Aging Well
Chapter 12 [Sandy writes]

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

“Hello, Becky. What’s happening?”

“I’m headed out to shop right now. I should be back after lunch.”

“Two would be fine. See you then.”

He punched the end button and pocketed his phone. He looked at me and said, “We have four hours to ourselves. I would like you to be with me when she and John arrive.”

“Why, Jack?”

“I will not lie to my children about a relationship and I hope that we have one. They need to know that and get used to it.”

“I would like to think we have a relationship, Jack.” He gave me a hug. We closed up my house and left in the convertible.

We picked up a few odds and ends including some more wine and had lunch. We returned and put everything on his camper. We would deal with it tomorrow or Monday morning.

We went into his condo parking the convertible in the garage. We were looking at my painting in the living room with our arms around each other’s waist. The doorbell rang surprising us both.

Jack went to answer the door. It was Becky and John. Jack said, “Good afternoon. Sandy and I just hung a new painting two days ago.”

Becky came in and said, “It’s gorgeous, Dad. Where did you buy it?”

“I didn’t buy it. It was given to me by the artist.”

John said, “Wow, Dad! I didn’t know you knew any artists of that caliber.”

Jack said, “You might be surprised. The artist is right here.” He looked at me and smiled gently.

Becky exclaimed, “You painted it! It looks great! It’s so restful and just pulls my eye to look at it.”

John said, “I’m now officially impressed. You’re a very good painter. I would like for Pam to meet you soon. She will like you.”

I said, “I would enjoy meeting her also, John.” I turned to Jack. “I should be going. I’m sure you have plenty to talk about.”

Jack said, “Please stay. I really want you to stay this afternoon.” John nodded eagerly. Becky wasn’t so happy about it but was out-voted. We all sat down. Jack said, “Becky, what is your timing?”

“All my furniture and stuff is stored. All I have is clothes and not a lot of those. I really want to get out of Mom’s before I get grabbed by one of her visitors.

“I am ashamed, Dad. You tolerated her more than you should. I ... I was wrong to have blamed you. It was particularly unfair since I didn’t even hear your side. Mom bragged to me that you split everything fairly. I am really, really sorry. It’s even harder to say this in front of your friend. Sandy, I’m sorry about washing our dirty clothes in front of you. I needed to say this and do it quickly.” I was next to her and gave her a hug.

John said, “Dad, I was a fool, too. Doubly so since I didn’t listen to Pam. She was right.”

I watched Jack. He didn’t gloat or say anything other than, “It’s all right. It’s all right.” I wasn’t surprised. What I had seen of Jack showed me that he is a caring, compassionate man who was so utterly confident in who he was that he had nothing to prove. I felt like a better person just because I knew he cared for me.

Jack said, “Let’s get you a key to the place, Becky, and a remote for the garage door on your side.” She nodded. “I’m sorry but I will not step foot in that house again. I will be glad to help you carry things in here. Let me show you your bedroom. If the bed isn’t adequate, we can get you another when I get back from camping. You will have plenty of peace since I’m leaving in Monday morning after my run and breakfast.”

He then continued but with a noticeable hint of steel in his voice though still quiet and friendly. “Sandy is going with me. We aren’t sleeping together. There will be no further questions about our relationship from either of you. I would appreciate neither of you mentioning her to your mother either.”

Both of them stared at Jack like he had two heads. They got over it quickly. John said, “Yes, sir. I understand. I am going to tell Pam what I know. I know that, when I tell her, she will invite you both over and we will welcome you gladly.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.