Lady in Red: Book 2 (The Rise of the Warrior)
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2014 by Harddaysknight

Steve stepped back and watched as the second assailant slowly dropped to the sidewalk. He landed not far from the man Steve had previously dispatched. As he wiped away drops of blood that had seeped into his eyes, Steve detected movement to his right. He turned to see a man emerge from in front of the SUV and point a hand gun at Ashley. Becky attempted to shield Ashley's body with her own!

It felt to Steve as if his heart had suddenly turned to ice. He was too far from the man to prevent him from shooting the two beautiful women. In a flash, the fear he felt for his two friends was replaced by a white hot anger. Even if he wasn't able to reach the man in time to prevent him from shooting Becky and Ashley, he was determined to extract the ultimate price from the cowardly bastard!

Just as the gunman squeezed the trigger, Steve saw someone crash into the would-be killer. It was instantly apparent that the shot had failed to find the intended target. The two girls were unharmed! Even as he hurried to help subdue the armed man, another shot rang out. The two men stopped struggling. Slowly, the gunman slid to the pavement while the second man leaned against the front of the SUV, trying to catch his breath as he tucked the gun into his waistband.

Becky heard the first shot, and even felt the concussion from the blast. Then she heard a struggle almost directly above her. Looking up, she actually saw the second shot fired, but it was directed toward the chest of her attacker. The man collapsed almost peacefully to the sidewalk to lie a few feet from her. Becky looked up again to the see the second man leaning against the SUV. He was breathing hard and shaking slightly.

"Pete! You saved our lives!" sobbed Becky as she pulled Ashley around so her head was in Becky's lap. Then she began to cry in earnest.

Steve quickly regained control of his emotions once he realized Ashley and Becky were not harmed. He wiped the blood from his eye again and then knelt down by the sisters. He felt Ashley's carotid and determined her pulse was strong. He gently slid his arms under her and stood with the woman cradled against his chest.

Several sirens wailed as police cars began screeching to a stop near the SUV. Officers approached with guns drawn. Pete quickly raised his hands in the air while Steve spoke to the police when they drew close.

"I'm taking this woman inside this shop. I fear for her safety here in the street. These three men just drugged her, attempted to abduct her, and when that failed, tried to kill her. I'd suggest you cuff the guy near the meter, since he's unconscious, but alive. The other two are dead."

With that, Steve turned and carried Ashley into an upscale dress shop while several cops followed with drawn guns. He found a chair and sat in it, still holding the unconscious Ashley gently in his arms.

"When the ambulances get here, you need to have some men ride with that guy, and have a few cars follow it. They'll try to either remove him from custody, or if that fails, kill him. They'll try the same with the woman in my arms."

"Who are 'they '? Why would they want to kill this woman?" demanded a smartly dressed lady as she strode purposefully through the door, holding her badge up for Steve to read. "I need to know what's going on here, and I need to know right now!"

By this time, more policemen were guiding a much shaken Becky and a wan looking Pete into the shop. Becky moved close to Steve and brushed some hair from Ashley's face.

"Look at that SUV. It's got 'Agency' written all over it. Those guys were skilled in hand to hand combat, and they were armed. You're dealing with the CIA here," responded Steve calmly. "For some reason, they decided Ashley had to be silenced. When you run a check on those dead guys, as well as the one still alive, you'll find they're accountants, teachers, software developers, or have some other innocuous occupation. That is if the bodies aren't stolen, or removed from your possession before they can be identified."

"The CIA? They have no jurisdiction here and they certainly don't attack U.S. citizens," replied the lady detective. "Who the hell are you? Who's this woman they're supposedly trying to kill?"

"He's Steve Hammer," responded a patrolman. "He was turned over to a terrorist group in Iraq and abandoned by the CIA. He had to..."

"Okay! I know who the hell Steve Hammer is, and what he's done. I just didn't recognize him. I wouldn't expect a famous, wealthy man like him to be involved in a street battle like this."

The lady detective stopped to consider the situation for a few seconds. Then she began issuing orders. "Sergeant, when that injured man is taken to the hospital, I want two squad cars to follow, and then have a two man guard unit placed in his room. No visitors until further notice. They're loading him now, so get moving!"

