Student Assistance
Chapter 29

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

We woke up together and showered. I will miss that when we get back to school. After me shaving and her fixing her hair, we went into her room and dressed for church. We went into the kitchen and made coffee. We waited for our parents.

When they came in, we all had a light breakfast and left for Sunday school after everyone was ready. Our parents would go to the Masons’ class. We went to Karen’s old class. We were the only ones there. We went into the hall and found that the young marrieds, collegiate group, and seniors and juniors in high school had all been combined into one class. We went in to find only six and a teacher. Karen knew one girl who had been a junior last year.

Karen said, “What has happened? This group was in four separate classes with over a dozen in each class.”

Brittany was the girl Karen had known. She said, “Pastor Fred has run all the rest off. My parents refuse to leave. Dad says that he will be appointed elsewhere in June and that he won’t give up his family’s church over a misguided fool. It is wearing thin. I’m ready to leave. Six families with teens left after his sermon when you were last here.”

“Well, Brad and I are here again. I intentionally wore the same dress. If he starts again, there is an old, old practice called shunning. I will practice it by standing and facing the back of the church if he starts on me again. I suspect that I will have that opportunity today.

“It’s probably no surprise that our wedding will not be here. We will be married by the pastor of the Methodist church close to the college and are already meeting with Pastor Jim there. He’s a great guy.”

The kids gathered around with the teacher to be supportive. He even prayed for the success of our plan!

On the way to the sanctuary, Karen explained things to our parents and had their support.

We went into the sanctuary and greeted people who were congratulating her on her engagement and expressing happiness on meeting my parents.

The service started and I noticed that there was no choir. The organ stood silent and a person was playing the piano poorly. There were even more empty spaces in the pews. The singing was lackadaisical and subdued.

When the sermon was to begin, Fred announced that he was departing from his prepared sermon topic. He began to speak against “loose women” and “people who didn’t understand the power of the church to correct lives.” I looked at Karen and she smiled grimly. We stood and turned away from the pulpit. We held hands. Our parents stood up beside us. My dad grasped my hand in his and I saw Missus Mason take Karen’s hand. We had been sitting close to the front. Brittany and her parents stood and faced away from the pulpit. Quickly, more and more people were standing and facing away from the pastor in silent protest. Soon, there were only two couples still seated or facing the front.

Pastor Fred’s voice became angry. After a while, it seemed to trail off. I saw Missus Mason motion to her husband. He finally shrugged and released her hand. He walked to the front of the church in the middle. He said, “Preacher, it’s bad for you to be wrong. It’s bad for you to be hurtful. It’s worse for you to be repetitious when doing the first two. You have managed to do all three. The Bishop and D.S. both know of the problems that your bad ministry has caused this congregation. You should request immediate reassignment to stop the damage you are doing here. Your ministry is not being blessed because it is not of God. We are standing in protest before God that you have no place here.

“Helen and I grew up in this church and married here. We celebrated our daughter’s baptism here. I had hoped to see her married here. That was her wish. She and her young man pray before every meal. They are a lovely couple and I am ashamed that our church’s appointed pastor can’t seem to welcome her here. I apologize to my daughter; to her fiancé, a young man I have come to love and respect; to his parents, who are God-fearing Methodists; and to everyone else who has been hurt by you. I have to say that I will not be back until someone else is in this pulpit.”

He walked back to Missus Mason. She took his hand and they began to lead us out of the sanctuary. I had never seen anything like this before. It almost never happened in a Methodist church. We went outside and many people came up to Mister Mason to say they supported him. Two men came up and one said, “Finally, too much, Don?” He nodded. “You have our support. Talk to Harry. It can’t wait.”

Mister Mason nodded, “I will call him at home today. I don’t know what he can do. It’s serious.” They nodded gravely.

We went home.

The phone was ringing when we came in the door. Karen said, “Dad, I’m sorry.”

Her father said, “Don’t be. It’s not about you except for me. Karen, you are my daughter. I love you and support you completely. Fred is wrong. It’s going to take more than our church to straighten him out.

“Now, I want you to sit between your mother and Brad and feel their love for you while I field phone calls. Know that I love you, too. You are our smart, beautiful daughter and your mother and I are so very proud of the person you are.”

“Hello, Fred. No, there really isn’t anything for us to discuss. I plan to call Harry later today. I’ve known Harry for over twenty years. Our church has never had problems like this before. I’m going to tell Harry what I told the congregation and why I said it. I’m not sure what he can do but you need to go and the church needs someone appointed to heal the hurts you have inflicted upon it.” He said quietly, “He told me he didn’t agree and then hung up.”

