Magician - Cover

Magician

Copyright© 2014 by QM

Chapter 74

There was the usual dull roar of activity in the Council chamber as deals were made for support, gossip exchanged and insults traded. I was minded of a statement Morgana had once made about wondering how anything got done. Yet it did, Mages might be contrary, argumentative and plain pig-headed at times, but, there were always ways and means of getting things done, often despite the Council, rather than because of it. There’s a maxim that goes, ‘it’s better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission’; the Council exemplified that in spades. That’s pretty much why each office had a great deal of autonomy which had now filtered down to the various Bureaus. However this could also mean a lot of trouble if two offices were at loggerheads with each other, as witness the debacle when Morgana sought to end the Coalition once and for all in the Soviet Union and the Interrogation Office decided that she was the problem, not the Coalition.

“Mage Morgana, you have a proposal?” Simon announced when it became apparent most of the Council were simply going to ignore him during business as normal.

“Our interrogation of Mage Constable produced several locations where the leadership of the Coalition live or meet,” Morgana announced as the noise in the chamber settled down on her announcement being made. “As the Coalition is unaware that we have Constable alive, it’s my proposal that we assemble a team for a surgical strike at the Coalition’s leadership. We have also gained information as to where they will be holding their conclave at the beginning of January.”

“Is it your belief that we can capture them alive?” Mage Cixi asked.

“Alive, dead, it matters not. They must pay for September 11th,” Morgana replied.

“We are not barbarians. We are better than that,” Mage Fen, a once ally of Hermes, interjected.

“In this I must beg to differ, Mage Fen,” Julia replied. “A strong response is called for. They’ve gone too far.”

“I’m forced to agree,” Mage Zola added. “The status quo where individuals took on individuals in a game of cat and mouse no longer holds. They struck at us directly, murdered many and they must pay.”

“Yet to kill them in cold blood...” Mage Fen began.

“Seventy one Mages, including three Seers,” Morgana interjected. “Is that not hot-blooded enough a reason?”

“You’ve taken down enough of them yourself recently, Mage Morgana,” Fen replied, her voice bristling with disdain.

“A lot have been rehabilitated, the majority in fact. Those that are left will be examined by Interrogation and decisions made. However in the heat of the moment, I and my people will not hold back simply because some Mages’ sensitivities may be offended,” Morgana stated.

“Well said,” murmured Julia.

“Mage Hermes was right, you are a barbarian!” Fen spat back.

“And where is Hermes now?” Morgana replied. “If he’d been just a little more concerned with the Coalition rather than peddling his prejudices he’d still be a member of this Council.”

“Agreed,” Mage Cixi added. “Mage Morgana proposes that we take out the Coalition; she will also not hold back when we go in. This strikes me as being wise. We should give no mercy, as you can be sure we shall receive none.”

“I also agree,” Mage Zola stated. “We should not hamstring those who will fight for us with petty imprecations about not harming our enemies when they do. I’m sure Mage Morgana’s people will attempt to take prisoners, however I rather doubt Elymas, Merlin or Edward will go down easily and will attempt to kill all who come against them,” she added, getting nods from many Mages present.

“We would indeed try to take prisoners, although my staff will be instructed not to take undue risks,” Morgana replied.

“Nor would I expect anything else from you, Mage Morgana,” Cixi agreed.

“It is proposed that the Enforcement Office directly attacks the Coalition when they have their annual conclave,” Simon announced. “Seconded?”

“I second the proposal,” Mage Zola announced just ahead of Julia and Cixi.

‘Vote is eighteen for, one against and one abstention,” Simon announced. “Mage Morgana, please continue to formulate your plans and good luck.”

“Thank you, Mage Simon,” Morgana responded. “Mages Amehlo, Roxanne, Maria, Tara, Helen and Liang, could you join me in my office? We have much to discuss.”

I followed Morgana out along with the Bureau heads to her office, alerting Thea and Arch that we were on our way. Once inside I sorted out a list of refreshments and went to prepare them assisted by Róisín.

“Nice to see you doing something useful for a change, John,” chuckled Roxanne when I came back with a tray laden with pastries and hot drinks.

“It’s only so I can keep track of the poisoned muffin, Mage Roxanne,” I chuckled in reply.

“Heh, you’ll not get me that way, young man,” Roxanne replied with a grin picking up the only muffin on the tray.

“Behave, you two,” Morgana interjected with a smile. “I asked you all here as I’ll need your help in a similar manner to that in which we cooperated on ridding the Soviet Union of the Coalition.”

“You need but ask, Mage Morgana,” a relaxed looking Maria replied. “Most of my enforcers are baying for blood.”

“Aye, same with us in Europe,” Roxanne added.

The rest of the Mages nodded, particularly Mage Helen who still looked haunted by the losses her Bureau had suffered.

“I would ask a favour...” she began.

“North America can lead the first assault,” Morgana interjected. “You have my word.”

