Magician
Chapter 30

Copyright© 2014 by QM

Back in London we were met by Mage Henry and a security team which included two healing Mages. One, Mage Imelda, I knew well and who quickly checked Johann over clucking her tongue in disapproval at the condition he was in.

"Werewolf bite, so you may need to check for infection if he has the gene, Mage Imelda," I told her.

"Thank you, John. We'll make sure he's fine and available for questioning as soon as possible," Mage Imelda replied.

"Can you send a team to check this dwelling, Mage Henry?" asked Roxanne. "Please liaise with Mage Ludmilla here who is in charge of our Warsaw office."

"Of course, Mage Roxanne. I'll also contact Enforcement via Mage Thomas to request an investigative team too," he replied.

"Thank you Henry, I don't know if Pawel and Johann were acting alone or simply just colluding with the Nephilim, but I somehow doubt it. Ludmilla here has informed us that several raids the Warsaw office made might have been false flag operations designed to aid the Coalition all too well," Roxanne stated.

"From what Johann said, he was using Pawel to further the Nephilim cause, but I suspect Pawel was Coalition to the core," I added.

"Seems likely, but let's not jump to conclusions, John," Roxanne admonished mildly.

"Of course, Mage Roxanne," I replied.

"Oh Henry, I want your team to check out the physical defences of Johann's dach. The narcotic he used on us was so quick that neither Ludmilla nor I stood a chance to react to it. It may come in handy for taking down errant Mages," Roxanne added.

"Of course, Mage Roxanne," he replied as the medical Mages levitated Johann off the floor and began transporting him to a warded cell.

"Now comes the hard part," sighed Roxanne.

"Hard part?" I asked.

"Follow me, John. Morgana is in the building and wants an explanation of our actions. You too, Mage Ludmilla please," Roxanne replied.

The debriefing was every bit as unpleasant as Roxanne intimated. Morgana took our every move to pieces and was very critical over our 'hubris' in assuming we were capable of dealing with a possible Coalition sting operation. She did however confirm Mage Ludmilla in her new post as section chief of the Warsaw office, Polish region.

"All's well that ends well, I suppose," she said at the end of the debriefing. "Although I suspect I'll have to be careful about lending John to any section; he seems to have a knack of leading almost anyone astray," she finished off with a sly smile in my direction.

"I believe if we'd stuck to John and Jacob we'd have been fine ourselves, Mage Morgana," said a slightly blushing Roxanne. "The narcotic used was very potent and could be useful to us, assuming we can get hold of some."

"Yes, Johann Dippel was acknowledged as an expert on chemistry or alchemy as it was known back then. Unfortunately his predilection for necromancy put him on the wrong side of the Council, mostly due to the grave robbing scandals drawing attention to Mages and so he sought allies elsewhere," Morgana sighed.

"I accept full responsibility for my folly in assuming we were capable of dealing with the matter," Roxanne said quietly.

"Normally I'd expect better of you my friend, but add John here into the mix and I suspect even Mage Geoffrey would have been tempted," Morgana chuckled.

"I have a reputation to maintain," I replied with a grin.

"You also have the devil's own luck too. As it is, the Zielona Gora Lycana have agreed to scout out any Nephilim intrusions in their hunting range, are encouraging other Clans to do the same and seem rather fond of you, John," Morgana replied.

"Glory hound," muttered Roxanne trying to conceal a grin of her own, Ludmilla not even trying hide hers.

"Dippel also confirmed Irin is not the god of the Nephilim, or rather not their guiding force," I added.

"Did he say who was?" Morgana asked.

"Sadly no, he attacked me and fell foul of Alpha Jacob," I replied.

"Damn, but it does confirm your original premise that Irin is not in charge as such," Morgana mused.

"Would have preferred a name my Mage, but I'm still betting that the high Sidhe somehow managed to stave off annihilation," I responded.

"As good a theory as any, John. At least it's consistent with what few facts we know from Jerhz and Mergna," Morgana replied.

"The return of Queen Oonagh?" asked Roxanne. "I thought that was simply a Sidhe myth."

"So did I, until the return of the Nephilim," Morgana replied.

"Would it be worth seeing Oberon or Titania about these myths?" I asked.

"I can't imagine that they'd give us an honest answer," sighed Roxanne.

"Oberon was forthcoming over the problems they faced last we spoke," I added.

"They've also been very quiet lately ... perhaps too quiet," Roxanne added.

"I'll need to think on this," Morgana finally spoke. "Perhaps it's time we spoke to Oberon and Titania again, I just hope it doesn't cause them too many problems to be seen talking to us."

"I'd be willing to volunteer, Morgana," said Roxanne.

"I'll consider that too, though as you'll have John with you and he upset them greatly the last time he was there, it's shading to a definite maybe," Morgana finished with a smile.

We were just leaving, Ludmilla to return to Warsaw, Roxanne to her section to rattle some cages on Dippel when Morgana called me back.

"First things first, Róisín sends her love," Morgana chuckled. "She's doing well; she certainly isn't as lethal as you were, thank God. Though I doubt she'll ever have the sheer raw power you bring to everything you try; nor does she see the pattern within as quickly and thoroughly as you did."

"She has her own strengths, my Mage. Please return my love to her," I replied.

"I will. Now as to the visit to Tír na nÓg, I rather doubt that Roxanne will gain access to the courts without recourse to violence. Fear is the main key to getting the Sidhe hierarchy to even acknowledge your existence. That said even if she does manage to gain an interview I very much doubt the truth ... whatever that may be, will be on the agenda," she stated.

"So are we wasting our time?" I asked curiously.

