The Anomaly Volume Three: Into the Unknowable
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2014 by Bradley Stoke

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 11 - The voyage of the Space Ship Intrepid is approaching its end. Will the nature of the Anomaly at last reveal itself? This is a question of paramount importance to Vashti and Beatrice, and in which there is no greater stake. For Captain Kerensky, the success of the mission is measured more by the well-being of the Intrepid's crew and passengers. Whereas Paul remains blissfully ignorant and unaware of almost everything around him and expects to play no part in the success of the mission.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Ma/Ma   Gay   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Hermaphrodite   Science Fiction   Group Sex   Interracial   Size   Nudism   Science fiction adult story, sci-fi adult story, science-fiction sex story, sci-fi sex story

Intrepid - 3756 C.E.

"Why are you so anxious?" Beatrice gently asked Paul while he lay beside her.

"Are we really going to enter the Anomaly?" her husband asked.

"If that's what Captain Kerensky said then I can only believe that's exactly what the Intrepid, and us in it as well, will do."

"I thought that was something we would never do," said Paul. "I thought that it would be suicide to enter the Anomaly."

"I'm sure neither Mission Control nor Captain Kerensky would ever authorise anything that was suicidal."

Beatrice was very persuasive as, of course, had been Captain Kerensky and the senior officers when Paul and the other passengers and crew gathered together earlier that day for the long-anticipated and well-advertised Official General Briefing. This was assembled at the Conference Centre whose cavernous space could comfortably seat every one of the thousands of passengers and crew. Paul very nearly didn't bother going, but Beatrice persuaded him that he really should.

"Won't it just be the usual waffle about the mission having achieved its goals now that we've more or less arrived at our destination?" he said.

"There could be more," Beatrice suggested.

"Even if there is," said Paul grumpily, "what would there be for me? I've got no research project to pursue and no technical equipment to set up. It'll be a total waste of time."

"Well, I'll be going," announced Beatrice.

And so Paul was given no room at all for negotiation.

There was a palpable sense of excitement among the thousands of soldiers and scientists assembled in the auditorium. The Intrepid's most senior officers and the highest ranking military officers were gathered on the podium where they were cheerfully chatting and joking together. Occasionally they passed a jovial remark to a member of the audience. There was almost a holiday atmosphere. The captain was at the centre of the proceedings with her shaven head and tight-fitting uniform. Next to her and on one side were the chief military officers such as Colonel Vashti and Colonel Musashi. On the other side were the senior space officers including Second Officer Nkomo, Chief Science Officer Dr. Chang and, of course, Chief Petty Officer Singh. Everyone was dressed immaculately in their official uniforms as was appropriate for such a momentous conference.

It didn't take very long for Paul to get bored. The general tone of the meeting was self-congratulatory and it was unlikely that there'd be anyone who'd congratulate him. There was a brief mention of the two unfortunate incidents and due commiseration was expressed for those who'd been injured and killed. There was substantial praise for the work of various eminent scientists whom Paul hadn't even known were on board the Intrepid. All the most important officers on the platform addressed the audience, but it was left to Captain Kerensky, Colonel Vashti and Chief Science Officer Dr. Chang to make the final statements. By this time, it was very difficult for Paul to stay awake. This was an unusually long and tedious meeting even by the standards set by the Interplanetary Union. He'd already been sitting there for three or four hours and was feeling rather restless. Not surprisingly so too was everyone else in the audience. Most of them were wishing that the conference had been over by now and there were several gaps across the audience where some attendees had already sneaked off. If Beatrice hadn't been gripping his arm, Paul might well have joined them.

Colonel Vashti was a popular speaker. She was known for her wit and vivid use of language. On the few times Paul had seen the colonel address an audience, she'd been both stirring and entertaining. So when the colonel approached the lectern, Paul hoped that at last there would be a speech which would make this whole interminable affair seem worthwhile, but regrettably he was disappointed. The colonel's wit and slightly cheeky humour was totally absent, even though the first few comments where she praised the quality of the refreshments provided seemed to promise something rather more engaging. The soldiers in the audience were visibly disappointed. They'd probably expected more than yet another account of their heroism and courage in fighting off the Holy Coalition and in ensuring that more lives weren't lost when the Intrepid was attacked by missiles. What might have been the promising start to a series of diverting anecdotes on the efforts of individual soldiers became a rather dry set of statistics that might have been impressive in another context but after over three hours of tiring speeches was both dull and monotonous. It was almost as if the colonel was going out of her way to be boring.

The addresses given by Chief Science Officer Dr. Chang and Captain Kerensky were similarly tedious. Neither said anything not couched in polysyllabic technical terms and neither address could be described as brief and snappy. The Chief Science Officer spoke first and at great length about what had already been mentioned by other speakers about the scientists' achievements. Those being congratulated were no doubt delighted by the additional fulsome praise, but even they must have been weary. They acknowledged the applause they earned almost reluctantly. One of the scientists wasn't even in his seat and the whole auditorium had to wait for him to return from wherever he'd gone simply so he could acknowledge the applause.

Paul gradually became aware that as the Chief Science Officer continued her address some members of the audience were getting increasingly restive, predominantly amongst the scientists. Paul focused his attention more closely towards the even-toned address the Chief Science Officer had now been giving for over half an hour with no apparent sign of being nearly finished.