“Thank you, Mage Morgana. I’m still getting used to this and finding my way and wasn’t sure how to propose my request,” Helen replied.

“We’ll all help; do not worry,” Mage Liang spoke for all.

“One thing I won’t permit is North America guarding any prisoners however,” Morgana added.

“I understand and agree completely,” Helen replied. “Too much chance of an unfortunate incident.”

“Agreed,” Morgana nodded. “There are those such as Mage Fen who will leap upon any such incidents to try and reduce the amount of power she sees slipping from the Council to the Bureaus. Some of those who voted for the measures will be hoping likewise.”

“We understand, Mage Morgana,” Mage Amehlo voiced everyone’s opinion.

“Where is this meeting taking place? Iran?” Mage Tara asked.

“No, Vanuatu of all places; somewhere called Port Vila,” Morgana replied.

“Never heard of it,” Mage Helen said.

“I suspect that’s why they’ll be there. It’s not like we’d ever look, as we normally associate the Coalition with creature comforts,” Morgana added getting nods from around the table.

“I thought they didn’t decide these things until the day before, my Mage?” I asked.

“Apparently this one’s crucial as they are in serious trouble with their lower ranks over September 11th,” Morgana acknowledged.

“They tolerated rape camps but not flying planes into buildings?” Mage Helen asked with a wry look on her face.

“That we didn’t start executing them on the spot after that surprised them. I suspect with them it’s to do with self-preservation and the hope that somehow they can offer us a sop or sacrificial lamb,” Morgana replied. “As it is, they’ll be taking over a very large estate on the main island near Port Vila itself.”

“Isolated?” Mage Liang asked.

“Yes,” Morgana replied with a predatory grin.

“Trap?” asked Mage Tara.

“I believe not, our source in the Coalition believes them to be rattled, not conspiring,” Morgana noted.

“We’ll make a ‘go-to-hell’ plan anyway,” Mage Roxanne said into the silence getting nods off all the Mages present.

“Rules of engagement?” Mage Helen asked.

“Prisoners are only to be taken if they can be safely secured and removed. Err on the side of caution if necessary,” Morgana stated.

“What of your source?” a frowning Mage Amehlo asked.

“He’s aware of the risk, but feels it’s worth it,” Morgana replied.

“A brave man,” Mage Liang noted. “Shall we plan?”

“Aye, let’s plan,” Roxanne stated.


Plans were made and remade over the next few weeks. Morgana used her mind to construct a direct replica of the large villa the Coalition were planning to use. The elite of the Bureaus’ enforcers as well as the enforcement office staff practiced taking and retaking the place.

“It’s going to be warded to hell as well,” gasped an exhausted Mage Arch after a particularly gruelling practice assault had gone badly wrong for his team again.

“Got a plan for that,” I announced as I sat down beside him.

“Better bloody work, John. We won’t get close enough to make a Null ward work effectively before they can escape,” he said.

“Don’t need a Null ward, we just need to break any wards as well as outward ports,” I said calmly.

“OK, clever clogs. What have you got planned?” Arch asked.

“I’m going to set off an earthquake,” I replied straight-faced.

“Ye Gods! Morgana will kill you, with or without Council permission,” a shocked Arch replied.

“There may be casualties and damage, but no deaths, the Seers will make sure of that,” I added. “Morgana has also set aside money for the relief fund that will be set up afterwards.”

“God, you’d better be right, John. The Council takes a bloody dim view on Mages setting off tectonic reactions,” Arch warned.

“Morgana spoke with Simon, Rowenna, Julia and Cixi over it,” I replied. “They refused to allow her to set it off, so I offered instead as I’m a bit more expendable. No deaths and it will be forgiven. It has the advantage of the shockwave disrupting the wards; the Seers will then drop in an anti-teleport screen and block any attempt to form new wards and we’ll go in ‘guns ablazing’.”

“All a matter of timing then,” Arch stated, shaking his head slightly at the audacity of the plan.

“Yep, so we need to be ready,” I chuckled as we heaved ourselves to our feet to re-assemble the team and attempt to take the villa again.


“Is everything ready?” Simon asked Morgana in her office along with the six Bureau heads on January 1st 2002.

“In so far as our plans go, yes,” Morgana replied confidently.

“Estimated casualties?” he asked.

“As high as 30%,” Morgana replied. “Theirs could be up to 100% if they choose to go down fighting.”

“That might be preferable,” Simon mused. “I suspect that some of the Mages in the Council who have expressed reservations on the mission will be all too keen to extract retribution on the wings of success.”

“I trust Mages Vera and Cixi to prevent that,” Morgana replied.

“They are subject to Council demands, as are you,” Simon sighed.

“Would they have a two thirds majority?” Morgana asked, her eyes narrowing.

“If our casualties are high, possibly yes,” Simon confirmed.

“Best hope that they are low then,” Morgana muttered in disgust.