"Normally I'd say yes, but with you in the mix that's now a maybe which is why I'm going to allow the visit," Morgana said with a slight smile.

"Do you wish me to stir things up?" I asked.

"Would it make a difference if I didn't?" she asked with a grin.

"Of course, my Mage, I am as ever obedient to your commands," I replied.

"Impressive, you actually kept a straight face when you said that," she laughed. "No, John, there's no point in telling you to behave. The Sidhe simply will not allow a peaceful visit; they are bound to try and cause an incident, even if they have to make one up. Be on your guard and try not to use the word Elf ... unless you really need a gratuitous insult."

"I was thinking of trying out Pixie this time," I replied and watched as she nearly spat her coffee out having just taken a mouthful.

"Dear Lord, you realise that Pixie will almost certainly cause a duel assuming it doesn't start an outright war as it indicates that the one it's used on is lacking in Sidheness ... for want of a better word," she replied after calming down somewhat.

"Of course, my Mage, That's why I'd use it," I replied with a devil may care attitude.

"Well, if Roxanne doesn't cause an incident, you certainly will," she replied clearly trying not to laugh.

"I was planning on causing it when it's convenient to us, not them," I added.

"Good thinking, wish I could go with you, but Róisín's reached a critical stage now and Arch is going to need me around to make sure she doesn't seriously injure herself," Morgana sighed.

"Oh, the high scan?" I asked.

"Yes, John. You know how sensitive she is to subtle variances in quantum fields, well, this will be the equivalent of opening a hose to full bore in your face after you've been used to sipping through a straw,"

I nodded, but knew that Morgan and Arch would protect Róisín as best they could; after all, they managed to get me through it with my bull in a china shop ability to go completely over the top when dealing with the power aspects of high magic.

I did pop up to the Seer's section to check with Seer Jemima if there had been any incidents we could use as a pretext to visit Tír na nÓg, not that it would have stopped us, but it helps to at least have something.

"Yes, we believe the Bologna massacre as the mundane press are calling it was instituted as a slave/food grab, but they were quick so we aren't sure," Jemima said when I got up there. "The only reason we think it was them is Abigail, who caught a flicker of a portal when it raised itself above our normal threshold."

"So they're getting better at disguising their intent?" I asked.

"Appears so. Abigail thinks they are simply limiting their activities to smaller flashpoints, though she admits that their targeting is becoming far better," Jemima conceded.

"Either way is not good news, the last thing we need are smarter Sidhe," I sighed.

"As individuals I don't think they are any smarter, but whoever is directing them seems to be," she replied.

"Morgana is going to allow Roxanne to investigate and ask questions of Oberon and Titania, I'm going along to upset the mix ... so to speak. I don't suppose I could borrow Abigail to come along and scan the source of the problem?" I asked.

"That's one hell of a risk, John," she finally said after giving it over a minute of thought.

"I know, but as Seer's can't scan too well over the barrier between Earths I figure Abigail could go as Roxanne's journeywoman, the rest of you being obviously mature Mages," I replied.

"Also Abigail is not generally known to be a Seer either," mused Jemima.

"I'm asking you because I could see Morgana or Roxanne rejecting this out of hand without actually questioning it to be a good idea or not," I admitted.

"I don't think it is a good idea, John. But I think, judging what we know, it's a necessary risk," Jemima sighed.

"So you'll support me if I propose it?" I asked.

"I will, but please be damned careful with Abigail. She's a little too gung ho when it comes to you and your activities," she chuckled.

"Yes, she's already pestered Róisín as to becoming a second partner for me," I replied with a chuckle of my own.

"I know, but not until 1988 and she's out of her apprenticeship," Jemima replied with a smile.

"That's what Róisín told her," I said.

"Good. I'll support you, John. It's been a long time since a Seer was on Tír na nÓg," Jemima said by way of dismissal.

I wandered back down to Diplomatic and into Roxanne's office only to find it occupied by her senior staff giving her a briefing on recent activities so I was obliged to find my own space and begin a few bits of paperwork mostly with regard to Mage Thomas and the Enforcement section. Oddly I was joined by Mage William who, it appeared, wanted an informal word with me.

"Rumour mill has it that you and the boss are going to Tír na nÓg?" he said.

"If Mage Morgana gives us the approval; she's thinking it over now," I replied.

"I would like to come along; I studied the Sidhe as part of my specialisation training with Mage Cadmus. I could be useful," he said.

"Speak to Mage Roxanne, she's in charge," I replied, a bit nonplussed that William would seek me out.

"I'm not in favour here, you know that, but your recommendation would carry some weight," he added.

"I think you'll find Mage Roxanne is not as prejudiced against you as you imagine," I replied. "She did think favourably of your endeavours to bring across the Coalition deserters."

"Still I have a lot to make up for and any help would be appreciated," he responded.

"I'll ask, I can do no more," I replied. "Just be aware we may have to be provocative to force an error on their part. We may even have to fight our way out."

"I understand," he replied after giving it a moment's thought. "Sometimes they make mistakes when under pressure and a well-timed insult places them under a great deal of pressure."

I noticed the staff coming out of Roxanne's office so I nodded an assent to William, knocked and entered.

"Ah John. Morgana's been in touch. We're going," she began.

"I gathered that Mage Roxanne, I have a couple of requests though..."

"Go on, these will no doubt be good," she chuckled.

"I request the presence of Apprentice Seer Abigail in our party posing as your journeywoman," I began.

"Not a chance in hell!" exploded from Roxanne's mouth.

"Problematic but necessary, our Seers can't scan over the inter-world boundary too well, so getting a seer onto Tír na nÓg is a necessity as I see it to check for outer influences," I explained.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.