The sergeant quickly left the shop and spoke to other policemen standing outside. Soon they climbed into two squad cars and followed the ambulance down the street. Almost immediately, another ambulance pulled up to the curb and the crew hurried into the shop with a gurney.

Steve had been considering the situation as he held the unconscious Ashley. "I'd like to make another suggestion, if I could. The lady officer over there is blonde and about Ashley's height. Load her on the gurney and have her ride to the hospital in the ambulance. She already has a vest on. Place a shotgun under the sheet with her. Have another officer switch uniforms with the male attendant. Then send them on their way, but have them ready for fireworks. I'd suggest you bring in some unmarked cars and maybe a chopper to follow at a distance."

"You're really into this conspiracy theory, aren't you? You're suggesting that the CIA will make another attempt to kill this woman? That they'd attack an ambulance on the streets of the nation's capital? Are you nuts?" demanded the skeptical detective.

"Possibly," responded Steve calmly. "But I won't allow Ashley to be transported to the hospital by ambulance. Just as the police began to arrive on scene, I saw two black SUV's drive slowly past. They're in damage control now. It's possible that you'll catch them by surprise if they do stop the ambulance and your officers are ready for them. If I'm wrong, you can pick your people up at the hospital. If I'm right, you'll get a promotion and be interviewed on every news organization in the world."

"Okay, let's do it! Brooke, take Fred's shotgun and get on that gurney," ordered the female detective. "Fred, you switch jackets with this paramedic. It's long enough to cover your handgun. Ambushing unconscious women in ambulances won't be tolerated in this city! I'll replace this attendant. Don't be afraid to use your weapons if we're stopped!"

The detective quickly switched jackets with the female member of the crew and issued last minute instructions to Steve. "Here are the keys to my personal car. It's the red Ford Explorer parked down the street. Use it to get your friend to a hospital. These two paramedics will go with you. It looks like you could use a few stitches. I've got your phone number and I'll arrange to get my car from you later. I'll also be interviewing all of you as soon as possible. Here's my card. Let me know when you're out of the hospital. Good Luck."

With those words, the detective and her officers rolled the gurney out the door and quickly loaded it into the ambulance. It left the scene less than a minute later. Steve noticed that Ashley was beginning to groan and move around in his arms.

"Okay, let's get Ashley to a hospital. I think she's starting to come out of it. I want her blood tested before the drugs leave her system. Pete, would you pull the car around to this side door. We'll go to a different hospital a little farther away and try to carry her in unnoticed.

Twenty minutes later, a paramedic had one of Ashley's arms over his shoulder while Steve held the other. Ashley was moaning more frequently and moving her head slightly. Any casual observer would think that she was intoxicated. Steve was obviously injured since he had blood streaks trailing down his face, along with numerous lumps and contusions. Steve had insisted that Pete remain close to Becky and be prepared for any eventuality.

Once inside the hospital, Steve demanded that he and Becky be present while Ashley was examined. Being famous had its advantages, as the doctor reluctantly agreed. It helped when Becky insisted that her sister would be more then fine with it, and that an attempt had been made on her life. She briefly explained that Steve had suffered his injuries while protecting Ashley, and he would continue to do so with extreme prejudice.

Blood was drawn from Ashley's arm. Then she was examined for any other potential injury, but none was found. While they waited for lab results, the doctor was able to examine Steve. By the time the lab results came back, Steve had four stitches and a bandage over his right eye.

While Steve was being stitched, Ashley had begun to look around with a dazed expression. She was beginning to move her hands to her head, but was unable to make any sense when she tried to speak.

"Now that we know what she was given, I'm confident that she'll be fine," predicted the doctor as he read the lab report. "The drug should have no lingering effects and recovery is surprisingly quick once it begins. She should be speaking coherently in fifteen minutes or less. I'll see that the D.C. police receive a copy of the lab results, as per your request, Mr. Hammer."

Ashley was able to talk coherently a short time later. She insisted that Steve and Becky go into the small bathroom with her so she could tell them what happened in private.

