Annie
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2014 by happyhugo

I took everyone out to a noon-day dinner. Annie was very quiet. I think she was more than a little intimidated by having so many people around she didn't know. Where she had been, all the children and adults were familiar. On the way back from dinner, I stopped and bought corsages for all of us. Annie took a nap as soon as we reached home. It was I who had to lie down with her.

I guess I was tired, for I slept too. It was only an hour later when I opened my eyes and saw that Annie was awake. "Daddy, what does getting married mean?"

"It means that a man and woman, or as in your case, a mommy and daddy gets a paper or license and goes to an official to have some words said. When this happens the mommy and daddy make a promise to love and take care of each other forever. That's what we are going to do tonight. We already have the paper. If they have a child like you, then they have to love and care for you until you are old enough to care for yourself."

"Daddy, I'm glad you are marrying Mommy. Can we get up now? I want to show you the dress Mommy bought for me. She has a new dress too. She is beautiful."

"You are too, sweetheart."

The women went in to get dressed. "So, Gordon, what have you been discussing?"

"You, some. I told Sandy and Caitlin what I knew about you. Sandy thinks she lucked out. I don't know but what you did too. She's young and smart and I know she will work hard to make you and Annie happy. She comes with quite a chunk of change too. I'm referring to her wages for four years. The IRS, of course, has received their cut so it comes with taxes paid. A nice nest egg to start life together with."

"We won't need it because I intend to take care of her with my own money."

"Handy to have in reserve, though."

The girls came out of the bedroom. Annie came running and twirled around in front of Caitlin. "Aren't I pretty?"

"Very, very pretty. Can that pretty girl steal a kiss from a beautiful little girl?"

"Okay, but don't mess me up."

My eyes went to Sandy. She was wearing a cotton dress that came just below her knees. It was a pale yellow, buttoned to her throat. Scattered across in front of each shoulder were embroidered minute colorful flowers. Her very thin stature made her look to be about fifteen instead of the twenty-seven she said she was. She had chosen a little coronet of flowers for her hair. She looked like the bride she was soon to be.

Caitlin had changed into a dress, ridding herself of the suit she had arrived in. Gordon said, "I guess I had better put my jacket on. I'm glad I polished my shoes this morning."

That made me laugh, making me remember I had told him he was out of character with shiny shoes. I went in and donned my suit. When I came out, I checked to make sure we had the wedding rings and the license. Gordon was driving us in his SUV. I would rent a vehicle tomorrow for the remainder of our stay here rather than relying on taxi service.

This was no wedding to write home about. The justice of the peace was at his table when we arrived He had shouted for us to come in when Caitlin knocked. He was eating spaghetti for dinner. He did wipe his lips on a paper napkin before he spoke. The shirt he had on wasn't put on today or even yesterday by all indication. Today's meal was accented by an eight inch string of spaghetti draped across yesterday's gravy drip just below his chin.

"Show me your license. I want to make this all legal. I'll take a look at your fifty dollars at the same time. Take your time lining up in front of the lectern. I got that little item when a church went bankrupt. Tools of the office, so to speak. We'll take care of the paperwork before I begin and get that out of the way. You can see where to sign your names. Make sure you put in the correct date. You got the rings I see. You can put them on now. Saves time. Now hold your hands."

His voice dropped lower and it seemed like he was trying to imitate some great preacher. There was a book on the lectern, but he didn't open it. He had memorized the words and raced through them. Okay, so it wasn't quite traditional. It was just a few minutes later when he told me to kiss my bride.

Suddenly he raised his arms to the ceiling and shouted, "Oh Lord, come down and bless this couple that I've joined in holy matrimony." We all jumped when he shouted. His arms came down and he said as he turned away, "My supper is probably cold by now. You can show yourselves out."

Soon we were standing outside on the walk. I looked at Sandy and then at Caitlin and Gordon. Annie was tugging at my pant leg. "Daddy, are you and Mommy married now?" This struck us all as over the top comical and we were soon laughing.

I finally controlled my mirth and answered Annie, "Yes dear, we are married. We are all the same family now.

"That man had a dirty shirt on, didn't he Mommy?"

"Yes, sweetheart he sure did." This brought another round of laughter. "Sweetheart in your lifetime you're going to see a lot of people married, but I'll guarantee you'll never see a wedding like this one. But it doesn't matter because it got us married. Now let's go out somewhere for a nice meal."

