Magician - Cover

Magician

Copyright© 2014 by QM

Chapter 113

“So Senone was razed to the ground?” Mage Sofya asked at a Council meeting to discuss the actions taken by us and our allies.

“Mainly the military and commercial premises. The housing and residential areas suffered some damage, mostly because the Tuathans tried to use them as strongpoints,” Morgana replied.

“Casualties?”

“None on our side. The Murians suffered nearly 30% losses. Gorian casualties remain unknown but we suspect they were very high in their military and the haut-Magicien cabale, plus we personally eliminated thirty-four Magiciens as well as over sixty of the Moralité Gendarmerie. Civilian casualties were unfortunately higher than we hoped for despite our efforts as the Tuathans attempted to use them as human shields at times,” Morgana answered.

“Team Arch appears to have managed to do a difficult job very well indeed,” Sofya nodded.

“Once we relieved the pressure on their perimeter, they did, yes,” Morgana agreed. “A lot of civilians, particularly from the basse classes, begged for and were given passage to Murias.”

“Much better prospects for them there,” Sofya agreed.

“Well, the potential’s there, yes,” Morgana replied.

“Anything from the Gorians as regards the incident?” Mage Cixi asked.

“Other than claiming it was unprovoked, no,” Morgana replied with a wry smile. “I suspect they’ve got bigger problems ahead. Falias has revolted and claimed the right to rule.”

“Hopefully the Falians will realise the consequences of meddling with other worlds,” Cixi added, getting nods of agreement from the Mages present.

“We can but hope,” Morgana agreed. “Generally they play their cards close to their chest and, although supporting the Gorian regime, rarely used their troops in raids elsewhere unless ordered to.”

“Yes, they have a reputation for being utterly ruthless in suppressing dissent though,” Julia added.

“Yes, internal guards. We’ll have to see where they go, hopefully it will be into isolation,” Sofya nodded.

“Ferrimoot will no doubt keep us apprised,” Morgana added.

“Have there been any sightings of Oonagh?” Mage Zola asked.

“Not a single one. The investigation is stalled for the moment,” Julia replied.

“Worrying,” Zola commented.

“Very,” Sofya added.

“Unfortunately, until she does act, we will have to rely on luck and so far we haven’t had any,” Julia noted.

“Hopefully whatever she has planned will fail and we ... or at least the Seers, can identify her hidden lair,” Sofya chuckled.

“We believe it will be aimed directly at Verenestra and Arwen, as they stand foremost in her pathway to regaining the throne,” Julia explained.

“Understandable,” Morgana nodded.

“However, John must also be reckoned a target.” Julia added. “Though why she believes him to be her nemesis has never been explained.”

“It may simply be that she and he will clash over what she plans for Verenestra and Arwen,” Morgana replied.

“We simply do not know,” Mage Sofya added. “We will have to be vigilant and act if necessary on a moment’s notice ... assuming we don’t get lucky.”

“Agreed,” Morgana conceded. “As his Mage I can tell you the futility of trying to prevent him from doing what he thinks is necessary.”

“I believe I have some experience with that myself,” Sofya replied with a thin smile.

“Haven’t we all,” Rowenna chuckled.

“I have need of your services, John,” Mage Zola said, changing the subject.

“I will be happy to oblige, Mage Zola,” I replied.

“We have selected a candidate, a young man abandoned by his family and left to die in a hospice,” Zola announced. “He’s of good moral character and will I believe make a good Mage. We also have Mage Agnieszka who has volunteered to be his Master.”

“He has been cured?” Simon asked.

“Yes,” Rowenna replied. “If John isn’t successful we’ll adjust his memories and set him on a new life.”

“You have no objections to this request, Mage Morgana?” Simon added.

“No, Mage Simon. It will be interesting to see if it works as, so far, John has only seen the stress switch in females,” Morgana replied.

“Very well, if there’s nothing more to discuss in this session you may begin, Mage Zola,” Simon stated, effectively ending the discussion.


Peter was going to be a problem. He’d learned to accept whatever life was going to throw at him with a degree of fatalism a Stoic would have been envious of. He’d also faced death and fought well, to the point where he felt he had nothing to fear at all.

“Not easy to stress and afraid of nothing,” I mused. “Couldn’t you find anything harder?” I finished with a chuckle.

“I have every faith in you, John,” Zola replied with a grin.

“Everything in place?” I asked.

“Yes, John. Two healing Mages and two assists to dampen down any stray discharges, plus Mage Agnieszka,” Zola replied. “Seers are observing and gathering data too.”