As soon as he set the receiver down, the phone began to ring. He began fielding calls responding steadily. Missus Mason brought him some iced tea. She and my mom completed lunch while I held Karen who listened to her father talk to people who called. It was clear to me that the calls were overwhelmingly favorable to Mister Mason’s stance.

It was about twelve thirty when Mister Mason said, “Hello, Harry. I guess you received a call or two.” He chuckled. “Yes, I’ve received a few calls, too.” He proceeded to tell him what happened including what he had said. Finally, he said, “Harry, you were there when Karen was baptized and you know her story. It’s only gotten better. Our wonderful daughter is doing very well. She and her fiancé are both on the Dean’s List at college. They will marry at the Methodist church close to the college. If anything, she is getting more beautiful. Yes, I will tell her. Thank you and my best to Marie. I plan to go to conference and then go to her wedding. Harry, I’m going to walk her down the aisle.” His voice had a sense of wonder to it. “Okay. Thanks Harry. If I can do anything, let me know.”

Missus Mason came into the living room and said, “Let the phone ring. It’s time for lunch. We don’t have much time left before Jackie and Bert and Karen and Brad have to leave. After you bless the meal, you can tell us what’s going on.”

We filed into the dining room and sat down.

Mister Mason prayed for the meal and our travel. He added prayer for his church, for Fred, for the D.S., and for the Bishop. The plates were served and everyone began to eat. Missus Mason looked at him.

He smiled gently. He said, “As you all heard, that was Harry, the D.S. for this area. He heard from a few members and from Fred. The Bishop called him because some people had called him as had Fred. The Bishop is meeting with the two of them on Monday morning. That tells me that it’s serious. Harry said that no one had ever done that before to his knowledge. He verified to me that Fred would not be reappointed to our church. He hopes to have him relieved at the meeting Monday. Fred’s story was conspiracy-ridden and he had talked about this wicked Jezebel who was in church flaunting her body. Harry was even more unhappy to find out that it was Karen. I have his email and want to send him a picture of the two of you dressed like you are now. He needs to be able to show how you were dressed to the Bishop. It will emphasize to the Bishop how outlandish Fred is being.”

Missus Mason said, “Actually, Don, why not one with all four of us. Doesn’t the Bishop know you?”

“Not well but Harry can enlighten him if needed. I think that’s an excellent idea.

“This is all difficult because I am the church’s lay delegate to Annual Conference again. I’ve never been at odds with our pastor before.”

Missus Mason said, “There is a first time for everything and this is the appropriate time for this. I have to wonder how that man ever made it through the Board of Ordained Ministry.”

Mister Mason responded. “His father was a pastor and D.S. before retirement. Fred seemed to change even more after he was appointed here last June.

“Harry is aware that something has to be done immediately. It will be up to the Bishop but Bishops usually listen to the D.S. because they know the situations better and more intimately. Harry was fairly new as D.S., visiting our church when you were baptized, Karen. He was one of the ones laying hands on your head and blessing you. He knows you, cares about you, and asks about you whenever I see him.”

We finished eating and I had my mom take the pictures with my phone. First, she took the two of us. Then, we added Mister and Missus Mason. I sent them to everyone’s email accounts. Mister Mason gave me the D.S.’s email and I sent him both pictures.

The phone was plugged back in and immediately began to ring again. Mister Mason sat down and began to field calls. Suddenly, he said, “Hold on.” He looked at me. “Brad, can your phone record conversations?” I nodded. “Start recording.”

He lifted his hand off the receiver after I nodded. “Hello, Fred. How may I help you?” I heard the profanity through the earpiece. “Fred, that sort of outburst is unhelpful. I hope you will do what is best for the church and leave early. My understanding is that you will not be appointed to us again.” I heard some more profanity including the word, harlot. “Fred, the young woman you have identified as a harlot is a student on the Dean’s List at her college majoring in Chemistry. She is also my daughter.” There was some more yelling though not as much profanity. “Fred, I don’t see any useful purpose being served by this conversation. I resent hearing my daughter being talked about in that manner. I do not care for the profanity or the yelling. If you can’t or won’t calm down, I will terminate this call.” The profanity started again and Mister Mason hung up. I stopped recording.

He looked at me. “Brad, please send that recording to me and to the D.S. He won’t like it and I hope he doesn’t need it.”

Mister Mason gave himself a shake and looked at the rest of us. “I’m sorry you had to hear any of that. I think you four need to leave since it’s that time. I don’t think he would come over here but, if he does, I don’t want you caught up in this mess.

“If he comes, we won’t come to the door but will call the police.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.