Rochambeau
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2014 by jamesbreitbart

PFC Jack Andrews, Monday, August 4, 2008.

It was a week before school started. We were due to help Grant bust his drug dealer, but first we needed to take care of The Program selection. Students are assigned to The Program by a sophisticated computer algorithm before each school year. It's supposed to be essentially random while ensuring that the various cliques and groups within a school are evenly represented. We were going to change things around a little bit. We had managed over the course of the summer to get a pretty good picture of Pat Rosario's social network, and we were going to put him and his friends in The Program for the first few weeks of the school year. With any luck, the pressure would get to him and he'd slip up.

We pulled into the parking lot of the school district's office. David's car wasn't the least conspicuous in the world, but no-one had noticed us. Grant and Dov were already waiting for us. David picked the lock with the laser function on his cell phone and we were inside. I followed David down the hallway to the Program administrator's office. I had the USB stick that would get us inside the computer. I plugged it in and waited for it to upload the software that would override the school district's security. It only took a few minutes to get in, and we had enough time to download the school's student files. With any luck they would give us more information about Rosario and his associates than we already had.

When we'd finished we drove to the place we were supposed to meet our Grant's "friend." Jesse Herrera was your typical high school crook, actually a lot like me minus about 80 IQ points. His family was stable but his father was probably an alcoholic, and bounced from job to job. The family had recently moved to Indiana from Utah, and their school records in Utah mentioned suspected abuse. Jesse's grades weren't very good at either school, and Grant estimated his IQ at about 90, and most of his friendships appeared to be centered on pot. He projected a tough personality, but Grant thought he'd crack if faced with the prospect of serious jail time.

Grant had told Jesse that David and I were interested in buying from him. He had seen David's Ferrari, so he had to be excited at the amount of money we'd have to spend on weed. The plan was for the local police to listen in on the microphones in my earring and Grant's shirt. Once we'd made the buy, they would bust down the door and arrest Jesse.

He'd told us that his parents would be out. Mrs. Herrera worked nights as a janitor, and Mr. Herrera was probably out at the bars. After David and I had been introduced, he showed us inside. His sister was watching cartoons in the living room. She wasn't supposed to be.

I hung back and pulled David aside.

"What the fuck do we do about her?"

"I dunno, can you talk?" he gave a meaningful glance towards my earring, which was sync up to the FBI team that was preparing to burst in with guns blazing as soon as we made the buy.

"They can hear us, we can't hear them."

"Shit. Try to stick close to her, hopefully they'll pick up her voice. If not, you can get her outside before the fireworks really start."

I sat down next to her on the couch. "What are you watching?"

She looked at me, slightly irritated. I didn't know how much she knew about her brother's extracurricular activities, but I assume she wasn't used to his friends striking up conversations.

"Spongebob." At least it was something a stoner would be interested in.

We waited for a few minutes. I coughed a couple of times, but other than that we were both silent. The door slowly opened and the FBI agents stepped inside. One of them pointed to the girl.

"Get her outside."

"Right." I took her hand. "Let's go."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.