"I went to get some contact information and some forms from Senator Bryce's office. I had to walk past Senator Kane's office to get there. I glanced in as I went by the door. I saw Mark Neary talking to a female aide of the Senator Kane's! He had longer, reddish hair and a mustache, but I know it was him! He looked up and our eyes met. I knew immediately that he realized that I had recognized him. I turned and hurried out of the building. I practically ran down the sidewalk trying to find you, Steve. Then those men jumped out of the black car and grabbed me. I tried to get away and that's all I remember.

"I see your face is bloody and banged up. You fought those men! You saved me from being killed or abducted, didn't you?" gasped Ashley as she wrapped her arms around Steve and hugged him as she sobbed into his blood stained shirt.

"It's going to be okay," promised Steve as he rubbed Ashley's back gently. "They apparently wanted to shut you up before you could reveal Mark's location and identity, but once it gets out, they'll have no reason come after you. It won't be a secret anymore. Let's find Pete, and if the doctors agree, get out of here."

They found Pete in the waiting room. "All hell's broken loose! It's all over the news. They have the story about those guys attacking Ashley, but there's a lot more. The second ambulance was stopped two blocks from the hospital by two black SUV's. One pulled in front and stopped, while the other parked right behind it in the street. Two guys opened the back door of the ambulance with guns drawn! They were shot to death by D.C. police, who had replaced the patient and ambulance crew out of concern for another attack on the woman's life.

"Then a police car rammed the SUV that stopped in front of the ambulance. The two men in it were slightly injured and were apprehended by the cops before they could escape. They reported that no one knows where Steve Hammer or his friends are at this time."

"We'll remedy that right away," predicted Steve as he pulled his phone and hit a programmed number. "Amber? Are you available? Ashley and I'd like to meet with you and do a quick interview. I thought that would get your attention. We can be there in less than ten minutes."

Fifteen minutes later, Steve and his three friends were being interviewed by Amber Stahl. Ashley explained in detail exactly what she had seen and how she had been accosted a short time later. Then Steve and Becky explained their role in the scuffle. Finally Pete was brought in to describe his part in the fray.

"It should be noted that Pete has recently been hired by our company as security for Ashley and Becky," added Steve. "I can't express how much I appreciate his quick and decisive actions in protecting these two women. He's a wounded veteran, and a man you can trust to have your back in a tight situation. He'll be getting a raise and a bonus!"

"And a new foot," quipped Becky. "Pete lost a foot while on active duty in Iraq. He has a prosthetic foot, and it was struck by the bullet that was intended for my sister and me. He showed the foot to us on the ride to the hospital. Now I call him 'Leadfoot', and he's fine with it," joked Becky.

Soon the interview was completed and Amber promised to broadcast it as soon as possible. She thought it was important enough to break into regular evening programming, but that was a decision for the network.

It was pushing eight o'clock by the time the group returned to the hotel. Naomi and Kate were all over them as soon as they entered the building. Kate started right in. "We just saw you guys on a special news bulletin. Ashley was almost abducted and Steve and Pete saved Becky and Ashley! She saw that Mark Neary? He's hanging around an aide for Senator Kane, the chairman of the Senate Appropriations committee? There was also an attack on an ambulance that was supposed to be carrying Ashley. Two more men were killed and two captured. The rumor mill has the CIA behind all of this. Is it true?"

"Let's get everyone upstairs where it's safer and a lot more private," insisted Naomi. "We've been worried sick. Why do you all have your phones turned off?"

"We were supposed to turn them off in the hospital and we forgot to turn them back on," admitted Becky. "This has been a hell of a day. I'd better call Mom! She must be real worried!"

"Not to mention, Gwen, Mom, Lisa, Jordan, Stephanie, and others too numerous to mention," added Kate. "I promised Gwen that I'd call her as soon as I heard from you, Steve. I think you'd better call her right now. I'll show Pete his room, so don't worry about that. Just call Gwen and get cleaned up."

Steve turned his phone on and called Gwen as soon as he closed the door to his suite. She answered on the first ring. "Steve? Are you okay? How are Ashley and Becky? I want you to get out your laptop and Skype me. I want to see you when we talk. Do it right now, please!"

