An Angel on My Shoulder
Chapter 5: Things Get Strange

Copyright© 2014 by Iam RC

My next waking thoughts where in the ambulance. I have no idea how fast we were going, but the siren was not blaring, so I took that as a good sign. I was strapped to a board or something and I had one of those collars around my neck. I tried to move my right arm, but it was fastened to a splint of some kind as well. My left arm seemed mobile, when I moved it I found out I wasn't alone.

I'd like to say I was in the back with a cute nurse, but it just wasn't true. The EMT (not a nurse) was a guy. I'm not qualified to determine cuteness in the male form, so will just stick with "a guy". When he saw I was awake he asked about the pain, I thought it was considerable, but at least I wasn't screaming in agony. He started asking what seemed like an endless number of questions. Did I know what day it was? Who is the President? What's my name? My phone number? Did I remember the accident?

Accident? This was no accident that asshole threw me over the railing!

When we got to the hospital I was wheeled into one of the ER rooms. And waited ... and then I waited some more. I was really beginning to wonder if someone had forgotten about me. It was at least 30 minutes before my mother arrived. She walked in looking very worried and asked what the doctor had said.

"I haven't seen a doctor. They wheeled me in here half an hour ago and I haven't seen anyone since."

"What?!!!"

Oh boy. Mom went from worried to pissed off in about half a second. She stormed the nurse's station and the yelling started. I don't know what was said, but it was loud! Suddenly the room was full of people taking my blood pressure, temperature, shining lights in my eyes and many other medical type things. For some reason someone kept poking me with a pin asking me if I could feel that. Yes, damn it!

Then I was wheeled into an x-ray room where they repositioned me fifty different ways. They took radiographs of my back, neck and arm. I already knew the arm was broken, but I was hoping it wasn't too bad.

I was back in the treatment room about 20 minutes later when the doctor walked in. He was all smiles, but I didn't see anything to smile about. He turned on one of those light boxes and examined my innards.

"Looks like you did a good job on that arm. Skateboard accident?" he asked.

"No accident, I was attacked at school," I replied.

"What??!!" my mother went off again. "What do you mean attacked? The school called as said you had an accident and tripped down some stairs."

"Oh no, I was attacked. I only saw him briefly, but I'm sure it was Krieg. He hit me from behind and knocked me over the stair railing. It was only luck that I got my hands up in time and didn't land directly on my head. Greg and Robert were both there, so they know exactly what happened."

"I'll deal with the school tomorrow!" she declared.

"Well, fracture wise you appear to be lucky. It's a pretty clean break and seems to have set itself, unless someone has already set it for you," he looked at me pointedly.

"No idea. I was unconscious and when I came to it was already on the splint the way it is now."

He looked at the radiograph again. "Well it seems to be well positioned now in any case. I don't see anything wrong with your back or neck, so we're going to unstrap you. I want you to remain perfectly still until we tell you and then only move a little at time. Let us know if your pain increases or you feel any numbness or tingling."

Two nurses came in and started taking all the straps off. They also took the neck brace off and slowly had me move all of my limbs. Movement of the broken limb was very limited. Everything seemed to function properly so they soon had me sitting up and I could look around a bit. One ER is just about the same as any other. I already knew that I had been taken to the Barksdale Hospital. From what I could tell, it was all one large room separated with green curtains. There was lots of beeping going on, but no one seemed to be excited, so I assumed all was normal.

The doctor took a better look at my forehead and announced I would need some stitches. The worst part was that they would have to shave part of my hair to do the job. My hair looked completely ridiculous by the time they were done. I hope it grows back fast.

After casting, stitching and bandaging, we finally made it home at seven o'clock that night. I asked about my sisters. Apparently one of our neighbors, two doors down, had offered to watch then. They were an older couple that didn't have any kids at home. I assured my mother I would be fine while she went and got them.

Once I was back in my room, I examined the damages. With my arm in a sling and a bandage around my head, I looked quite the sight. Nothing I could do about it though. I hope Amy wouldn't be too embarrassed to be seen with me.

I retrieved the note from Amy. I really wanted to call her and talk, but it was two hours later then the note said to call. I wasn't sure of the reason for the time window, so I will just have to wait and talk with her on the bus in the morning.

I picked up the phone and called Greg.

"Damn, are you okay? They had you wrapped up like a mummy and you weren't moving. Half the school probably thinks you're dead."

"Hey man, I guess I'm going to live. I've got a broken arm and a nasty cut on my head. The doctors fixed me up. What happened afterward? Everyone kept asking me about my 'accident'," I inquired.

"Accident my ass! That fucker Krieg hit you so hard you flipped over the rail. Then he took off like a scared rabbit," Robert said.

"That's what I told my mom. Apparently the school thinks it was an accident, but I expect they'll be hearing differently in the morning."

We BS'ed a little more then got off the phone. I was feeling pretty groggy from the pain killers so I decided to call it a day and went to bed.

As soon as I fell asleep I felt the same strange dream sensation that I had the night before. This time something "clicked" and I felt another presence.

"Greetings young one," came a strange voice. Only it wasn't a voice as it didn't make any sound. I just knew the message.

"Hello?" I asked.

"You have been chosen."

Where did that come from? "Chosen for what."

"Of all of your people, you have been chosen to be granted a guardian," It replied.

This has got to be the strangest dream ever. "Who are you?"

"We choose not to tell you."

"Why was I chosen? What makes me special?"

"Nothing!" it laughed. "Yet, you were chosen."

What the heck is this? Did I enter a lottery that I didn't know about? What the heck is a guardian? "What if I don't want a guardian?"

"You were chosen" it repeated.

"Okay, so I was chosen. What does that mean? I get some kind of body guard that follows me around? I don't think my Mom is going to like that."

"You were chosen" it repeated. "Make sure you are in the right."

"What? What does that mean?" I asked.

The strange feeling stopped, and my alarm was going off. How did that happen? I had just laid down. But when I turned over, I could see the light starting to come through the windows and my alarm clock was saying that it was time to get up.

What an incredible dream. I've never had a dream quite like that before, it was so vivid. I guess my subconscious was trying to tell me to stop getting beat up. I don't think it understands that real people don't have body guards unless they're the President's kids or something. Already the dream was fading and I couldn't remember exactly what was said.

Strangely, nothing hurt when I got up. I expected to feel some pain just from the odd landing and the pain killers wearing off, but I felt fine. Better than fine. I think this was the best I have ever felt. Those military hospitals must have some good drugs.

I went in the bathroom to start my usual routine, only I couldn't take a shower today due to the cast and bandages. I started to treat my acne, like most kids I had a few spots that I put some cream on. Only, there weren't any. My skin was completely clear. Wow, the last stuff my mom got must really be good!

When I made it down for breakfast my mom was dressed and ready for action. "Would you like to ride to school with me this morning? I'm going to drop you sisters off then go have a talk with your principal."

I started to take her up on her offer, then remembered Amy. "Actually Mom, it seems I have acquired girlfriend. I'd like to ride the bus so I can talk with her."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.