“Let’s see what I can do,” I nodded and began the weave.

Three hours later Peter had basically overcome anything that I’d thrown at him and I was somewhat at a loss.

“Any thoughts, my Mage?” I asked Morgana.

“Not at this stage. I’ve asked the Seers to see if they can find you an angle,” she replied, looking a little perplexed.

Ten minutes later we looked up and smiled as Simone and Dorry entered the room.

“Tough cookie, John,” Simone chuckled.

“I just can’t cause any form of stress or fear enough to cause what I see as a switch to appear,” I shrugged.

“It’s there, just buried under an awful lot of fatalistic numbness,” Simone replied after a few seconds of scanning.

“He’s allowed himself to become dead inside,” Dorry added.

“Can you free him?” Morgana asked.

“Yes, though I’d suggest a visit by Mage Benjamin before any serious training begins,” Simone replied, getting a nod from Mage Agnieszka as well.

“Benjamin is on his way,” Rowenna added.

“Let us begin then. Dorry, you observe. Morgana, you and I will form the weave and John, you get ready for the trigger event,” Simone ordered.

The weave that Simone and Morgana formed was both subtle and compelling as it slowly stripped away the layers Peter had used to protect himself. Layers that I (and Morgana) hadn’t even suspected existed. Finally I began to see some mental agitation and Simone and Morgana fixed their attention on this, causing Peter to become distressed in the waking dream as his anger and frustration grew beyond his ability to suppress them. Finally it happened, I saw the mental switch form and was able to reach in and flick it. The results were, as ever, spectacular, though, with a good few Mages around, very controllable. The young man would have incinerated himself on the spot without our aid, such was his suppressed anger and anguish.

“Thank you, Mage Simone,” I said with a profound bow of respect once things had calmed down.

“No, thank you, John, and you, Mage Zola, for an interesting challenge,” Simone replied.

“Certainly was a challenge,” Morgana added. “Benjamin may have his work cut out.”

“Benjamin will be able to restore Peter’s equilibrium and he’ll have time to recover a love of life during his training. Mage Agnieszka will be good for him in that respect,” Rowenna replied.

“Another success,” Mage Zola stated, rubbing her hands in satisfaction. “And not a Seer.”

“No, definitely not a Seer,” chuckled Simone.

“We’ll continue combing through various subjects for suitable candidates, so don’t do anything stupid, John,” chuckled Zola.

“I’ll do my best,” I replied with a grin.

“You’ll have your work cut out in about fifteen years’ time anyway.” Zola added. “Rumours have it that a couple of Council Mages are pregnant.”

“Really?” Morgana asked, eyebrow raised.

“Sofya and Rutu, so the rumour mill goes,” Zola chuckled.

“Sofya’s attitude has certainly changed a lot since Dorry’s emergence,” Morgana nodded thoughtfully.

“Yes, I suspect she’s going to give up her leadership of Amity soon. Her heart really isn’t in it anymore,” Zola added.

“I don’t believe I know her partner,” I mused.

“Mage Alexandros. She’s the senior partner in a plurality of three,” Zola replied.

“Wonder who’ll take over Amity?” I said thoughtfully.

“Hard to say. Sofya may even resign from the Council to bring up the child and then we’ll go through that silliness with the remaining Amity members trying to bring back Mage Hermes,” Morgana replied.

“The vacancy will go to one of the Bureau chiefs; most likely Maria or Tara, should Sofya resign,” Rowenna shrugged.

“Not Mage Vera?” I asked.

“Vera’s happy where she is, running her own little empire,” Morgana chuckled, seeing answering grins from the others.

“Amity no longer have the influence to place their candidate directly in the slots they want. That went when they couldn’t place Mage Fen in your post, despite dominating the Council voting system,” Rowenna added.

“I suspect they could have got in anyone other than Mage Fen,” chuckled Simone.

“Fen was most insistent. Hermes did his best, but there were some like Cixi and I who would rather have cut our arm off than vote for that spiteful vindictive woman,” Zola replied with a satisfied smile.

“Hence the embarrassing delay in appointing a new Assassin Prime,” Rowenna shook her head in wry amusement.

“Mage Hermes most definitely did not want any candidate other than an Amity Caucus one and most of us did not want it or weren’t qualified to do it,” Zola admitted.

“Fen was qualified power wise, but as an administrator and all round people person she was sadly lacking in any sort of ability or charisma,” Rowenna chuckled. “The only thing she had going for her was the fact she was Hermes lover.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.