Caitlin and Gordon left as soon as dinner was over. Annie was sleepy and was soon tucked into bed. Sandy picked up a little and I watched something on the TV. She soon came in and snuggled up to me on the couch. "Crazy wedding ceremony wasn't it?"

"Yes, but the important part of it is that we are married. I agree it wasn't very solemn, but it didn't have to be. We had a few laughs at the JP's expense and that is what will make it memorable. Would you like to go to bed and make sure it is legal?"

"Yes, sweetheart, I would. You know as little as a month ago I would never have believed I could be this happy. And I am happy."

"I am too."


We spent three more days in the cottage. Annie and I put on bathing suits and went swimming in the small lake. Sandy didn't put one on, just saying, "Maybe some day." She first watched from the shore, but then we put the little flat-bottom boat into the water and she rowed around. When Annie tired of swimming she got into the boat with her mother. I loved being in the water and swam a good distance with the boat following me.

Two days later, I rented a vehicle and we went to the county fair. They had dozens of pigs, chickens, cows, and various other small animals. Annie loved looking at the kittens and I knew that when I got home she would have one of her own to play with. The day came when we were on our own and I made the decision that I would rent a car and we would travel slowly back to Vermont.

We called nurse Brenda and told her we were leaving the area. Annie was thrilled that she could say goodbye and promised to call her when she got to her new home. I cashed in the plane ticket and we loaded up the car and headed east. Every day we found a place interesting to stop and investigate. Eight days later as the light was fading, the three of us pulled into my driveway. I had been gone just short of one month.

"Hey Mom, I'm home from my vacation. How about having a cookout to celebrate my return? I'm going to be calling Todd and Mary and ask them to come and bring the kids. I have a lot to tell you about my travels."

"Johnny I was wondering when we would hear from you. You left so suddenly and Todd wouldn't tell me anything."

"He couldn't because he didn't know what was going on. I'll fill you in tomorrow afternoon. I can't tell you all of it, but most."

Annie went running through the house. She opened all three of the bedroom doors. She stood in the doorway. She came out and stared at me. "That's a little girl's room. Where is she? I want to play with her."

Tears came into my eyes. "Sweetheart, she went away. She didn't want to go. Her mommy went away at the same time and she felt she should stay with Mommy. I hoped someday that another little girl would come to live here with me so I've kept it just as she left it. It is your room now."

"What was the little girl's name?"

"It was Leeanne and I called Leah."

"That's a pretty name. I'm going to pretend she is my friend." She went back into the room and I turned away. Sandy came into my arms knowing how I was feeling. She didn't have to say anything and I was thankful she didn't.

There was absolutely no food in the house. What a homecoming for my wife and child. "Johnny, order a pizza at the parlor I saw next to the Seven/Eleven just down the street. Pick up some milk and if they have eggs and bacon that'll be breakfast."

Sandy had gotten busy by the time I returned. She had put new sheets on both beds. Annie was almost asleep, but managed a few bites of the pizza. Sandy and I went down to tuck her in. "Daddy, I love my room. Are all of the toys mine too?"

"Yes, they are. Go to sleep now and we'll see you in the morning."

"Can I still come to bed with you?"

"Of course. Climb right over me and snuggle between us."

"Goodnight Daddy, Goodnight Mommy."

"You have a beautiful home, Johnny. The bed is so big I'll get lost in it."

"I'll find you."

"I should hope so." First thing in the morning we rushed around getting ready for company in the afternoon. It was a given that we would be eating about two. That had always been when these get-togethers happened. I had to get propane for the grill and meat to put on it and we had loaded a shopping cart at the Hannaford Grocery. I wasn't surprised when my mother and dad showed up before 12:30.

I saw Dad pull up and park in the street. Mom got out of the car and stood there waiting for Dad to get out and come around to walk up the driveway. I had coached Annie to meet them. I said "now" and Annie went off running.

"Hi Grammy and Grampa. My name is Annie. Welcome to our home."

Mom stood still looking at Annie and then said. "What did you say, little girl?"

"I said my name is Annie and I said welcome to our home. Come, Grammy and meet my mommy. You know my daddy." She took hold of my mother's hand and pulled her toward the house. Sandy and I came out and were standing waiting for them.

"Hi Mom, Dad. You've met Annie. I'd like to have you meet my wife, Sandy. We were married about two weeks ago."

"Where?"

"Wisconsin."

Dad, dry as ever said, "Guess you had a good vacation."

