Family Letters
Chapter 14

Copyright© 2014 by Allan Joyal

Ah my brother,

Nice to hear that you are happy in your new position. I guess you forget that I'll test and know my CAP score before Beth gives birth. Depending on how things go I might even be picked up before you hold your baby in your arms. And it sounds like you'll get to father quite a few more.

I guess I'm a bit different from you. You mention being content being a concubine and a bit afraid of leaving them behind if you become a soldier. I've already decided that if I get the choice I'll be the soldier standing in harm's way to protect others.

Lots going on here. Erica and I seem to be together all the time now. I mean, we are in our training class together (more about that later) and then we go to rehearsals for A Chorus Line together. When all that is over we go to see her Great-Aunt Louise to pick up John. That almost always turns into a lesson on manners and deportment. Plus we still have Tai Chi with Chin-pa in the mornings and our usual dance lessons. Erica has got me practicing ballet a bit. I hate ballet, but she pointed out that it does help improve posture and grace. I get her back by dragging her to my jazz dancing classes. She's improving quite a bit.

I saw Marilyn last week. She said the combat medic classes she's taking are tough. Erica and I both mentioned we can still have another person join us, but she's positive that medic is right for her. We did arrange to get together every Wednesday night to gossip and relax. Marilyn looked so tired. I think she's lost twenty pounds and you remember her. She didn't have much extra fat before then. Now you can see her ribs. Erica and I dragged her to Piggy's for some of their sloppy grease burgers. You could tell that Marilyn hadn't been eating well, she finished off four before finally saying she couldn't eat another bite. I worry about her. She's pushing herself so hard and doesn't appear to have any support network. From what she said, her father has effectively disowned her after she told him that she would not take him as a concubine if she got a qualifying score.

Mom and Dad continue to feud with Grandpa Pickering. The fact that we've brought Erica's great-aunt into the fight proved to be doubly beneficial to us. The old biddy (her name for herself) happens to be a "close personal friend" of several state representatives and even a couple of judges. Erica made the mistake of asking how close. I won't tell you the answer, but both Erica and I had very red faces for the rest of the evening. Anyways Louise was happy to talk to some of her "friends" and they have gotten involved. Legally they can't do much, but I understand Grandpa Pickering has been asked oh so politely to "Butt the fuck out!"

I don't think Grandpa took that very well. A new business opened up in town and announced they will be distributing lumber. Father laughed when he heard. He's promised Mister Merks that he won't lose a single bidding war this year.

Oh, that is one thing I haven't written about. Something lit a fire under father's ass. He's gotten three major contractors to sign exclusive lumber contracts with Mister Merks lumber yard. Mom just glows when anyone talks about Father's recent success. Nothing appears to have changed with them. The only thing I noticed was that they were out for the last two weekends. Erica and I ended up spending a few hours watching John at the park. He's playing in a summer soccer league. He's playing as a right side midfielder, but isn't a major part of the team he's on. The left side midfielder is clearly much better so most of the offense goes to his side of the field.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.