Magician - Cover

Magician

Copyright© 2014 by QM

Chapter 81

Simon had called a meeting of the Council to discuss with our allies where best to prosecute the war against the Nephilim and Daoine Sidhe. It had been a freewheeling debate and at times quite acrimonious, although our allies didn’t seem to mind too much as the Council hadn’t shown itself up to any extent. Towards the end of the debate, there was silence as the Council members and our various allies contemplated the plans before us for the invasion of the Outer Realms.

“Much as it pains me to admit it, it looks like we have to cleanse Azurana first,” Morgana stated into the silence.

“Whilst leaving us open to a stab in the back from Tír na nÓg,” Mage Cixi added.

“Indeed,” Simon said gravely. “Yet if we do not destroy their source of regenerative power, they’d simply come back at a later stage and it would be far more difficult to attack them if they still resided in Azurana, next to their source.”

“It would also relieve the pressure on the other worlds where the Nephilim are causing issues including the Tuathan ones,” Julia added.

“The Mazdani moved into Finias last week and are now attacking the Nephilim,” Morgana stated. “So far they haven’t found many surviving Tuathans.”

“It’s a big planet,” Cixi noted.

“And deliberate genocide,” Julia noted.

“They used John’s de-oxygenating method on any towns and cities they surrounded. The Tuathan’s didn’t stand a chance, same with a lot of their armies,” Morgana added. “We’ve given them the advanced shield method ... the Mazdani too.”

“How are Falias and Gorias managing?” Mage Zola asked.

“Stabilised is about as kindly as I can put it,” Julia replied. “There are a lot of refugees from Finias when it became obvious that the world could not hold, they’re still demanding help though, rather than asking.”

“Good job their population is nowhere near as massive as Earth’s,” Morgana added.

“It was half a billion spread over the four Tuathan worlds,” Julia noted. “Now, with Murias independent and the loss of Finias, we put their population at less than half that. But they are at least consolidating their defences now, rather than their stupid attack, attack, attack at all costs methodology.”

“The killing off of their top leadership in a coup probably helped,” Cixi chuckled ruefully at the Tuathan political process.

“Undoubtedly,” Julia replied with a wry smile.

“At least they are the focus of the Nephilim’s strategy rather than the other Earths,” Morgana noted.

“Yes, they are putting all their efforts into the conquest, although the Mazdani incursion has them reeling in retreat,” Julia replied.

“Something to be thankful for,” sighed Morgana.

A vote was then called on the plan of action proposed, which was passed without any dissent.

“Mage Morgana, your team will further develop, prepare and carry out the plan to wrest control of Azurana from the Nephilim and Daoine Sidhe. This includes destruction of the two known gates, the destruction if possible of the Daoine Sidhe energy source and the elimination of the Nephilim Malakha and Caddiysh leadership,” Simon stated.

“Yes, Mage Simon,” Morgana replied with her assent.

“Additional resources will be put at your disposal, including the forbidden lore if necessary as per my office of Senex veneficus penitus orbis,” Simon added to the shock of many in the chamber.

“I truly hope it does not come to that, Mage Simon,” Morgana demurred.

“As do we all,” Simon replied getting nods from those Mages assembled. “This session is now closed.”

‘With me, John. We have much to do and it will start with a visit to Azurana to visit Jeeval,” Morgana stated.

“Yes, my Mage,” I replied, keeping any questions I had until we were in private.

Morgana also collected Mergna and Hinnit en-route to her office where we were met by Arch and Morgana’s new second in command, Mage Rinku.

“Game on?” Arch asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Game on,” I replied for Morgana.

“Mergna, we’ll need to speak to Jeeval and the other resistance leaders if we’re to formulate a series of surgical strikes to take out the Nephilim leadership,” Morgana requested.

“Of course, Morgana. I’ll get Jerhz to arrange it on his next visit,” Mergna replied with a nod of her head.

“Hinnit, can you have your fighting bands ready to start mass evacuations when we go in, forced if necessary?” Morgana asked.

“I can, however, I have no idea where we’ll put them,” he replied thoughtfully.

“We’re preparing tent cities and food supplies on New Azurana,” Morgana added. “I realise it will be hard for them, but frankly we’re running out of time, particularly with regards to the Daoine Sidhe.”

“Oonagh is planning another attack?” Hinnit asked, looking worried.

“No, but the blight that the Daoine Sidhe are causing is affecting areas that Queen Titania now holds and they do not know if the planet will recover,” Morgana replied.

“Is this deliberate?” Mergna asked.

“We think so. They cannot detect Titania or Verenestra’s strongholds, but they have a fair idea of the areas they are operating in. They’re also developing a new type of armour which is non-magical in nature to defend against Null bullets,” Morgana answered.

“Successfully?” Hinnit asked.

“Not yet, but as we’ve ... or rather John and Arch, have succeeded in developing it. You can be sure it is possible and they will manage sooner, rather than later,” Morgana replied.

