Student Assistance - Cover

Student Assistance

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 26

Melissa said, “I told Paul to talk with his dad. I took my suitcase and went out to the car. I don’t know what I was going to do. I didn’t have money for a bus or even know where the bus station was located. I looked back and Paul was behind me. His dad was following us out.”

Paul picked up the story. “Dad wanted me to come back inside. I told him that there is no ‘me’ any more. There is only ‘us.’ Then I said, ‘If we aren’t welcome, then we will not stay.’ I think he finally realized that this was no bluff and that Mother had gone too far.

“I opened the trunk and put our suitcases inside. I looked at him and said, ‘I will get Brad to follow me over here and return your car and keys. You can toss everything in my old room. I will not be back for any of it. Hopefully, Todd and Joanie will meet your expectations and give you grandchildren you will get to see.’ I said good-bye and turned to get in the car.”

Melissa said, “Paul’s dad asked us to wait a moment. He went inside. It was about two minutes. I was standing outside the car while Paul was inside with the keys in the ignition. It was a very long two minutes. Paul’s brother and sister came out to talk to us. I persuaded Paul to come out of the car to talk to them.”

Paul said, “I was mad but not at them. So we talked. They asked Melissa questions about college and her grades and major. They were doing what the three of us had done at various times when our parents were arguing. They got out of the house. It was at least ten minutes later before my father and mother came outside to stand on the porch. My mother called to me to come in and talk. I didn’t answer. I just shook my head. She stood there looking forlorn. I hugged my brother and sister and opened the door for Melissa to get back in. She got in slowly and rolled the window down before closing the door. I walked around to the driver’s side and got in. I started the motor and my mother came running out to the driveway. She was crying. She cried, ‘Paul, what can I do? I lost your sister. I can’t lose you.’ I looked at her through the passenger window and said, ‘You lost me when you rejected my future wife. I don’t know if you can say anything that I will accept. Melissa is a good, loving, smart person. We are happy together. We will marry. We will have children. We will be successful. You may be able to get into her good graces and have some relationship with me in the future. It won’t be today. We’re going back to the college and I am an orphan.’ Before she could react further, I pulled out. We drove back Saturday afternoon.”

“We went to Sunday school and church this morning. When we returned, my parents, brother and sister were waiting in the common room of the dorm. We had entered hand in hand. I saw them and removed my car keys and house key from my key ring and held them out.”

Melissa said, “We talked about this situation all the way back to college and late into the night. Paul was adamant that he would make no move to heal the break in the relationship. I wasn’t happy about that but understood.” She looked at him and smiled gently. “He even admitted that his mother’s attitude was a prime part of his treatment of women. I was the second one he had ever brought home. The first was in early high school. She had been treated in a similar manner.”

I understood many things about my friend now. Karen said, “You can’t stop here. What happened?”

I will use Paul’s words from here. Paul told us the rest.

I walked toward my father with those keys in my hand. “I won’t need these any more. I bought my phone. I will get it on my own plan early next week with a new number. I will handle my tuition and expenses from now on.” My father was very troubled but he took the keys. I took Melissa’s hand and we started walking to the elevators though Melissa wasn’t happy with the situation.

My mother cried out. “Paul, wait!”

I turned. “What should I wait for, Missus Thompson? Should I wait for you to heap more abuse upon my fiancé or on me?”

She recoiled like I had struck her. “Paul, don’t treat me this way! I’m your mother.”

“Missus Thompson, I have no mother. My mother is a bitch who is dead to me. I am an orphan. I will make a life with Melissa without a family.” Again, I turned to go.

She was now crying. My brother and sister were crying. My father had tears flowing down his cheeks. “Paul, please hear us out.”

“What, Mister Thompson, is there left to say?”

“Paul, I am sorry for what happened at the house.”

“Mister Thompson, in that we are in agreement. I regret what happened in that place also. I regret bringing my beautiful, intelligent fiancé to that place. I will not make that mistake again.”

He was standing about five feet away now. He said, “Could we speak somewhere in private?”

“No.”

“Must we hash this out in public?”

“There is nothing to hash out in public or in private. Mister and Missus Thompson, you have made your position abundantly clear. I will not abide by it. That should be sufficiently clear for you to understand.” I turned again to go and he grabbed my arm. I stopped. “Release my arm or I will call security. It is over!” He loosened his grip and I moved away.

My mother sobbed. ‘You can’t throw your family away.”

“Missus Thompson, my family threw me away. Melissa and I went to that house yesterday to celebrate a joyous event. We were not made welcome. We left. You are not welcome here. Leave!”

The R.A. came up to me. “Paul, should I call security?”

“Not yet, Ron. I am hoping these people will leave quietly.”

My mother cried, “Paul, I’m sorry!”

“I’m sure you are. I’m the second child you have run off. You haven’t apologized to the wronged party yet. You have not even acknowledged her existence though she has exerted some pressure or I would already be in my dorm room.” I turned again.

My brother and sister ran to us and hugged us both. My sister said, “Paul, please don’t leave us. We love you and we love Melissa.”

“I love you, too, Joanie. This has been coming for a while. I’m sorry that you are caught up in it. Missus Thompson has found her love for social standing stronger than her caring about two of her children now. Maybe she will learn what’s important in time for the two of you.” I gave them each a hug and made to leave.

My mother said, “Melissa, isn’t there something you can say to change things?”

“Missus Thompson, what would you have me do? I will not reject the man I love nor ask him to reject me. I regret this situation but it is ‘not my fault.’ I will pray that God comes into your heart and can give you peace for your losses that you have brought on yourself.”

Finally, Melissa turned with me and we, again, headed for the elevators. Nothing else was said and we got in and closed the door to head upstairs. As that door closed, we both could hear my mother wail, “No!”

Five minutes later, my brother and sister knocked on the door. By then, we had cried and dried our tears. We had changed clothes to go to lunch. I looked through the spy glass and let them in. They came busting in. Todd said, “They are arguing. Mom blames Dad for him not being able to get you to ‘see reason.’ Then she blames you. Then she blames Melissa. She doesn’t understand that she created the whole problem.”

“I know, Todd. Dad has gone along so long with her that he really doesn’t know what to do. What is funny in a sad way is that Dad has the social standing and money. Mom’s parents were poor folk. She has a brother and sister who you have never met. They don’t meet her standards for social standing or money either one. You two need to understand that you didn’t start this and that it may not end with me. It didn’t end with Michelle. I will tell you that I am in touch with her. She and Robbie are doing well. She just found out that she is pregnant. They are going to try to come to the wedding. You have your license now. I hope you and Joanie can come, too.”

We sat around looking unhappy. My phone had rung twice with Mom and then again with Dad. I didn’t want to turn it off since you might call. Todd’s phone rang and he looked at it. “It’s Dad.”

I said, “Answer it but I will not talk.”

Todd said, “Hello, Dad.” He paused. “We’re in Paul’s room just talking. He will not talk to either of you, Sir.”

Melissa said, “Tell him you will call him back in two minutes or less.”

“Dad, let me call you back. I will just be a minute. Yes, sir. Bye.”

Melissa said, “Paul, we need to go down there and try to find a solution that we can live with. If not, then we can honestly say that we truly tried.

“Todd, Joanie, I’m going to talk to your brother. Wait outside for a minute.” She looked at them and they went out.

Melissa embraced me. “Paul, I love you. I know you love me. Let’s try. Even if we can work something out, it won’t be all good. We have to know in our hearts that we tried and that we didn’t let our pride get in the way of a solution.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.