"What does 'deep field reconnaissance' mean?" he asked Beatrice. "And what is 'esoteric interior research'? What are those references to 'non-spatial intra-field coordinates'?"

"I'm sure it'll all be explained in due course," said Beatrice who was probably the only one in the audience neither bored nor agitated.

"Excuse me, Dr. Chang," came a loud booming voice. "Excuse me!"

It belonged to Professor Penrose who was an expert on quantum field fluctuations and one of those whose research was most often cited for praise by the Chief Science Officer and other speakers. In addition to his other notable achievements he had an unusually resonant voice that could be heard further than anyone might think possible. He didn't need a microphone to be heard across the whole auditorium.

"I shall be taking questions afterwards," said the Chief Science Officer who seemed uncharacteristically exasperated by this interruption.

"Am I to understand that you are implying that the space ship Intrepid and everyone aboard are about to enter the Anomaly?" the professor asked.

"There will be an opportunity for questions later," said Captain Kerensky sternly.

"My understanding was that the mission would not involve any such foolhardy risk to either the crew or passengers," boomed the professor regardless.

"I don't believe Mission Control would ever authorise anything that was anything of the sort," said the Chief Science Officer. "If I may continue... ? There is a great deal to cover and I'm sure many of you would rather convene to the celebratory lunch that is being prepared after this meeting than be delayed by unnecessary interruptions."

Although the implication was that the rest of the addresses might then proceed at a faster pace, this wasn't at all true. There was nearly another two hours of wearisome speeches given by the Chief Science Officer, then the captain and afterwards by several other officers.

"And now," said Captain Kerensky, "shall we all adjourn to the reception area? There is some truly remarkable confectionery from Saturn and wine from the very best vineyards on Triton."

The weary audience began moving out but before everyone had left the auditorium Professor Penrose's voice boomed out: "Tell me, captain, if you may. When will the space ship Intrepid be entering the Anomaly?"

"In less than twenty-four hours, professor," said the captain with a smile. "Now if you can all follow me..."

"This was not at all how the mission was intended to proceed, captain," said the professor. "This is a complete change to the mission's objectives. We are here to observe and conduct research not plunge to our certain death in uncharted territory."

"Really, professor," said the Chief Science Officer dismissively. "Don't exaggerate. If you look at the mission statement freely available on the ship's systems you'll see that deep field ingress and exotic phenomenon analysis is precisely what the mission was intended to undertake."

"Unless my memory is faulty or the mission statement has been tampered with," said the professor, "that cannot be so."

"I think you'll discover that it's your memory that's defective in this case, professor," said the captain with a wry indulgent smile. "Mission Control wouldn't be sending us all this way for nothing. Interior anomalous non-quantum investigation is precisely what we are here for. Where else can this be done except inside the Anomaly? Isn't that so?"

The last question was addressed to the captain's fellow officers who all cheerfully concurred with Captain Kerensky's comments.

"You'll have to study the statement of the mission objectives in more detail, professor," said the Chief Petty Officer. "It's all there. This is what we've travelled across trillions of kilometres of space to do and despite the best efforts of religious fanatics and murderous wealthy fantasists that will be exactly what we shall do. It's what you signed up for, professor. You should be delighted."

"This is a very momentous occasion, professor," agreed Second Officer Nkomo. "This must surely be the climax of all your years of research. In less than twenty-four hours we shall be inside a new spacetime continuum. It might not even be a spacetime continuum as we know it at all. Isn't that exciting, professor? Only twenty-three hours and seventeen minutes."

"And getting closer all the time," remarked Colonel Musashi. "I can barely wait, professor. Who here won't be celebrating the occasion?"

"Am I the only one here who thinks we are about to commit suicide on a futile whim?" said the professor in despair.

"I rather think you are," said Second Officer Nkomo. "Come on, professor. We've wasted too much time in this futile discussion. Let's join everyone else."

At this stage there were relatively few people left in the auditorium and most of those were in the process of leaving. Professor Penrose quite clearly did not have everyone's attention.

"What new information does Mission Control have that wasn't available before the endeavour began to suggest that it's possible to enter the Anomaly and later return to the Solar System? What critical piece of information have I simply not been aware of before now? How have the best minds in the Solar System been so ignorant of what we hitherto believed to be a fundamental characteristic of the Anomaly?"

"Shall we discuss this privately, professor?" said Chief Science Officer Dr. Chang with an indulgent smile as she approached the scientist's isolated figure.

"What was that all about?" Paul asked Beatrice. "Isn't the professor right?"

"Evidently not," said Beatrice.

"I'm sure he is," said Paul. "I always believed that the objective of this mission was to rendezvous with the Anomaly and after a period of investigation to return home to the ecliptic plane. I don't believe anyone ever said that we'd be entering the Anomaly. I thought that nothing that entered the Anomaly ever re-emerged again."

"Are you sure?" questioned Beatrice. "I can't believe the captain and all the officers would ever agree to authorise suicide. Wouldn't the Interplanetary Union be rather foolish to send an expensive space ship and everyone on it into the Anomaly if it didn't think that by doing so it would fulfil the mission and relay the results of the research back home?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.