"Dad, it turns out it was the best one I've ever had." Dad was looking over my wife and he didn't think I had got much. I smiled to myself because Sandy had gained four pounds just since I had known her, but she was still damned skinny.

"Mother Brooks, would you come in? I'm making salads. Johnny knows a lot more about that than I do. He's the cook in the family and he says you taught him it all."

"You can't cook? That's strange."

"Not in my case. I've been in the military for eight years and never had the chance to learn. Annie, ask Grammy if you can sit on her lap." My mother's arms came out and Annie crawled up."

The door closed and I couldn't hear more. "Kinda' sudden wasn't this wedding?"

"Yeah, adopting Annie at the same time was too."

"You want to tell me a little bit more about it?"

"Not too much to tell and what I say shouldn't be discussed. Quick story: A man came to the door the day before I left and asked me to do a favor. You know how I felt about losing Leah. Well you look at Annie and she looks like Leah did when I lost her. The man used that on me to get me married to Sandy and then it was arranged for me to adopt Annie. That's all done and I have a family again. Sandy is a very sweet person and I'm glad I agreed."

"Not much to your new wife."

"Nope, not yet, but there will be. She was shot several times and is still recovering."

"Who was she shot by? Druggies?"

"No, and I can't tell you too much more. It was our people who unknowingly shot her by mistake. It happened while trying to rescue her. Quite a screw up, but she's alive and will soon be well."

"John, what in hell have you got yourself involved in?"

"It's all over now. The government promised certain things and Sandy deserves everything that was promised to her. I met some really nice people while they were winding up things for her."

"They pay you for this?"

"Some, not as much as I thought they would, but balanced against having Annie and Sandy as family, I'm more than satisfied."

"Does she bring anything to you besides herself?"

"Yes, of course."

"That's it? You are not telling me how much?"

"Nope, her business."

"I have a feeling someday, something will come back and bite you."

"I'll face it and gladly."

"Is she any good in bed?"

"Dad, I loved the wife I lost and I've enjoyed the women I've had the pleasure of dating more recently. But I'll tell you all of those women together can't compare to this one. And don't tell me I'm thinking with my dick either. I'm not, but then you probably won't believe me."

"It sounds like you love this woman?"

"I'm coming to, Dad. Hey we've stood here long enough. Let's open up the cooler and see what we can find." My sister-in-law, Mary, and their kids Junior and Ginny came in bringing a half gallon of vanilla ice cream and a blackberry pie. Todd came through the breezeway to us because that's where the beer was. Dad and Todd opened a beer while I was cooking the chicken. Junior came out. "Pop, did you know Uncle Johnny has a wife? She's got a little girl named Annie too."

"You're shitting me. Johnny, where'd you pick her up?"

Dad broke in, "John's not saying much about her. Some crazy bullshit about doing somebody a favor. She looks like she's been rode pretty hard, but he claims she is recovering from some injuries. Maybe you can get more out of him than I did."

"Dad's got most of it right. This woman did some things in the military and the government ended up owing her big time. I guess I'm the prize they are paying her with."

"She has a kid and needed someone to pay the bills, is that it?"

"Annie isn't her child. I picked the kid out for myself. That's my prize. Wait until you meet both."

"You're not making a bit of sense. Lay it out so we can understand."

"I just did. I looked at the picture of Annie and fell in love with her because she looks so much like Leah did. She needed a mother, and she needed a father. To get the child I had to take the woman. I've been married a couple of weeks now and wouldn't ever give up either one. Junior, go tell your aunt the chicken is about done and she can bring out the food. I'll put the dogs on now for all the young ones. Todd, Sandy may not look like much to you, but I'm telling I'm not making any apologies for her and I don't need to."

Sandy and Mary came out bringing the salads and picnic snacks. Junior was carrying plates, knives and serving utensils. Then he went back in for ketchup, salt and pepper. Annie had Ginny by one hand and Grammy Brooks by the other. When Sandy set the salad down she was carrying, she stuck her hand out. "You're Todd. Johnny has told me all about you. He says he couldn't have a better brother. I consider myself very fortunate to be joining Johnny's family."

"This is a surprise, Johnny getting married like he has. I never thought he would marry again."

"Why? Because he was a free-wheeling bachelor?"

"Partly that, but more because I didn't think he would take on another child to replace Leah."

"Yes, about that. Johnny couldn't have Annie without getting me as his wife. You might think I would feel bad about it, but I don't. I can't imagine ever living without either one. I'm trying my best to make sure he feels the same way."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.