The Investigators - Cover

The Investigators

Copyright© 2014 by carniegirl

Chapter 23

Day 19

Eddie learned about the Senator from a report on the TV. The TV was in a cheap motel just off the Interstate headed into New England. It was the 8 PM news on the real Foxnews channel not the talk shows that were opinions. So he was sorta in the loop when his burner phone rang at nine.

Eddie: Hello

Lucille: Have you heard the news?

Eddie: Yeah, it was on the news. I assume it was connected to our investigation.

Lucille: Surprise of all surprises a politician did the right thing. Of course now I'm out of job.

Eddie: You won't go hungry. I trust you know where enough bodies are buried to find a soft landing.

Lucille: Yeah me and the kids could never downsize to a share croppers house.

Eddie: I know. That's why I didn't ask.

Lucille: So are you going looking for her?

Eddie: Yes

Lucille: You going to bring her back?

Eddie: Only if she wants to come. If not, I'm going to help her put it in the wind.

Lucille: Good for you. I figured we can keep the hounds at bay for a couple of more days at the very least.

Eddie: I probably won't need more than that.

Lucille: To make Rose into someone else? I'll bet she can be out of there in an hour. Anyway I can't promise you that you will receive a hero's welcome when you return.

Eddie: Damn no parade? Bummer.

Once they hung up Eddie checked his rifle case again and then returned his .38 chief's special wheel gun to the lock box before turning in.

He awoke early on the nineteenth work day of the Investigation. Since he never could sleep well in strange beds waking early was easy. He walked to the restaurant near the motel for breakfast and carry out coffee. Then he walked back for a shower. He skipped shaving as he often did since he retired.

He dressed in his new uniform of khaki work pants and a faded blue work shirt. They were both still winter weight, as the weather wouldn't be warm till after lunch. He had a four hour drive, but that should put him at the edge of the national reserve. Rose's one hundred and fifteen acres touched on Maine's share of the Appalachian Trail.


Back in DC Lucille was closing down the office. She explained to Salina that she would intercede to keep her out of jail, but her clinic days were over. However she felt sure that the catholic mission, only a few blocks from the project, could use some volunteer services. She could even direct her former clients to it. How she made a living was totally up to her. The church wouldn't be able to pay her.

Salina: I'll figure something out. Thank you.

A few minutes later Lucille spoke with Michael.

Lucille: Mike I'm sorry we are shutting down this operation. I'm sorry but I'm going to be out of work in a couple of weeks myself. If you need a reference of any kind let me know.

Mike: I'm thinking about trying my hand as a researcher. Can I count on you for a good reference?

Lucille: Absolutely.

Mike: Where is May?

Lucille: She is taking a few days off then she is going back to the DOJ. She is the only one whose life is the same today as it was a month ago.

Mike: I doubt it. I think everyone changed some.

Lucille: You know you are probably right.

Lucille wondered if she would have tried to cover up the Senator's crimes if she had not met her group of misfits. She called Wes.

Wes: So what bone do you have for me?

Lucille: You are the luckiest of us all. You got the brass ring. (Looking at Salina)

Wes: You are absolutely right.


Eddie drove until it was time for lunch. He stopped in a roadside local fast food joint. He took his burgers and went to sit in the parking lot. He checked his voice mail on his real cell phone.

There was a message from May. She was busy spending his money it seemed. He thought about her. She was young and attractive so what she wanted with him was hard to imagine. He decided to just let it play itself out.

After the burgers he sat in the Econobox while he charted his course to Rose Seabold's camp. The hike would have him either in her house, in a tent somewhere lost on her acreage, or in a hole in the ground.

Thirty minutes later he left everything of any value locked in the trunk of his little car. He walked in carrying a sleeping bag, a bag of trail provisions, his chief's special and a .30 carbine of Korean War vintage. He walked two hours until almost 5 PM.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.