assured that I will work diligently on the problem and inform you when I have an answer.

OK, that sounds reasonable. If it makes any difference to you, I don't need all of the powers for Ann all at once. I could give them to her one at a time as you worked out the details. Just remember, I want to solve a problem, not create another one.

I appreciate your patience with me, Master. I will do my very best to comply with your wish.

I know that you will, Genie, and I appreciate the way you try to help me whenever I need you. I will certainly thank you for whatever you can do.


It was two weeks later when Genie made his revelation. Master! I have made a great discovery! You won't believe it, I know, but I have discovered that there is another one of those charms like you are wearing! If you can find it, your sister can become just like you!

That's wonderful, Genie! Where should I look for this charm?

It is at the bottom of the Red Sea. It has been lying there for centuries, ever since it was lost overboard from my maker's ship. I know almost exactly where it lies on the bottom of the Sea. If you go looking for it in the guise of Aquaman, I can show you exactly where it is.

That is wonderful. I'll have to tell Mom and Dad right away!

"Mom, Dad, Genie just gave me some wonderful news! There is another charm just like mine that Ann can use. All we have to do is go get it!"

Ann said, "OMG! Where is it, Billy? I can hardly wait!"

Jim said, "Yes, Billy, where is the charm? We can take you to out of school for the time required to fetch the charm. Depending on where it is, we might even be able to leave tomorrow."

"Genie said that the charm was at the bottom of the Red Sea. If I remember right, that's between Saudi Arabia and Egypt. Are our passports good for that, and do we need visas?"

"Our passports are fine but I don't know about visas. Those I'll have to check up on. Meanwhile, it will take a couple of days for us to be ready to go that far.

"There is a separate problem, though. If the charm is at the bottom of the Red Sea, how on Earth are we going to get it?"

"That's no problem. I'll just change into Aquaman, and I can spend as much time as I need to underwater ... Oh, wait, Genie just suggested that we fly into Jerusalem and drive down to Aqaba as if we are on vacation and are sightseeing. Aqaba is on the Red Sea, a popular vacation spot, and not unreasonably far from where the charm is lying."

Jim said, "Okay, if we fly into Israel, we won't need a visa. I'll call the Israeli airline, El Al, and get us tickets to Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. That might take a week or so, but I hope that will give you girls enough time to get ready." Jim ducked a couple of thrown pillows, but the women jumped up anyway and rushed to start packing.

It turned out that they had six days before they had to be in New York City to pick up the flight to Israel. There was the usual aggravation with Homeland Security, but they finally got on the plane. God, what a long flight! There were some intermediate stops, but the Wilder's were not foolish enough to get off the plane and then go through the security checks to get back on.

At last, they landed in Tel Aviv and their rental car was waiting for them. They drove to their hotel and slept for 20 hours while their body clock got more or less in tune with the local time. They got maps and explicit directions on how to drive to Aqaba. The trip took most of the day because they just had to stop at several important archaeological sites. They got to Aqaba in time for supper and checked into their hotel.

Of course, Billy did not need to sleep, so he told the family what he had in mind and slipped out of the hotel to head for the Red Sea. He waded into the water and had Genie change him into Aquaman. Billy swam for nearly four hours until he came to the place that Genie said the charm should be lying.

Billy had been swimming near the surface for no particular reason other than habit, but he dove for the bottom and followed Genie's instructions as closely as he could. Genie was able to sense exactly where the charm was lying, so it only took Billy about 15 minutes to find it. Billy used a piece of seaweed to tie the charm around his neck where he could keep an eye on it, but it would be out of his way.

This time, because Billy knew exactly where he was headed, he poured on the speed and made it back to the hotel in just a little more than two hours. Billy thought he'd play little joke on Ann and slipped the bracelet under her pillow. He took a quick shower and asked Genie to wake him when Ann woke up.

Genie woke Billy up as his sister began to stir in the bed. He gently shook her shoulder until she woke up. "Look under your pillow, the tooth fairy has left you a present."

Ann slid her hand under the pillow and pulled out the bracelet. She looked at it for a moment and then squealed in delight. Her squeal was so loud that Billy wondered if they were going to attract the attention of hotel security. Nothing happened, so apparently not.

Ann ran to her parents bedroom and woke them up with more squeals of joy. "Mom, Dad, look what I have! Billy found the charm, and I wanted you to see it before I put it on. The two parents dutifully looked at the bracelet and complimented their daughter on how nice it was. However, to them, it just looked like a plain bracelet made of yellow gold.

Ann slipped the bracelet on her right wrist and watched with wonder and joy as it sank through her skin. This bracelet acted just like the one Billy had found, except that she did not hear a genie speaking in her head! This was enough to make her cry in disappointment, but then she heard Billy's Genie talking to her.

Mistress, I do not completely understand what is going on, but I believe that you should be able to hear and understand me. If so, please respond by answering me, but don't speak out loud.

Oh, Genie, I was so scared that I would not have my own Genie that I never thought that I would have access to you. From the way Billy has talked about you, I know that I am much better off having you to help me then have to contend with a new Genie. I am so glad to hear you in my head, that you cannot imagine how I feel! Can I talk to Billy through you?

That's a wonderful idea, and I have no inkling of the answer. Give it a try and see what happens.

Okay, Billy, can you hear me? I am talking to you through Genie. He is now the Genie to both of us.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.