Steve hung up the phone and booted his laptop. Soon he had Gwen on his screen. "Look at you! That must have been some struggle. Your face is swollen and your shirt's bloody. Are there stitches under that bandage?" asked Gwen as she looked at Steve's face.

Steve began to undress as he responded to Gwen's questions. Soon he was totally naked. He carried the laptop with him as he moved into the bathroom and turned on the jets for the hot tub. He was glad that Gwen had insisted that they reserve one of the two suites that had a big hot tub. It faced a window that featured a panoramic view of Washington. He placed the device on a wide ledge by the tub and climbed in. As he did so, he heard some giggles coming from his computer.

"I'm sorry, Steve. I should have told you that Charlotte and a couple of friends are here trying to help me cope with the situation. I was very worried when I heard the first news reports that Ashley had been attacked, and that you had fought off her assailants only to hear that the ambulance she was supposed to be in was ambushed. No one knew where you and the girls were.

"It was only a few minutes ago that Amber Stahl came on TV and showed your interview. That was a great idea. With Mark's identity exposed, there's no reason for anyone to try to kill Ashley. It's too late for them to stop her from talking. I can't believe that Mark was mixed up in all of this," concluded Gwen.

"It's very upsetting for me," agreed Steve. "I even told Ashley that I thought he was a good guy. I was wrong, almost dead wrong. I feel pretty bad about that. When that guy pointed his gun at Becky and Ashley as they lay on the sidewalk, I think my heart stopped. I can't begin to express how horrible I felt. Thank God Pete was in the area. He was the difference."

Steve and Gwen discussed the day's events for another ten minutes before Kate called from the living area. "Steve! There's a Detective Hart with me. She insists that she be allowed to talk to you right now. I knocked and you didn't answer, so I let her in with me. Are you decent?"

Steve groaned as he remembered that he had promised to speak with the detective. "No, but show her in anyway. I'm in the hot tub, soaking my bruises. If that bothers her, tell her to come back tomorrow."

"Don't worry about me," grinned Detective Hart as she strode into the room with Kate following. "I grew up with three brothers and we only had one bathroom. I've seen it all. Sadly, I only have a recorder and not a camera. There won't be any video."

The detective smiled as she pulled a chair over close to the tub, sat down, and dug out a recorder and placed it on the ledge near Steve's laptop. "You probably heard that the ambulance was stopped by four gunmen a couple blocks from the hospital. Because I followed your suggestions, I came out looking pretty damn good."

"I'm not surprised," grinned Steve. "You look pretty good from here."

"I'll take that as a compliment, especially coming from Steve Hammer, and even more especially a naked Steve Hammer. Everyone knows that you're always surrounded by beautiful women. By that's not why I'm here. Let's get started."

Before the detective could ask her first question, Ashley came into the room. "I'm sorry to bother everyone, but I'm more than a little nervous. Can I stay here with you for a while, Steve? I'll be quiet."

Detective Hart wasn't surprised to see Steve nod in agreement. She was stunned, however, when Ashley dropped her robe to reveal her nude body. She quickly stepped into the tub and sat down as close to Steve as she could get. She picked his arm up, scooted under it, and then placed it over her shoulder as Kate gave a subdued chuckle. Ashley them leaned her head against Steve's chest with her breasts against his abdomen and sighed.

"Okay," began Detective Hart. "This interview is being recorded. I want each of you to tell me what happened and I'll ask questions once you've finished your narrative. I understand that Miss Summers' sister was also present. I'll have to interview her later.

"I'm right here. I'll tell my story when you need it," interjected Becky as she walked over to the tub and looked down at Steve and her sister with a smile. "I guess I might as well get comfortable."

With those words, Becky pulled her top over her head to reveal her perfectly formed breasts. Then she slid her jeans down over her tight, toned ass and stepped out of them. She stepped into the tub and took a position on the other side of Steve from Ashley. Now Steve had his arms around both sisters as they leaned into him with their breasts pressed against his stomach.