“They’re pretty good with armour anyway,” I added.

“Yes, that adamantine stuff is very good when magically enhanced,” Hinnit agreed.

“Not so good when impacted just right though,” Arch chuckled.

“That too, but we’ll have to see what they can come up with,” Hinnit noted.

“Won’t be like ours I expect. We use some refined techniques to make a very hard, very light material that takes a direct impact and diverts the force sideways. Add some padding and a few layers and it’s bullet proof against most small arms, Nulled or not,” I explained, though not mentioning that it was a Loegrian designed and manufactured metal we used.

“Could we get some?” Mergna asked.

“Yes, we’re setting up a production run now. I suggest you decide which of your units need it most,” Morgana replied.

“What of our allies?” Hinnit asked.

“We don’t intend to use them on Azurana, well, not the non-Mages anyway, too much chance of them going insane,” Morgana replied.

“Yes, our fighting bands are at least used to it,” Mergna agreed.

“We’ll be using them to shepherd your people to portals we’ll have ready to get them to safety,” Morgana explained. “Our Mages will be going after the leadership and disrupting communications. Unfortunately, only our Seers can destroy the objects of power that the Daoine Sidhe have made the gates into. So a special team is being assembled to get them to the gates and also for them to scan for the location of the source of the Daoine Sidhe power.”

“Risking your Seers?” Mergna asked with a frown.

“Needs must and no one else can do it,” Morgana sighed.

“I’ll instruct my own personal guard to protect them, with their lives if necessary, Mage Morgana,” Hinnit offered.

“Thank you, Hinnit. It’s appreciated. We’ll beef them up with our Mages as well,” Morgana replied with a smile of relief.

“What happens when they detect the power source?” Mergna asked.

“Then Mage Arch leads his team in to destroy it,” Morgana replied.

“I can think of a few issues there, more to do with can it be destroyed?” Mergna queried.

“Null,” said Morgana by way of explanation.

“Big Null,” I added with a grin.

“Big enough to tear the fabric of that world open and expose its workings to the denizens of the Outer Realms,” Morgana finished.

“No wonder you want the people out,” Mergna said wide eyed.

“That we do, we doubt it will kill off the Daoine Sidhe, but it will make them vulnerable and stop the blight ... we hope,” Morgana added.


The following day, having been contacted by Jerhz, Morgana and I portalled to Azurana near the town of Zudraj and were met by a sanctum of women led by Teali, an Azuran well known to us.

“Mages,” she greeted us respectfully.

“Teali,” we replied.

“How goes your work?” I added.

“So, so,” she replied. “The Malakha have almost withdrawn from the land, but have cracked down hard in the towns and villages.”

“So, if the people can get out... ?” Morgana asked.

“We can now easily get them to safety,” Teali replied with a nod.

“Should make our job a little easier,” I murmured.

“We can but hope,” Morgana replied. “Lead on please, Teali; you know where we’re going.”

Teali’s sanctum spread out around us and led us in the direction of Zudraj. All were constantly on alert despite Teali’s claim of few Malakha being in the countryside and impressed me with their professionalism. Zudraj itself looked grimmer than ever once we had it in sight; the once clean streets were clogged with refuse and the few people about kept their gazes to themselves. At every street corner armed Caddiysh stood along with a Malakha, usually one of limited power. We saw several citizens accosted and roughly searched, any amulets or charms they wore including jewellery seized and held until the Malakha could scan them. Thanks to Morgana they ignored us as to them we were simply a town patrol, but the situation for the decent Azurans looked bad.

“Welcome, Mages,” a tired looking Jeeval greeted us.

“Greetings, Jeeval,” Morgana replied. “Things appear worse. How are your people coping?”

“About at the end of their ability to cope,” she sighed.

“We intend to pull out all who wish to leave in a series of actions within four megabeats (24 days Azuran time, roughly 200 days normal Earth time),” Morgana replied handing over a sheaf of notes written in Azuran.

“Thanks be,” Jeeval replied tears forming in her eyes. “Knowing that we can go, we can hang on that long.”

“Plans are to breach the town and village walls,” Morgana explained. “The populace will need to be ready to move on a moment’s notice. Hinnit’s sanctums will be waiting, along with our Mages, to protect them and take them through the portals. Most will go to New Azurana, but some of our allies will have camps set up on their worlds to feed and house your people temporarily until New Azurana can cope.”

‘Not a great deal of time,” Jeeval mused. “But we’ll be ready.”

“Only your most trusted should know where the breaches will be. Try to take out as many Caddiysh and Malakha as you can on the day,” Morgana added. “We’ll be dealing with the leadership in Lorkhan so you’ll only have low level scum to deal with.”

“We have plans in place for a last desperate revolt,” Jeeval admitted. “We’ll dust them off and adapt them to getting the people out. I doubt it will be easy and some may not come no matter what, but we’ll try.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.