Magician
Chapter 97

Copyright© 2014 by QM

“The planes can’t get near them, Mage Morgana,” Seer Simone stated as our war council met.

“Not even if we Null the bombs and missiles?” Morgana quizzed mildly, as I suspected she already knew the answer.

“Not even then; it’s like the ice shield they used in the Channel,” Simone replied.

“They’re even vibrating the ground to set off any anti-personnel devices we might use,” Arch added looking rather soiled from his and Jemima’s scouting mission to observe the Daoine Sidhe army’s advance.

“There are a large number of Daoine Sidhe within the group whose primary purpose is to maintain their screen and other defensive measures,” Jemima added. “It’s very effective for them, particularly as we haven’t done much more than pin pricks on them.”

“How many do they outnumber us by?” William asked.

“Almost five to one,” Simone replied.

“I suggest here.” Gindo added, pointing to a large scale map.

“The river won’t stop them, the action in the channel proved that,” Morgana stated with a frown.

“It’s one more thing for them to worry about,” Gindo replied. “The land around is ... or will be swampy, the trees and rocks will break up their formation and we can construct a fort quickly enough that they do not dare ignore.”

“Several forts,” Arch murmured. “Here, here and here; all supporting each other, with a mobile force to deal with any breakthroughs.”

“Yes, whilst we prepare your forces to hit them from here,” Gindo said to William, pointing at a spot on the map which would permit the Verenestran Sidhe to hit Oonagh’s army from the rear.

“Just have to keep them from noticing us,” Arch added.

‘We can do this, ‘ piped Maurice the Maraú-Uxuí. ‘It is a speciality of ours.’

“Thank you, Maurice. Your contribution is appreciated,” Morgana nodded.

“My forces are not suited to fighting in enclosed spaces, but we are prepared to set ambushes and become a distraction whilst you build and also keep them on their guard as they surround you,” buzzed Chinc’lithss of the Veda contingent.

“Your weaponry will give them pause, I believe,” chuckled William.

“We believe so,” buzzed Chinc’lithss placing his four appendages in the form of tolerant humour.

“Alpha Jacob has placed a howl of requirement ... a call to arms as it were to the clans. So far we have over five hundred volunteers to take to the field, the largest gathering of my people ever,” Marja announced.

“Who will lead?” Morgana asked.

“Leonova. Her clan is disliked by all, save mine, but disliked a lot less than others. All have sworn to obey,” Marja replied. “She’s requested my help in the planning.”

“A good tactician and a smart move,” I murmured, getting nods and other acknowledgements from the meeting.

“Richard, as Țepeș Ambrogio, has called upon the Drăculești Carpe Noctum Confederation to supply Kyresi, numbers are low however,” Nell admitted.

“He may use us as a threat if necessary. I will not be pleased to hear his authority is being challenged at all,” Morgana stated, getting a delighted smile from Nell.

“Thank you, friend Morgana. That I’m almost certain will suffice,” Nell replied. “We are pretty sure the problem is the other Țepeș’, not the clan members who seem to be in favour of fighting.”

“What are friends for?” chuckled Morgana. “Now, please pass on the message, the Nosferatu night guard is an invaluable part of our plans.”

“Of course, friend Morgana,” Nell replied and hurried out.

“Loegria will be sending all its special forces to assist, Mage Morgana,” Dorry, sitting to the side of Gindo, announced.

“Our thanks to Olmer,” Morgana replied.

“Rutasi will be sending its elite imperial guard for this, Mage Morgana,” announced Hector, representing the Rutasi god-emperor.

“We are honoured,” Morgana said graciously as it was well known the Rutasi had issues even admitting other Earths existed.

“They are the only forces we have that know you exist,” Hector admitted, looking slightly embarrassed.

“It will be enough to know you sent your very best,” Morgana replied.

“Thank you, Mage Morgana. This is most gracious of you,” Hector replied looking relieved.

“The Azurani will stand with the alliance,” Hinnit confirmed.

“There are no Nephilim with the Daoine Sidhe army,” Simone added.

“Bigger fools them. My people are better at tactical situations, despite their misguided fanaticism.” Hinnit chuckled.

Plans were formulated, rejected and revised before orders were given out and the Mages of earth were teleported into the chosen area to prepare the forts, strongpoints and flooding of the land in preparation for the coming battle.


“You realise they can just use their powers to flatten all this?” Róisín stated as we used our minds to create a crisscross of intersecting ditches and canals.

“With nearly a thousand Mages available to stop them getting creative?” I asked in return.

“Ah ... I should have thought of that,” she giggled, as she buried a waterproofed Null amulet deep into the earth.

“They do have numbers and the Daoine Sidhe are dangerous, but the average Sidhe isn’t that good compared to a well-trained Mage of Earth,” I added.