"This is getting a little strange," complained the detective. "I don't usually interview naked people. I especially don't interview people preparing to have sex. I think I'll have to ask you to get dressed. It's a very well known fact that you and Gwen Anderson are a couple. Does she know that you have sex with these ladies? In fact, her sister is in the room. Aren't you concerned that she'll tell her sister about your activities?

"You need to understand several things, Detective," responded Steve calmly. "I will not be having sex with any of these ladies. I am totally dedicated and loyal to Gwen. That does not stop me from loving other women, but it will never be a physical love. We all understand it. That's one reason these girls feel so safe for with me.

"Secondly, Gwen is listening and watching everything we do and say. She's on Skype right now. She can see Ashley and Becky and they both know it. We don't sneak around or cheat.

"Thirdly, I'm sore and tired. I'm not going anywhere and I hope Ashley and Becky aren't either. If you want to ask us questions, go right ahead. If this arrangement doesn't suit you, we'll stop in at the police station tomorrow or the next day."

"Gwen Anderson is listening and watching this? Ms. Anderson, are you able to hear me?" asked the detective as she faced the laptop.

"Yes, Detective, I can hear and see you. Steve and I were having a conversation when Kate brought you into the room. I appreciate your concern over Steve's fidelity, but Kate is my sister and Ashley and Becky are almost sisters as far as we're concerned. They will not betray me, nor will Steve. Steve is sore and bruised from fighting those men today. He needs to relax.

"Ashley and Becky have had a very traumatic experience and being with Steve helps them feel safe and loved. They deserve to feel that way. I'd suggest that you ask your questions right now because Steve's a very busy man and may not have time for you tomorrow," finished Gwen.

Detective Hart concealed any surprise she may have experienced and began to question the three as they relaxed in the tub. After a full hour of questioning, she determined that she had gotten all of the information she could and packed up her recorder.

"Thanks for being so open and honest with your responses. Your suggestion to use decoys on the ambulance paid off for the department, and for me personally. My superiors were very impressed with my quick thinking. I explained that it was your suggestion, but they gave me credit for listening to you and making the correct decision. This is the biggest case I've ever worked and your help and cooperation has really made it a lot easier. Thanks for that, Mr. Hammer, and both Ms. Summers. I'll be in touch."

As soon as the detective left, Ashley spoke to Gwen. "Would it be okay if I spent the night with Steve? I could sleep on the sofa. I'm feeling nervous and scared. Having Steve near makes me feel a lot better."

"That's understandable, but it's also pushing my tolerance a little," admitted Gwen. "How about if both you and Becky sleep with Steve, but with pajamas on? You can chaperone each other. The bed's big enough for all of you, but no funny business, okay?"

"Thanks, Gwen! I think Becky will be happy to go along with that! You're the best friend and boss a person could ever have. I promise we won't do anything we wouldn't do in front of you. We won't even tease the guy, very much. He saved me today. Mom will be thrilled when I tell her that Becky and I are spending the night with him. As far as she's concerned, he's the best thing ever. I guess Becky and I feel the same way."

Steve listened to the whole conversation before shaking his head and stepping out of the tub. He took a long hot shower and then made his way to bed, wearing a pair of boxers. He noticed the laptop was perched on a nightstand facing the bed. He sat down and gazed at the screen. Gwen was sitting on a couch with Charlotte and two other girls.

"Steve, I trust you to help Ashley through a tough time, but be careful. She loved you before this and now that you've saved her life, she'll do anything for you. I'm so glad that you were there when she needed you. Maybe this will bring the entire mess with the CIA to a head. I imagine our faux Mark Neary is being questioned pretty closely, as well as the men captured when they stopped the ambulance. Get some sleep and we'll talk tomorrow. Remember that I love you, especially when those blondes are snuggling up to you tonight."

Steve was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. Sometime later he felt the bed move, and then two arms rubbed his chest gently before he once again fell into a deep sleep.

Steve had always been an early riser, so he was surprised when he opened his eyes to see the sun beginning to make an appearance in the eastern sky. He stated to sit up when he realized he wasn't alone. Ashley was lying against his left side. She was awake and tracing the bruises on his chest and face with her fingers. She was topless and her beautiful breasts were pressed against him. She smiled when she saw him looking at her.

