Eden
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2014 by Colin Barrett

Group meetings usually conclude in a rapid exodus by the participants, eager to resume their individual lives, with but a few stragglers. This was no different, and Igwanda strode purposefully out the door. But as he passed through the media contingent that waited patiently outside to press the crew members for information, declining to even recognize the shouted questions, he was followed closely by Meiersdottir. He deliberately took a detour to the exit and then, when she still followed, abruptly turned.

"Madam—" he began.

"Col. Igwanda!" she called at the same instant.

He snorted a quick laugh. "You have the advantage of me, madam," he said. "I don't—"

"Amanda Meiersdottir, Colonel," she interrupted. "Sociologist."

"Ah," he said with a slight bow. "Sociologist extraordinaire, I believe."

"Sociologist," she said firmly, but returned a mock curtsy. "I followed you to see if I might buy you a drink."

"By which you mean, to resume our brief discourse early in the session and interrogate me for further information," he said.

"That would be a topic of conversation," she replied calmly.

"Then I ask your pardon," said the colonel. "I can reveal little more than I said before, and I do not want to overburden your hospitality." He turned to walk on.

"Please wait, sir," she said quietly. When he turned again, she went on. "I'm not trying to extract classified information from you—not now, at any rate. But you said something that concerns me greatly. I need to discuss it with you further, not just to ask you questions but to offer information. We don't have to talk now, but I consider it urgent that we do well before shuttle liftoff."

"Dr. Meiersdottir—" he began.

"Or it may be that this mission never occurs," she added.

He looked at her for several seconds without speaking. Most people would have quailed under such a gaze—most had, in his experience. Meiersdottir simply returned his inspection with the same impassivity he showed, neither pressured by his silence to blurt out anything further nor offering a hint of retraction.

"You will explain further, madam," he said at length. "I do not choose a public venue. My room in the hotel next door. Room 1732. At least an hour, I prefer to shower and relax after this session. No alcohol will be served. I expect you to be there or I shall deem you a security risk and seek your expulsion from the mission." He spun abruptly and walked away.

It would, to Igwanda's military mind, have been a show of weakness to have turned again to look back. Had he done so, he might have seen a slight smile transfuse her face as she watched him walk away.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.