Aging Well - Cover

Aging Well

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 6 [Sandy writes]

I liked it, his arm that is, and appreciated his pride in my work. We stood there for some minutes just looking at the framed painting on his wall and enjoying the closeness.

I said, “Let’s go to my place. I need to put some things on to simmer for supper tonight.”

“Your wish is my command.”

We went over to my condo and into the kitchen. I put on an apron. Jack said, “How can I help?”

“Just watch and tell me things about you.”

I saw him watching my moves as I prepared the sauce for this evening. I had it heating and sautéed some onions, garlic, and a few other things.

“You’re supposed to talk. So, speak!”

“Woof!” He laughed. “Seriously, there’s nothing much to tell that you don’t know. When I worked, I was a systems engineer working with building control systems. I managed projects for the company. They paid me well but the hours were long and, as the economy tightened, so did the attitudes. We were moving from new construction to rehabilitation work to upgrading systems and adding functionality. The projects became under-funded with tight time lines. It had ceased to be fun and was just work. After the divorce was filed, I gave notice and quit. The company was downsizing and I probably saved someone’s job who needed it.

“I had taken a six month lease on a furnished apartment. By the time the lease was over, everything else was over including the property settlement. I took my share and bought the condo and the car. Actually, I did that in reverse order. I had to give up my company car when I quit. I wanted something other than a four-door sedan. I have to admit that I enjoy it. This time of year is perfect for a convertible.”

Jack, why don’t you go over to your place and get the scotch for a drink or two?”

“That works. Don’t change clothes.”

“Why?”

“I like that outfit. So did Ben.” He grinned, stood up, and went out the door. He returned moments later with two bottles. When he returned, I was still in the kitchen working away though most of the work was done.

“What’s with two bottles?”

“I thought you might like the Teacher’s. If that continues to be true, I thought I would ply you with a Rusty Nail.”

“What’s a Rusty Nail?”

“It’s a drink made with Scotch and Drambuie. I particularly like it made with Teacher’s.” He poured two drinks of a finger each of the Teacher’s and added an ice cube.

“Here, Sandy, remember to sip it.”

I’m glad he warned me. Straight Scotch is strong but I enjoyed the taste. “Jack, it’s still good but it’s to be sipped and not gulped, right? I don’t guess purists would use any kind of mixer?”

“Real purists wouldn’t even serve a good Scotch over the rocks. I do for two reasons, The ice cools and dilutes the Scotch just a bit. The other popular way is with soda water but I don’t like the fizz.

“Here’s to a very pretty lady who can really cook. Cheers.” We clinked glasses.

I continued to sip as I finished my current chores for the evening meal. I was finished for about an hour. I said, “Jack, it needs to simmer for an hour. Let’s sit out back for a while.”

“As long as I can look at you, it’s fine with me.”

“You’re going to make me self-conscious. Come on.” We sat outside and enjoyed our drinks. Sure enough, Jennifer came out and joined us. She said, “Sandy, who is this?”

I said, “He is Jack Norris who lives across the street. He’s fairly new here. Jack, this is Jennifer Rogers. She likes to gossip so tell her something juicy so she won’t make anything up.” I smiled to take the sting out but I knew Jennifer. She wouldn’t care.

Jack said, “Hi, Jennifer. I am now the proud owner of one of Sandy’s paintings. The frame shop wants to show her stuff.”

I muttered, “Shit!”

Jennifer brightened instantly. “Good to meet you, Jack. Now, what’s this about Sandy’s paintings?”

He grinned at me. “She paints wonderfully. She let me see them earlier today. I liked one and offered to buy it. She wouldn’t sell it but offered to give it to me. I took her up on her offer. We had it framed this morning and it’s hanging in my living room right now. While we were there, the owner of the shop offered to show her work and represent her. She does wonderful work. I’m proud that the first one outside her studio is hanging on my living room wall over the sofa.”

Jennifer was impressed and was speechless. I decided to jump into the conversation before Jack got me in too far. I said, “Jack overstates Ben’s interest and my ability. It’s not a big thing.

“Jack is a camper. He just bought a tent trailer. He’s going out Monday to try it out.”

Jennifer said, “Ooh, Jack! Where are you going?”

“It will be just a little shakedown to Indian Springs State Park. It has good facilities and isn’t far if I have any difficulties with the camper. If that works out, I will plan more trips in the future. It’s been years since I’ve camped but I always enjoyed it.”

We talked with Jennifer for a while. Now moving to inconsequential subjects like weather and her gossip about what was happening in the complex. Eventually, I heard the buzzer and said, “Time to go in and work on dinner some more. See you later, Jennifer.”

I stood and Jack stood. After a moment, Jennifer stood and Jack and I went inside. He said, “She’s sweet but she’s an airhead. Someone probably has to nail one of her feet down to keep her from blowing away in a stiff breeze.”

“Jack, she found you attractive. You could get in her panties.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.