Steve turned his head to see Becky watching him. She was also smiling and topless. Her breasts were every bit as perfect as her sisters and she had them pushed tightly against his side.

"We promised to wear pajamas, and we are," pointed out Ashley as she showed Steve her bottoms. "You have so many bruises and welts from your fight with those two men. Becky told me how hard they hit you and how you put them both down. You're the best guy I've ever known. I appreciate all the things that you and Gwen have done for me, and for Becky. I'd never do anything to harm your relationship with Gwen, but you've got to know that I love you. Would it be better if I left and went back to teaching? I don't want to make you uncomfortable around me."

Steve looked from one girl to the other before her responded. "Do I Look uncomfortable? We need you, Ashley. Gwen and I both love and respect you. I was wrong about Mark, and I feel terrible about that, but you'll find a guy that'll make you forget me. He'll be something special. You can bet on that.

"You're two of the most beautiful women I've ever seen and I could stay here with you all day, but we all know that wouldn't be a good idea. You girls need to get back to your rooms and get ready for the day. I just hope Billy never finds out that I was in bed with you girls and that I actually asked you to leave and get dressed. My reputation will be ruined."

"Actually, you just improved it," laughed Becky. "You know we'll tell Gwen everything. She'll be very happy with your decision. I think you'll get very lucky next time you see her. Thanks for helping us feel safe last night.

"We'll be sure to have Pete stay with us today," continued Becky. "He sure came through yesterday, didn't he? He seems to be over the bitterness he was feeling when I first met him. He was very brave yesterday. You sure knew what you were doing when you hired him."

"I knew that you felt he was a good guy, so I decided to take a chance on him. He has all the credentials, and yesterday he demonstrated traits that you can't put in a résumé," conceded Steve. "Besides, he looked like he's a little sweet on you, not that anyone can blame him. If you're not interested in him, let him know before he falls head over heels, if he hasn't already."

"You think he likes me?" asked Becky. "You didn't hear about our first meeting, did you? We called each other all kinds of bad things. I'm surprised he came around looking for a job after the way I treated him. He was good to his mom, though, and that's always a good trait in a man."

"I can't believe you two are talking about a guy that likes Becky while she's lying half naked in your bed. He may not understand the dynamics in our group and if he learns you slept with Steve, your romance may be over before it starts," cautioned Ashley. "Most men feel intimidated by Steve, especially those that have suffered blows to their self esteem."

"Well you should have worried about that before you got all naked and cuddly with my future brother-in-law," observed Kate from the doorway. "Naomi and Pete are in the other room waiting for you guys. I ordered a huge breakfast for all of us and it's getting cold. You didn't eat anything last night, so you must be starved. I would have joined you girls in the tub with Steve, but I won't do anything to upset Chip. I have to be sure how he understands everything before I let him know how I feel about Steve."

"Talk about being a little late!" laughed Becky. "Chip would have to be blind and stupid to have not picked up on how you feel about Steve. We all know that he's neither. The thing about Steve and Chip is that they love each other, in a manly way, of course. I doubt they'd ever get jealous of each other. It's like Jordan and Gwen. They love and respect each other far too much to ever let envy be an issue."

Pete and Naomi were quietly chatting when Ashley and Becky emerged from Steve's bedroom. They had put their pajama tops on, but it was obvious they had spent the night with Steve.

Becky smiled at Pete, but he quickly looked away. Becky was surprised at how much Pete's reaction bothered her. Everyone visited for a few minutes more before Steve joined them. He had showered and donned a robe over his boxers. As Steve took his seat he noticed Pete's attitude was less than upbeat.

"Pete, you look like the cat shit in your oatmeal," began Steve as he looked across the table at his newest employee. "You're pissed because you saw Becky come out of my bedroom. You know she spent the night."

"What you and Ms. Summers do is none of my business," responded Pete curtly. "I'm just a hired hand. I know my place."

"You're right that it's none of your business, except that I want you to protect these women, and I worry about the job you'll do if you have a bug up your ass. I don't usually explain myself, or my friends to anyone, but I'm making an exception. You came through big time yesterday and I'm in your debt.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.