The Investigators
Chapter 16

Copyright© 2014 by carniegirl

Day 13

It was 1 AM when they arrived in Mossberg Ala. Wes made the call from his burner to the one he left with Mike.

Wes: Rabbit.

Just as he had been directed, Mike hung up the phone without saying a word. The two men gave him fifteen minutes before going to the rear door. If all went well, they had forty five minutes of their hour left. While they waited for the fifteen minutes they allotted for Mike to do his work, they chatted.

Eddie: Let's do it. I'm going to pretend that I am Moshe Abraham.

Wes: Who the fuck was Moshe Abraham.

Eddie: No idea. It's a name we gave a burglar, one who we never could catch. He never left anything behind, not one single clue in his ten year career.

Wes: Then why the name?

Eddie: Why not. Actually, we figured he was a spy, and who has the best spies.

Wes: Mossad, hence Moshe?

Eddie: Exactly. (Looked at his watch) Time to go to work.

They went to the rear door, where Wes picked the pick proof lock in about a minute. Once they entered the door, they found a private staircase to the third floor. Just as the blueprint Mike had secured from the county planning board had on it. It hadn't suggested that it was narrow and steep with only one landing. It didn't appear to be an after thought. If it had been, Eddie expected that it would have been built on the outside of the building like a fire escape.

With all the security devices turned off, it was a simple matter to pick the upstairs lock, then put on the rubber gloves and begin their search. The modern search included booting her computer with a flash drive which was all a clone program. Wes booted the computer to the flash drive and it began copying the contents of Rose's computer.

Meanwhile, Eddie walked around looking at her decorations and furniture. Like Eddie, Rose was a minimalist he discovered. For a millionaire he was surprised by her spartan digs. Everything was functional, but none of the furnishing screamed money. He found absolutely nothing out of place. He did find that it all seemed to be just too clean. She wasn't planning to come back. She kept the place just in case, but she had already moved on. He had very little hope for the computer since she had done such a professional job of leaving the apartment sanitized. Rose had simply disappeared again. There was no telling when or where she would reappear. Hell, they didn't even know who she would be when she did reappear. Presumably she had cash, as well as access to accounts they knew nothing about.

Wes took another glance into the room quickly to make sure they had not left anything which might later identify them. Eddie and Wes left the apartment with ten minutes to spare. They had walked almost a quarter of a mile to her apartment, so they had to retrace their footsteps. They had not said a single word since they left their observation spot outside her small private park.

When they reached the car, they drove away very carefully. The apartment should seem as though no one had been inside it. They didn't want to get a ticket at that moment which could later come back to bite them on the ass.

Wes knew that all her friends were pro's and they might well have left their own version of the string over the door trick. If so they would know someone had been inside, but there was nothing they could do about it. He also knew that driving the speed limits was a good idea since one day they might be asked about their whereabouts on this night. When he and Eddie lied, he didn't want any evidence to prove they were lying.

At 8:45 they sat down to breakfast at a small diner in College Hill. The food was heavy on the fat and grease but it was also very good. Eddie's eyes were gritty from lack of sleep. He had slept some on the eight hour drive from Mossberg to College Hill, since Wes had insisted on driving. His reasoning was that he had slept some on the way down from DC.

Sunrise had revived them both, but it could only do so much. They had a plan and since they were a little sleep deprived and dopey, they knew it was best to stick to it exactly. Eddie downloaded an image Mike had provided for them. He glued it to the screen of his phone to use as wallpaper till they got to the camp.

After breakfast they returned to the motel to shower and dress for the day. There was no time for a run or even a walk, so they were out the door by ten and at the gate of Church Camp by 11 AM. There was a large warning sign on the gate.

STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE

SOUND YOUR HORN

SOMEONE WILL COME TO GREET YOU.

Eddie: Not very friendly are they?

Wes: I will bet you there is a siren on that gate. If we went to touch it there would be a high piercing sound. Most likely those metal strips are revolving tire spikes.

The strips ran from side to side on the dirt road. They were about ten inches wide and level with the road.

Wes: I would go with punji stakes on the sides of the road to discourage walking around the gate.

Eddie: Simple but effective. Especially since land mines are discourage these days.

Wes: Don't be surprised to find non lethal mines. Probably a little sniper harassing fire as well. Take a look at the tree over there. That's a camera with a .177 pellet barrel attached. That's only what is visible. Odds are pretty good they could get a team up here before a force could clear the area.

Eddie: I bet they have scaled back till the congressional things clear up. They are not going to want an incident now. Let's try to use that against them.

Wes: Take a look.

Wes was pointing down the road leading from the Camp to the gate. Coming up the road was a rusty pick up truck. The gate lifted and the truck pulled up to greet them. From the truck emerged a fat man of at least sixty. He walked toward their sedan.

Fat man: Howdy. What can I do for you? Camp don't open till June, water is too cold to swim till then.

Eddie: Ah so. Is the Owner or Manager here? We are looking for a place to send the kids this summer.

Fat man: You two got kids?

Wes: My wife and I have a 12 year old daughter. My brother here has ten year old twins.

Fat man: Okay but the Camp Manager isn't here. He will be coming up in May. I'm just the caretaker.

Eddie: I see well how about we come in and take a look around.

Fat man: Sorry, I got my orders, don't let nobody in. It's an insurance thing they tell me.

Eddie: Okay, whatever you say. By the way, is Andrew still the Camp Commandant?

Fat man: Don't know nobody named Andrew. The Camp Manager's is Sarah Jenkins.

Eddie: Well how about giving us her number. I'm sure if we called she would let us tour the place. We drove a long way to see it.

Fat man: Wish I could, but it's not how it works. They get their campers from church groups so wouldn't do you no good to tour it. Miss Sarah don't want to be bothered.

Wes: Take a look at this. (Showing him his phone) The image is your parking lot. It was made by a Russian Satellite this morning. You see all the cars in your parking lot. The place doesn't look deserted to me.

Fat man: I think you need to go. If you want to come in and look around get yourself a search warrant.

Eddie: (Talking into the phone) May you want to fax the local rural police a search warrant for the Camp. Yeah, we will block the entrance to the road until the police arrive. Put on the search warrant that we will be searching for weapons.

Wes: So?

Eddie: May said it would take about thirty minutes for the local cops to get here with the warrant. Meantime we need to leave, we can go back to the road and block this driveway to be sure nobody and nothing leaves.

Fat man: You guys cops.

Eddie: Senate Researchers, we are just here to count beans for the IRS Special Committee.

Fat Man: Wait here, I'll be right back. Call your friend ask her to hold off on the search warrant till I get back.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.