Aging Well - Cover

Aging Well

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 13 [Jack writes]

I saw John’s and Becky’s jaws drop. Her last bit stopped me cold. I’ve never been vain but Sandy could give me the big head if I let her. I grinned. “She’s drawn to me because I have a big magnet. I pull her in by the fasteners to her bra.” I laughed. Sandy laughed with me but there was a look in her eyes that said there was a different reason in fact.

My son and daughter were looking at me in shock, realizing that their father might not be the same person that they had been told. Short of throttling Sandy, there wasn’t much I could do to stop her and I had no intention of laying an unfriendly, much less a violent, hand on her.

I said, “How about the Embers for supper. You can have fish with a fishy man.” Everyone laughed.

Sandy said, “If we’re going there, I want to change clothes. I will not go in this outfit.”

John said, “I like it. You’re hot. I bet Dad thinks so, too.”

She said, “That’s fine. The two of you can just think. I’m going to change. Give me ten minutes.”

I smiled and nodded. “We’ll come over and pick you up.”

“Your car?” I nodded. “Top down?” I nodded again. She looked at Becky. “Wear more.” She warned her.

I went up and changed shirts. Becky changed her clothes to a nice skirt and blouse with a sweater over her arm. We went out and got in my car. The kids wedged into the back seat and I rolled out and over to Sandy’s house. She saw us and came out before I could cut the engine. I did get out and help her to her seat. She was wearing slacks with the same blouse and carrying a sweater.

I headed to the Embers. That name for a place that specialized in seafood never made sense to me. I had been with customers at the restaurant a few times and one of them had asked. The host came over because our server didn’t know. He was the son of the owner. He had said, “My dad wanted a steak and seafood place. Most of our seafood is grilled as, of course, are the steaks. It was only after five years that we began to offer fried. We are best known for our grilled items though we can fry them, too. It’s Embers for the grill.”

We came in and were greeted by the host and taken to a table for four. I sat Sandy to my right with Becky to my left and my son in front of me. John’s eyes widened remembering that I always told him the place of honor was to the host’s right. The second place was to the hostess’s right. I don’t know if Becky caught any of this but John sure did.

I received another look from my oldest child and knew that he caught this bit of a statement. I don’t know if Sandy caught it but I had a suspicion that she did. We were served the house white wine from a bottle that I had ordered.

Sandy said, “This is quite good. It’s neither too sweet nor too dry. It will go well with seafood.

“Jack, what do you suggest?”

“Grilled shrimp and scallops is my favorite here with pasta in a special sauce and a Caesar salad.”

“You are having that?”

“Yes.”

She closed her menu. “Please order it for me, too.”

Becky’s head popped up. “Aren’t you going to look at the menu?”

“Why? Your father has impeccable taste and I trust his judgment completely.”

Becky’s face had an interesting look to it. John’s was sort of awestruck. Our server came up and asked if he could take our order. He looked at Sandy who looked at me. The server said, “Sir, the lady looks to you.”

“Yes, my lady and I will have the grilled shrimp and scallops with the pasta and sauce, Caesar salads, and one order of fried mushrooms to share.” I looked at my daughter. “Becky?”

She said, “I would like the stuffed flounder, loaded baked potato, and a house salad with French dressing. Thank you.”

John was next. He said, “Becky, will you share some mushrooms with me?” Becky nodded. “I will have the same as my father including an order of fried mushrooms. Thank you.”

The server said, “The shrimp and scallops are a wise choice. We had a delivery this afternoon of some of the best I have seen in a year and our seafood is always great. Thank you for your orders.” He looked back at me and said, “Sir, may I suggest starting with the salads, followed by the appetizers?”

“That will be fine.” The server left.

Becky took a sip of wine. She said, “This is really good.”

“Your father has excellent taste in wine and an uncanny ability to pick a wine that perfectly complements the meal. His judgment is great and, like I said earlier, I trust that judgment completely in all things.

“Earlier this week, I watched him tend to a young woman who was scared and in pain. He relieved her fears and helped her deal with her pain with just words and his smile.”

She took a deep breath. “He is a very impressive man.

“I understand he had the money to put both of you through college without any student loans. Did your mother ever work?”

John said, “Not in my memory other than a little part-time job.”

Sandy let her silence speak eloquently. Fortunately, our salads arrived moments later. I asked to pray and did. John and Sandy both enjoyed the Caesar salads and said so. Becky was a little quiet but seemed to enjoy her salad. The house salads are very good but the Caesar is classic. I usually would order a house salad anywhere but here.

Just as we finished our salads, our appetizers were served. For a few moments, I forgot my children and concentrated upon my partner as we ate our mushrooms. We were leaning our heads together as we ate and laughed. John and Becky were talking quietly. Our appetizers were finished and we had a minute before our dinners were brought out.

Becky asked Sandy if she needed to use the restroom. Sandy nodded and they went. John looked at me and said, “Dad, why didn’t you tell us any of this?”

I simply said, “You didn’t want to hear it. If your mother hadn’t been careless, you wouldn’t be here to have to hear it. I had been written out of your lives years ago when you were in college. It hurt then but I had to complete my duty and move on.”

“Dad, were we just a duty to you?”

“John, you wouldn’t want to talk to me about anything. You and Becky went out of your way to ignore me. After a while, all there was to my relationship with you was my duty to each of you to see you through college and get you established in your jobs. I think I did that well and expected and expect nothing for it. That all sounds like completing a duty to me. Doesn’t it to you?”

“Yes, sir.”

Sandy and Becky came back at that instant. Both had been crying. I looked at Becky and said quietly but with steel in my tone, “If you have said something to hurt Sandy...”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.