The Investigators
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2014 by carniegirl

Day 8

It was 00:01 AM on day eight found Eddie fast asleep all warm and toasty in his newly insulated share cropper's house. He was dreaming of the day when his house was complete, and he could sit on the deck in the back yard and watch his goats graze. Eddie hadn't been joking when he said he planned to raise goats.

First he had to finish his house then find the money for a fence over the whole property. Five acres of Chain link fence wouldn't be cheap even if he did it himself. He knew that so he was going to go with a goat pen first for their safety and heavy chain attached to junked wheels so they could graze during the days.


The same midnight found May and Mike giggling like children over the remarks in an adult chat room. The giggles lasted till 1 AM when May returned to her warm bed to sleep. She was surprised that she had found Mike good company. She was at least a third older than him. Still he was harmless and didn't really seem to be running any games on her.


It found Wes in Salina's bed making love to her. Well he thought of it as making love, but Salina thought of it as getting screwed by a man she respected, if not loved. Wes had allowed her to do her work during the evening. At that moment he was showing her what he could do with her body.

She, of course, wasn't just lying in one place quietly allowing it to happen. She was a totally willing participant. She even did things she didn't usually do on a first date. She was acting very much like the perfect crack whore slut. She did whatever it took to get what she wanted. In her case it wasn't drugs. Well maybe it was the best drug of all, one her own body manufactured. The free flow of endorphins was truly intoxicating. She wondered if she could be charged with driving under the influence of great sex. Then she wondered how the hell they would test for it.


Lucille was sleeping on her side of what she felt was a cold king sized bed. If I ever fall in love and get married for the right reasons, I'm going to sleep with my husband in a twin bed, she thought. Since she couldn't fall asleep she simply got out of bed and had a drink. She looked at the empty king sized bed and wondered who her husband was screwing that night, not that it really mattered to her.


Eddie arrived at the office first, after having stopped on the way in to purchase coffee and a small box of cake donuts. Since there was likely to be only three of them in the office, a half dozen donuts had sounded about right. He had bought plain cake donuts because he didn't like sweet icing on his donuts. The others would just have to live with it. He bought two chocolate cakes, and two spiced as well a plain yellow cake pastry.

None of them had any extra sugar of any kind. He told himself it was his way of keeping his weight down. In truth Spring would do more for that than anything else. In his case physical activity defeated the munchies every time.


While Eddie, Wes, and Salina munched on donuts and coffee, May and Mike were sitting uneasily over breakfast at the Downtown Grill in County Seat.

May: Do we need to talk about last night. Because if we do, let's do it now and never speak of it again.

Mike (Smiling): I don't need to talk. I'm fine with how our first date went.

Mike actually laughed confidently which bothered May immensely. She just didn't know how to respond so she shook her head and looked at him sarcastically.

May: Tell me again why we drove all the way here for breakfast.

Mike: This place was mentioned in Sylvia Porter's biography report. We have to eat somewhere and someone might remember her here. You know killing two birds with one stone. Also getting a feel for where she started is a good thing.

The black waitress came to the table to get their order.

Waitress: What you out of town Lawyers going to have?

Mike: Okay out of town I get, since you probably know everyone who comes in, but what makes you think we are lawyers?

Waitress: Do you really want to know?

May: Sure give us your homegrown deductions.

Waitress: Well he looks like a nerd, and you look like you sittin' on the sharp end of a fence post. What with your little black tailored power suit and all. The only things brings folk like you here is the Judge sittin'. We be the County Seat after all.

May: Well I'm a Lawyer and this is my nerd bitch.

She probably enjoyed saying it too much. She winked at the waitress who broke into a real laugh.

Waitress: Well, he do look that way now that you mention it. So what y'all going to have?

May: If you have a breakfast special, I'll have that.

Mike: The bitch boy will have the special with black coffee and some information.

Waitress: What kind of information?

Mike: Did you know Sylvia Porter?

Waitress: Course I knowed Miss Sylvia. Everybody round here knowed her. Best damn Sheriff we ever had.

May: So you knew her as a Sheriff?

Waitress: Honey I knowed her from the first day she came to town. She come running in here on her first day as a Deputy. Had a big ole black stray dog running behind. He wasn't chasin' her. Like all you stray dogs he knowed she was going to feed him. I fixed him a plate of left over eggs and stuff. Silvia gave me two tips. One from her and one from the dog. I found that dog a home. I could almost always find her strays a home. Them strays just attached themselves to her like they knowed they was going to be safe.

Grill cook: What y'all want with Sylvia, she be dead. You can't fuck with her no more now.

He was holding what was obviously a very sharp knife used to cut things for the stew pot. Or maybe to cut the heads off Yankee white trash, May thought.

Mike: We are looking for a friend of hers, Rose Seabold.

Grill cook: Never heard that name.

A look passed between the two cafe employees. It signaled that the information well had dried up.

A customer seated at the counter turned to look at the two of them.

Customer: You see that sign across the square? The one that say the Fox and Hounds Pub.

Mike: Yeah.

Customer: That's owned by the Brit and his friend Jeremy. They knowed Sheriff Porter real well. Most likely if anyone knows that Rose person, it will be one of them.

May: Thanks.

She and Mike concentrated on the greasy food. It was delicious but May could almost hear her arteries hardening. After breakfast they went back to the B&B to discuss their next move.

May: What kind of B&B gives you a voucher for a greasy spoon cafe two blocks away?

Mike: I don't know May. I never stayed in a B&B before. But take a look over there. That is a Farms Cooperative Savings and Loan.

May: So what?

Mike: I never saw that in either of their financial reports. It was pretty close to where they both lived for a while. It might be the tie in if they both had secret accounts in there.

May: That's out of my realm of expertise but trust me Michael you still haven't stayed in a real B&B. So what's next bitch nerd?

Mike: Since we don't want to hang around for a Court Order for the records and I can get them anyway, I guess we go visit the brother and sister act, Jeremy and Alice.

May: You going to call and make an appointment?

Mike: I think we might do better just showing up on their doorstep.

May: Unless they aren't home, or are just heading out the door, or something else.

Mike: If that is the case we shall adapt, as Wes says. He says it's all about being able to adapt.

May: What is this, you and the burned out CIA man getting to be asshole buddies?

Mike: Before I met Wes, I would be pissed by that. Now I just think it is sad that you don't have anyone you respect. So let's get over to Jeremy's and see what is going on with them.

May: (shaking her head) You are getting all Zen on me aren't you?

Mike: Wes says when you are deprived of something it is natural to attack those who have what you want. Whenever you are attacked it is usually about envy or sex. I would love to think your attack was about sex, but most likely you envy my relationship with Wes.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.