Aging Well - Cover

Aging Well

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 24 [Sandy writes]

Jack’s mother was just getting in there. Jack said, “Seriously, mom, let her cook. She is a great cook.”

“Jack, it’s your mother’s kitchen. If she wants my help, I’m here. But it’s her call, darling.

“Besides, your mother is a great cook. I learned a couple of tricks last night just from eating her meal that I will use on you next time I cook.”

The coffee finished dripping. When it finished, Jack poured three cups. He fixed mine for me and handed it over. He said, “Mom, how do you like yours?”

“Just a touch more cream and sugar than you did for Sandy. Also, fix a cup for your father. He’s in the radio room talking. He wants it black without sugar.” He fixed a cup for his mother and put it close to her.

He poured a fourth cup. I said, “I’ll take it to him.” I took both cups, Dad’s and mine, and headed for the radio room. I came in and he was listening with ear phones. I put the cup within his sight range. He pulled the phones off. I said, “Good morning, Dad.”

“Good morning, Sandy. I was surprised. I had expected Sarah.”

“I’m a poor replacement but at least I can carry coffee.” I grinned.

“You’re a very pretty replacement. I guess Jack’s up, too?” I nodded. “I don’t need the ear phones any more then.” He pulled the plug and the speaker came to life.

“ ... heard the beautiful voice I heard last night. Andrew’s son must be marrying a real looker. K5DJR, K5GSA.”

A new voice said, “K5GSA, K5DJR. Fine business, Bert. My wife dragged me to a quilting convention. Andrew was there with his wife. Andrew’s Sarah is a very pretty lady herself. Myra and she have become friends. They make some beautiful quilts.”

I said, “Break in and then let me talk.”

He grinned. “ ... seen some of Sarah’s and they look good. She sets a great table, too. K5DJR, K5GSA.”

Dad said, “Contact.”

“Go contact.”

He handed me the mike. I said, “Thank you. This is Sandy with W5AVN as control operator. Bert, you never know who’s listening to you. I’m sitting in here with Dad drinking coffee. K5GSA, W5AVN.”

“Good morning, Sandy. It truly is a pleasure to hear your voice this morning. John, now you, too, can hear her beautiful voice. Sandy, John’s in Lubbock, Texas. Your turn, John, and pass it to Sandy. K5DJR, K5GSA.”

“Thank you, Bert. K5DJR, John, here. Sandy, you do have a beautiful voice. When are you getting married? W5AVN, K5DJR.”

“Thank you, John. It’s good to meet you this morning. W5AVN. Jack is Andrew’s son. We will be married this Sunday afternoon and leave for a two-week honeymoon in a camping trailer. I know that doesn’t sound romantic but we think it is. We love to camp. Bert, I will send it on to you and join my guy in the kitchen. I’ll leave you to Andrew. K5GSA, W5AVN.”

“Eighty-eight, Sandy. Thanks for joining us this morning. W5AVN, K5GSA.” He continued to talk going into the weather.

I stood. “Dad, I’ll come get you for breakfast.” I gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“Thank you, Sandy.”

I went back into the kitchen to hear Jack say, “ ... love her so much it hurts.”

I said, “I don’t want you to hurt, Jack, but I do want you to love me.” I sat in his lap and kissed his lips lightly. “I love you, you studly man.” I grinned at him and at his mother. “How can I help, Missus Norris?”

“Call me, Sarah or Mom, first. It’s easier. Second, would you do the grits? Jack, make toast. Your father will have three and I want two.”

“I’ll be glad to help, Mom. What pot should I use?”

“Use that smaller one. We have fruit, sausages, eggs, and toast also.”

“Okay.” I saw an old cup with warm grease in it. “May I get a little bacon grease from there?”

“Yes, dear. That’s why it’s there.” I put some grease in the pot and added water. I set that pot on the stove and let it begin heating. Mom hip banged me gently. “I have a studly son?”

“Yes, ma’am. Very much so.” We laughed together.

I looked at the eggs and said, “Jack, you can start the production line for the toast now.”

He put bread in the toaster. He looked at me. “How many pieces of toast for you, Sandy?”

“Just one. Thank you, dear.” Moments later, the water was boiling and I measured the grits in by hand. I stirred them in and let the water keep bubbling. I added salt and pepper and stirred them a few more times.

“You have the right of it, Sandy. Get a pad and put the pot on the table with that spoon when they finish.”

“Yes, Mom. Thanks.” Minutes later, I turned off the heat and placed the pot as I was told. The table was set and Jack was busy with toast. “Should I get Dad?”

“Please. We’re almost ready.”

I went down the hall and knocked as I entered. “Breakfast.”

He nodded. “Seventy-three guys. Sandy just called me in for breakfast. W5AVN is clear.” He got up and followed me into the kitchen. I heard Bert as we left.

We all sat down and had a prayer. I said, “Jack, let’s get our ham licenses. I’ve got the bug.”

Jack said, “Okay, dear. What’s involved?”

I looked at Jack’s father. “Exactly what do we have to do, Dad?”

“There are three levels and you take a multiple choice test for each level.

“The first one is Technician with thirty-five questions. A Tech license gives you rights in the VHF spectrum. Primarily, that means the two-meter and four forty bands. You have rights in the six-meter band and limited rights in ten meters. It’s a good first step.

“The second step is a General license. It’s the big jump because it opens all the HF bands. There are a few frequencies reserved for extras but ninety percent of ham radio is in the General areas and frequencies. Many hams stop there because it’s enough.

“The final step is an Amateur Extra license. Usually referred to as an Extra. Everything is open then. It’s the longest test having fifty questions though still multiple choice like the others.

“A number of people take the Tech and General at the same sitting. A very, very few take all three. As you move up, there is more theory and operational knowledge needed. There are study guides for each level and you can take practice tests online with real questions.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.