Another Chance
Chapter 49

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

The interview wasn't going all that well. I'll bet the asshole we were speaking to, or being spoken to, has one job and one job only. Get money information and reject us.

"Do you children have independent funds?"

That's it! Grace set the giant sack she jokingly refers to as her purse on the desk, pulled out the purse recorder and turned it.

"Grace Adele Austin accompanied by her brother David is recording an interview with Anthony Giacomo, purported U of M Graduate school interviewer. I am taking this time to advise Mr. Giacomo that he is being recorded," she pulled out a camera and snapped a flash, "And photographed. The time is 1:23, Wednesday, May, 1955. Mr. Giacomo is in possession of certified copies of our acceptance to the College of Engineering Mathematics. Mr. Giacomo, would you repeat your question?"

"What the fuck is this ... turn that damn thing off, girly." He immediately shredded our acceptance letters.

"Mr. Giacomo is tearing up the copies of our acceptance letters. Since they are only copies and printed on fingerprint paper, David is retrieving the shreds. Mr. Giacomo is furious, exhibiting extreme anger and assuming a threatening posture. David has taken him down. We will get to the bottom of this. Mr. Giacomo is cuffed and we are exiting the building. Mr. Giacomo is armed and on university property."

Not going well at all.

This morning Grace and I, possessing brand new Michigan Drivers Licenses, flipped a coin to see who drove which car. She won the driver I won the car. Since I seem to be inordinately polite, I asked.

"The Studebaker," she said. "I'm going to trade it in on a new '57 Bel Air two door hardtop. Three months! I'm so excited!"

"I really like the way the Speedster looks."

"So buy it from me."

"Grace, I bought it in the first place."

"This is true, but it was a gift. I'll take a grand for it."

A thousand for the most expensive car in the Studebaker line ... in 1955 ... sounded pretty good to me.

I have to quit buying the cars I would have loved to have in my first life.

I mused a bit. Knowing what's coming is great.

I had a 1951 Mercury two door deluxe. It was being turned into the cruiser rod of cruiser rods. Chopped and channeled, the Merc was going to get a '57 Hemi engine first and a 426 with the A833 4 speed as soon as it came out.

There was a 1955 chebby just waiting for the coming 302 ... the Z28 302. Grace is not the only one to want a '57 two door, but mine has already been ordered. 283 with buckets, a four speed and fuel injection.

The Stude is the perfect receptacle for a small block.

I have had my eye on a Volvo 444 sitting in a neighbors garage and a 1928 Buick two door right next to it. The Buick has been on blocks since 1929 and I know it runs because I helped start it in my first life.

The flat noses were coming, the Dodge was the best looking and the little 273 was a great motor.

"David!"

"What!?!"

"Where have you been?"

"Huh?"

"Where have you been?" Grace was mad. "I've talking to you for at least five minutes."

"Huh?" I said, "Where?" God, Grace ... that's a hell of a question ... where have I been?

"David. Get in the car!"

"Oh."

We were half way to Lansing when I said, "I don't know where I've been, but I'm back."

"Huh?"

"This morning," I tried to explain.

"What?"

"When I was looking straight at you? I wasn't here."

"Were too," she said.

"Nope, I was somewhere else."

"You were not!"

"Well, I must have been somewhere else, because we're not there yet."

"Ok, smartypants, If you were somewhere else ... where were you?"

"At the University."

"What?"

"Where I was when I wasn't here," I said.

"Oohkaaay," she said hesitantly

"We were in a conference room with an Italian mobster," I said, "Great big guy ... Giacomo..."

"Who?"

"The Italian Mobster. Giacomo," I said.

"We need gas, do you see a Shell?" Grace asked.

"No Shell, but there's the Lucky Seven on the left ... they have Shell gas."

"Oh ... love their sign Three Sevens. Ok."

She pulled up to the pump and I got out.

"What? Don't they do it?"

"Nope, you pump it yourself."

"You wash your own windows? Check your own air, the oil and all that?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.