Aging Well - Cover

Aging Well

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 2 [Sandy writes]

I walked back to my condo thinking about what was I going to make and what had I gotten into. It had been over a year since my marriage had ended abruptly. But did I want a relationship, even a casual one? I had to admit that Jack seemed to be a nice guy and wasn’t bad looking either.

I decided that supper would be pasta with a tomato and sausage sauce to go with the red wine I had told him to bring. I put some things out and decided that a shower was necessary along with some fresh clothes. I said to myself, “Don’t pick anything spectacular.” I didn’t want to push this.

He had said his age but I hadn’t offered mine. I was very conscious of having passed fifty a couple of months ago. I had come to grips years ago with the fact that I could not have children. I was disappointed that he wasn’t more upset about his children’s attitude. I wondered if he was cold to others like it suggested he was to them.

I mused about this as I removed my clothing and stepped into the shower. While I was showering, I checked my body for stray hair. I still shaved everything below the neck though there was no particular reason why. It was a habit from the summer between my junior and senior years in high school. Over the years, I found that I liked the feeling. I gave my body a touch-up.

Why was I doing that? I had no intention of removing my clothes tonight until after Jack went home. I realized that I still enjoyed getting pretty.

I dried off and dressed. I was wearing my usual undies. Over the years, I had found that I liked to wear fancy panties and bras. They gave me a confidence even when no one saw them but me. I put on another pair of shorts and shoes with a little more heel. My top would be another homemade blouse. With the light brown shorts, the emerald green would look good.

Fully dressed, I headed for the kitchen and put on an apron. I started cooking and cutting using primarily fresh ingredients. Cooking proceeded with no issues. I was a neat and careful cook. Actually, cooking was another hobby though I rarely had the chance to show my ability to anyone.

I wondered if Jack had any siblings or parents alive. My parents were gone and I had been an only child. My decision to divorce Mike had been put off due to their illnesses. When they died, divorce was my thought and then Mike was killed. I wondered how innocent of cheating Jack had really been. He had the look that suggested he had a way with women.

I was worried about that issue. I would use that concern to slow down my feelings if I started to hurry. This evening would just be dinner and conversation. If I still liked him, I might give him a kiss when he left for his condo.

My place was neat and clean. I was looking forward to his visit. I even hummed tunelessly as I watched over supper. I was going to make an appetizer salad but would wait until closer to time for him to show up. It wouldn’t wilt but freshly cut and pulled salads always tasted better to me. I mixed up a vinaigrette for it using a recipe that I had found years ago. I put it in the fridge to chill.

I realized that I was spending a lot of time on this meal for a casual dinner. I began to wonder how casual it really was. I shied away from that thought. I thought to myself, “Just let it be. If things are going to be good, they will be. If they don’t go good, then I have only lost a little time.”

It was six thirty and time for me to make my salad, put the final touches on everything, and remove the apron. Then, I could sit calmly for a moment. Everything was ready, the table was set, and I was cool, calm, and collected as the saying goes.

The doorbell rang. I panicked for an instant. Without hurry or delay, I went to the door and greeted Jack.

He cleaned up well. He had a bottle under his arm and I could see that he had managed to chill it. That worked for a light red.

“Good evening, Jack. Thanks for coming over.”

“Thank you for inviting me, Sandy.”

I decided to admit it. “Why are we suddenly so formal? I enjoyed today. It’s the first time in a long time that I’ve enjoyed a day with someone. If we can keep from scaring each other, we will have a fine time tomorrow. I am looking forward to a good meal with good company.”

“I’m looking forward to that, all of it.” He smirked. “I still want you to show me your etchings.” He grinned. I relaxed and grinned back. I thought to myself that I didn’t understand some other women and, in particular, his ex-wife.

That shocked me. I told myself you have to be with someone to cheat on them. I’m not with anyone. My mind subconsciously added, yet.

To Jack, I said, “Your timing is great. Let’s open the wine and sit down to our salads. Do you need a corkscrew?”

“No, it’s a twist-off. I found this brand by accident and it’s pretty good.” He opened it as we approached the dining table.

“If you will pour, I will get the salads.” I had remembered to set out wine glasses. I left him pouring and retrieved the salads dressing them quickly. I put the salad bowls in place. He seated me!

He handed me my glass and held his to clink mine. He said, “To a nice evening with nice company.” I smiled at him before drinking. I really looked into his eyes and saw a warm, friendly look in them.

At this time, that was the right look for me. I tried to smile back in the same manner. He gave a simple blessing for the meal. We talked while we ate our salads. We finished and it was time for our entrees. I took our empty salad plates into the kitchen. I realized he was following me with the dinner plates. Mike had never done that. I liked it. It was sweet. I set the salad plates in the sink and took the dinner plates from Jack. “Thank you, Jack. I will serve them and bring them out.” He smiled and went back to the dining room.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.