Julia’s Seer group had the villa under constant observation and were attempting to ascertain when all the Coalition who were turning up had arrived. All enforcement staff tasked to the mission were primed and ready, simply waiting for the ‘go’ signal from the Seers. Finally at 17:20 local time Seer Simone contacted me and I delved deep within the New Hebrides trench looking to accelerate the subduction area of the two tectonic plates near Efate, the island Port Vila was built upon. At 17:22 local time the plates slid and an earthquake occurred, a lot more powerful than I’d intended, almost 7.2 on the Richter Scale and it was accompanied by a tsunami. In this, the Asia West Seers stepped in to cause the locals to immediately run to the hills and there were no casualties. There were several injuries as well as building damage, more from ground liquefaction, still for a first (and only) attempt, I’d managed to get away with it.

Julia’s Seers group had gone into action as soon as the earthquake had rocked the villa and had destroyed the fallen Coalition wards as well as putting down a total teleport and portal block. As soon as this was done the North American teams moved in on the villa in an attempt to take the Coalition down hard.

‘We’ll need assistance, ‘ came a telepathic call from Mage Helen, ‘Their guards are armed to the teeth and have several of my teams pinned down both magically and with firearms.’

“Arch, we expected this, go with plan kappa and take out the side of the villa with RPG’s before advancing on their flank,” Morgana commanded.

“Yes, Morgana,” Arch replied before summoning his team which included me as well as some of the Enforcement Office’s heavy hitting Mages. He led us in a wide sweep of the perimeter until we reached the spot where we turned and advanced on the villa.

Reaching into a pocket universe I produced three modified RPG warheads all of which now had a basic Null ward bonded to their casing. Looking over to the villa, I could see the Coalition giving a good account of themselves. From a magical perspective it was lit up like a Christmas tree as the Seers fought to hold their screens and the American Mages attacked individual Coalition guards outside the perimeter.

“On my mark,” Arch commanded as I, Mage Nisha and Mage Rinku raised the RPG’s and aimed them at the outer wall of the villa. “Activate Null, three, two, one, mark!”

Our aim was true and the grenades punched through the local shields maintained by the Coalition guards to destroy the outer wall killing several Coalition guards in the process.

“Advance,” Arch commanded. “Have Null bullets prepared but not activated.”

We ran forward keeping low until we were spotted and came under massed hellfire from the upper floor of the villa. Relying on the team to keep me shielded I pulled out my bushmaster rifle and Nulled up a bullet then used the scope to pick out a target. The rifle barked out its round and the hellfire dropped instantaneously as we all ran to cover at the base of the destroyed wall.

“Think you got him, John?” Arch asked.

“Yep, or he’s badly wounded and out of the fight until they remove the bullet,” I replied.

Mage Nisha had meanwhile pulled out her own rifle and was looking for a target. Her rifle swept in an arc until suddenly it moved smoothly up and barked out another shot felling a Mage at one of the outbuildings.

“Good shot,” I congratulated her.

“Ten years ago I’d never have dreamed of using a gun,” she replied with a grin. “Now I have to think why not to use it.”

“Bloody brilliant idea with the Null bullets,” Arch opined as he sent a lightning bolt looping on top of the wall that the American Mages were trying to force, killing at least two Coalition Mages and allowing ours to advance up to the wall.

“One shot wonders,” I chuckled.

“Yep, but at the right place at the right time, unstoppable,” Arch replied with a grin.

There was a loud ‘crump’ and the front facing wall of the villa collapsed allowing the American Mages to race towards one of the outbuildings which would give them cover from the Coalition Mages in the villa. As they did so we unleashed a barrage of spells at the front where they could be seen which didn’t do much damage, but kept the Coalition’s heads down for a few seconds.

‘Perimeter breached, ‘ Arch sent out.

‘Keep them busy. I’m bringing up the heavies, ‘ Morgana sent back.

There was a sudden flicker and an intense energy beam lanced down from the heavens to stab into the villa.

“Seers are getting theirs,” I chuckled.

“Yes, Morgana had to forbid them from coming here physically,” Mage Rinku replied with a grin.

“I’m amazed she managed,” Arch chuckled. “It’s not like Julia has a lot of luck telling them what to do.”

“She refused to sanction the mission if they came,” Rinku replied.

“That’d do it,” I chuckled.

There was another series of explosions at the other perimeters as the European, South American, Asian and African teams surged up to ensure that nothing was getting out on foot. We were joined by Mage Tara and her team, some of whom I’d met whilst working with Arch in Kashmir.

“Good work on the wall. It seriously distracted the Coalition hammering the American Mages,” Tara said when she’d got her team under cover as a slight lull had come over the skirmish.

“Yep, I think they’d have made it, but it would have been costly,” Arch replied as we waited for instructions. “Think we have them trapped now.”

“I reckon they know, but will try and cost us heavily whilst looking for a way out for their top three at least,” Mage Tara replied thoughtfully.

“Hostages,” I stated. “They’ll try to take hostages.”

“It’s what I’d do if I were them,” Arch confirmed. “Probably their only chance.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.