Another Chance
Chapter 37

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Ensign Olsen. Sleeping in the lounge.

That damn city phone, "Coast Guard. Yeoman Chartres."

"One moment, sir. I'll see if he's awake."

"He's been on duty all night."

"Sir?" Chartres whispered.

"Yes?"

"It's the District Game Warden, sir," the yeoman said.

"I'll take it in here, Yeoman," I said.

The switch in connections took place, I picked up the phone.

"Ensign Olsen. This had better be important."

"Don't you people have boats of your own," I was reasonably pissed. This was uncalled for.

"I'll put it to you straight, Warden. Those kids are responsible for me making Ensign and I will NOT harass them. I wouldn't care if they had an African elephant in their care."

"I'll give you a ride, it's only about a block from the Station. You could drive."

"Completely full of reporters and Girl Scouts?" I asked.

"Alright, do you need a crew or just me?"

"Just me?"

"Ten minutes."

The yeoman stuck his head in the lounge, "The boat is already in the water, sir."

"Is anyone else awake?" I asked.

"No, sir. It's been a long night," Chartres explained. "I have three more incident reports to type before I can go to bed, sir."

"Thank you, Yeoman Chartres," I said, "You are my refuge from ring knocker Lieutenants."

We both laughed.

"Ok, Chartres, fill me in."

So, I got to hear the thrilling story of a panic stricken Girl Scout; Jeannie Stout.

"Ah yes, her," I grimaced, "Incident number two, I believe."

"Yes, sir, trying to swim the channel."

"Don't kids know how to read?"

"She's going to be running the country someday, sir," he said. "Just ask her."

"What was it this time?"

"The Austin's have a bobcat; with kit. A very BIG bobcat. Or so she said."

"Great, we have a full bore panic on the word of a fourteen year old schoolgirl."

"Yes, sir."

The Warden showed up and directed me. The K5 was gone, but the Austin yard was full up with TV cameramen and reporters. The Warden had a look-see and spotted the K5 just slipping out of sight; mostly out of sight; three quarters out of sight. Alright, Alright, fifteen feet was still showing.

The Warden pointed and told me to check it out: Just then, Carole Ann screamed and I turned to look.

Camera folks were up the stairs and flashbulbs were popping. For a mini-second, I thought, Do I care? The pause was infintesimal. Fuckin A straight I do, and I turned the boat around, mostly shattered the dock and abandoned the 36 to the gods of the sea.

Carole Ann Fromm. Tanning on the roof.

I heard that idiot from the beach-party last night questioning David, and thought she'd do better if she gave him time to answer her questions. But No! The juvenile redhead had decided she was the object the earth revolved around and she just needed to pile it higher and deeper until 'ol Whitey succumbed. The screech when she saw the bobcat ... bobcat?

I peeked over the edge and saw an odd kitten jump on the boat ... not a lot of tail and huge ears.

Grace has a huge cat; Maine Coon? Next to nothing tail ... right shape, right color ... bobcat. Wonder where THAT came from? It's Grace ... Grace does weird things.

Grace and David did a bunch of door slamming and dock thumping. The K5 fired up and motored away from their private pier. It's quiet, and last night was late, and I think I'll ... sleep.

Umh. Steps on the stairs. Lightning? No thunder, no wind. More lightning. What the fuck!

SCREECH!!! GO AWAY!

Ensign Olsen ... Big sigh!

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.