“Well, the Bureaus are sending their best as well as the Æsir and the Veda,” Róisín nodded.

“Yes, the Murians would, but they simply don’t have the numbers yet,” I replied.

“Are they getting pressured from Gorias still?” Róisín asked.

“No, the Tuathans as such are currently still fighting a civil war. They’ve abandoned Finias, even though there are still Tuathans there. Still, their loyalty is more and more towards Murias as Ferrimoot’s people aid them as and when they can,” I replied. “It’s more that their society is based around what Mages can do in the way of building, transport and repair.”

“Ah, not enough of them?” Róisín acknowledged.

“No, they’re run off their feet as most of their number stayed with the Gorians,” I replied.

“Don’t the Æsir help via Freya?” she asked.

“Only from Freya’s house dróttina; though a few Seiðmaðr have moved across to settle and are pitching in,” I replied as we allowed the water table to rise and flood the ground.

Róisín and I then floated over the surface towards where the Bureau staffs were building three forts to protect the defenders from directed arrow and gun fire. It was the usual box type construction although the Mages were using modern composites rather than dirt sides and fusing all into one contiguous whole. At each corner Mages were mounting mini-guns and were also setting up the heavy 50-cals along the parapet. In the triangle between each fort walls were being set up to house the mobile force and give it secure shelter, a series of barracks were also being constructed to house the various races.

“It looks impressive.” Róisín noted.

“That it does,” I agreed. “And, they can’t ignore it either. We’d sally out and attack their rear if they did.”

“They could leave a guarding force,” she demurred.

“Not one big enough that wouldn’t leave the rest exposed to William’s forces,” I replied.

“Ah, so we’ve basically set up a position that they have to attack come what may?” she asked.

“Yes, hopefully it’s damned if they do, and damned if they don’t. We’re placing a lot of trust in our understanding of their basic psychology in that they have great difficulty turning down a challenge, particularly if it’s from what they see as lesser races,” I chuckled.

“Yes, they’ve never beaten us, but they do have that whole superiority thing going for them,” she replied with a grin.

“We have a special reason for wanting to rid ourselves of them this time too. They’re being led by the Daoine Sidhe Diamantu.” I replied as we were approached by a sole Mage. “Greetings Mage Clara.”

“Greetings journeyman Mage John. So it’s true?” Clara asked.

“Yes, the Veda have confirmed it,” I replied as Róisín added her greeting.

“I was ordered to report to you for inclusion in your squad,” Clara replied after acknowledging Róisín.

“You are most welcome. We tend to be used for the lighter duties, although we do have a somewhat bloodthirsty Seer working for us now,” I chuckled observing the still haunted look in Clara’s eyes.

“Best not let Adsila hear you say that, John,” chuckled Róisín.

“She’s a Seer I’d lay odds she was listening anyway,” I replied with a grin.

‘Oh yes, ‘ came a mental chuckle from Adsila.

“I’m here for closure,” Clara stated.

“We’ll attempt to give you it,” I replied, also getting a nod from Róisín. “Now come let me introduce you to the other members of my squad.”


Work carried on apace with the forts as the army of the Sidhe approached, though rather than their usual headlong pace, they moved in fits and starts due to the actions of Chinc’lithss and his Veda contingent as they used a series of very lethal magical attacks to take down supplies and stragglers as getting near the army without some heavy protection was difficult and getting away once you’d struck, nigh on impossible. Still it did mean that the Sidhe could only approach as their re-supply allowed and what we thought might be days before they got to us, turned into over two weeks.


It was an impressive sight when they finally reached us. Our armour, including that of our allies, was strictly functional and designed to blend in to any surroundings, save for the wolves who basically wore anything they wanted to. But the Sidhe were ... dazzling, it’s really the only word that fitted. Gleaming adamantium armour glowing in various shades due to the spells woven into it, silken banners and prancing steeds.

“Impressive,” murmured Morgana as she observed them from the parapet of the fort nearest to them.

“Pretty too,” giggled Róisín.

“I meant those adamantium shields they have floating in that complex pattern over them and to their sides to protect them from our air and long range attacks, but yes, they are pretty,” Morgana chuckled.

“Our artillery is ranged in, but will be useless unless we can bring that down,” I added.

“If we win, it will come down sooner or later,” Morgana replied.

“If,” I noted.

“Yes, I doubt they’ll be stupid here,” Morgana nodded. “Plus we’ll have to wait until William is in position to take advantage of any weakening we can do.”

“Oh look, they want to parlay,” I chuckled.

“Bloody show-offs,” Morgana sighed. “Get Simone, Dorry, Leonova, Hinnit and Freya and let’s go see what Diamantu wants, though he’s probably only here to boast.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.