Another Chance - Cover

Another Chance

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 39

So, if it's the Department of Natural Resources, what about us? thought Isabella. She was looking at the 36 lifeboat and it looked pretty full.

"You had a collar," Grace asked, "Where did that come from?"

My former owners. She thought. I like you people. You don't think you OWN me.

I said, "It's probably the other way around."

How does that work?

Grace said, "We'll probably end up being your pets."

A bobcat laugh is a lot different than a bobcat purr ... Cats don't bark ... but bobcats do.

They're getting close ... do you have the collar?

Grace fumbled around in her "Purse," and found it. "Yup. I saved it."

Show that to the warden, it'll explain a lot.

"Ahoy, the boat," I hollered.

"Coast Guard," said Mr. Olsen.

"Aye, then."

"Permission to come aboard?"

There are protocols to be rendered before a boat is boarded. While they're in progress, nobody is friends.

"Granted, Hi, Pete, hi Carole Ann," I said. We shook hands and Carole Ann rushed over to Grace. "Who is with you?"

The man is the green pants and shirt said, "Michigan Department of Natural Resources." and extended his hand.

I ignored it, instead I looked at the Ensign.

"Captain Austin, this is District Warden Max Baucus, Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Warden Baucus. This is Captain David Austin of the RC K5."

"Warden Baucus," acknowledging his position and presence.

"David," he said.

"For now, that's Captain Austin. I hold commercial licenses, and I am as jealous of my prerogatives as you are of yours."

"I see."

But he didn't ... not yet. He would.

"I guess I'd better get right down to it," Warden Baucus said.

"Excellent," I agreed.

"You have been reported as holding a wild bobcat in defiance of Michigan regulations."

"Holding? As in against the animal's will? Or holding because I have a pet taken from the wild?"

"Taken from the wild."

"Grace? Do you have the collar?"

"Yes ... hold on for a second."

"The cat had a collar?" Baucus was directing that more at Grace than me.

"Yes ... very old and very tight." She started looking through her purse and dithering.

Isabelle yowled and brought the collar over and dropped it at the Wardens feet.

"That's the first test," he said. "Not wild ... used to humans and likes them."

He picked up the collar, pausing to give Isabelle a scruff rub ... she purred.

"You cut this off?" he asked Grace.

"She was having a time swallowing and I couldn't unfasten the buckle."

"She held still for it?"

"She hasn't scratched or bit me," Grace said.

Isabelle rolled over on her back. Milk boobies.

"She has kits?"

"Five ... four now, David rescued one from drowning. Isabelle says the kit is David's."

"Isabelle says? Who is Isabelle?"

Isabelle stood on her hind legs and put her paws on his chest. Grace and I hadn't really realized just how BIG Isabelle is ... she's three times the size of a housecat ... not much smaller than a black panther. The stub tail makes her look little ... er ... but standing and stretching ... whoa Nellie. Big cat. Really BIG cat.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.