Student Assistance - Cover

Student Assistance

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 25

I noticed that their pastor, in addition to his comparative youth, looked very severe. He left his subject as printed in the bulletin to preach on scantily-dressed harlots. I could tell he had upset Karen. When the service was over and we filed out, none of us shook his hand. I was the last of our party.

I was not happy. “Sir, I’ve been a Methodist all my life. I didn’t know until today that the Bishop had ever appointed a jackass to a pulpit.” His face went red with anger. I had a look on my face daring him to try something. I didn’t outweigh him but was in obviously better shape. He decided not to try anything.

We got in the car for the trip home. Mister Mason said, “Well said, Brad.

“Our Pastor-Parish Relations Committee met and have already asked that he be appointed elsewhere in June. I cannot remember such a request ever being made before from our church. Our attendance and giving are way down. We will not be able to pay our apportionments in full for the first time in fifty years even if things stabilized. According to some of our oldest members, the drop-offs in both attendance and giving have been steep. His sermon this morning will not improve things.” He chuckled. “I wish I had thought of your remark.”

Missus Mason said, “Did you have to say jackass? Couldn’t you have said horse’s rear?”

“No, ma’am. You know he was referring to Karen. It was all I could do not to jerk his butt off the pulpit and kick it hard.”

“We won’t ask either of you to go back there while he is still there. Don, I think PPR needs to complain about this.”

“I agree but it’s my daughter he was picking on. By definition, I am prejudiced. However, I will support anyone else on the committee asking for us to meet. He has devastated the high school and college age classes. We had built the nucleus of a great group of young people until he came. When you and I taught the high school class, there were over thirty members. I don’t think there are ten left in less than a year. I know many have left and gone to other churches. What is worse, some are just no longer going. It hurts to see our efforts torn down by a fool in such a short time. I know the D.S. and I am going to call on him privately. I hope he doesn’t know the extent of what’s happening in our church.

“That tears it. Karen and Brad will marry before he can be moved. A marriage at our church is no longer a possibility.” He glanced in his rear-view mirror. “You two need to talk with the other two, Melissa and Paul. The church at school is looking good at the moment.”

We pulled in at their house and went inside. Karen took me into her/our room and said, “Put on something comfortable. We will leave shortly after lunch.”

She moved into my arms. “Thank you, Lover, for defending me and for not being violent.” She kissed me.

“It was tempting.”

“I know, Lover. You have shown me that you can resist temptation when that’s appropriate.” She turned. “Unzip me.” I unzipped the dress and gently pushed my hands under the dress and around her to palm her breasts.

“That fool would really have had a cow if he had known you were braless!”

“If you won’t tell him, I won’t.” We chuckled and dressed and packed. I left our cases in the bedroom.

We had lunch with her parents and I continued to like them more and more. We were in the living room talking when their phone rang. It was my mother. Karen picked up the extension and the three of them talked and laughed for most of thirty minutes. Missus Mason said, “Jackie, this call must be costing you a fortune.”

I heard my mother say, “Helen, it’s a cell phone with unlimited minutes and unlimited long distance.”

“Oh, okay then.”

They continued talking. I said, “Mister Mason, is Karen’s phone plan under a contract?”

He shook his head. “We bought her phone and put it on month to month. It’s similar to ours. We just don’t use them except for emergencies.”

“I need to talk to my dad but we could add you three to our plan for ten dollars a month each.”

“I did that for mine and pay him quarterly. It makes for a flat rate when you have unlimited minutes. I will check and let you know. Karen can call you more often now because she can use my phone until we get them switched over. She can just call your landline like my mom did.”

Mister Mason said, “I would like that if it can be done.”

“I think so. It’s part of Dad’s company program and that’s why he gets a big volume discount on a per phone basis.”

At that moment, Karen called me. “Brad, would you come over here and talk to your mother?”

I went into the kitchen, smiled at Karen who was smiling but looked a little troubled. I took the receiver and said, “Hello, Mom. It’s Brad.”

Mom said, “I have to bring you some bad news from our area. Is Karen next to you? Have her hold your hand.”

I took Karen’s hand and said, “You’re scaring me, Mom.”

“I’m sorry but it’s serious. Lisa was hurt badly last night. She was barred from the country club so apparently went out to the Kit Kat Club at the edge of town. The reports about who, what, and why are still coming in but she was found on the road coming in from there naked and badly hurt. Bert understands both the narcotic and sex crimes units are involved in the investigation. She is in critical, but stable condition.”

I felt guilty but breathed a sigh of relief. “Mom, I thought it was you, Dad, or Suzie-Q. I’m sorry for Lisa and will pray that she is healed but we are long over.”

“Her parents were asking about you.”

“Tell them the truth. I’m off at college. Lisa broke up with me months ago. We have both moved on. I’ve since met and am now engaged to a wonderful lady. Tell them that I’m aware of Lisa’s situation and will pray for her.

“Mom, even if I hadn’t met and fallen in love with Karen, my statement would be pretty much the same.

“I guess Karen has told you that we have had a wonderful weekend and where the wedding will likely be. It’s been a good time and, like our trip to see you and Dad, we will be back here a bunch, too, before and after our marriage.”

I paused a second. “I love you, Dad, and Suzie-Q. We’ll call later in the week.”

I heard Mom say, “We love you, Son. I will talk to Lisa’s parents.”

I handed the phone back to Karen and rejoined Mister Mason. I said, “My former girl friend was found injured and naked last night. She had flunked out of college and had gotten wild.” We had mentioned the issue from the club last Saturday. “Her parents are not members and she was barred even as a guest over it. This hasn’t been a good year for her.”

Mister Mason nodded. We waited in a companionable silence for our ladies to finish talking. They came into the room and sat down with us. Karen was beside me and held my hand. She rested her head on my shoulder. We all sat there just enjoying being with one another.

After a while, Karen said, “Lover, we need to head back. Go get our stuff.” I nodded and stood. When I passed through on the way to the car, Karen was talking with her parents. I put our stuff in the trunk and came back inside. Karen saw me and stood. The four of us gathered together for good-byes. I gave Mister Mason a hug while Karen hugged and kissed her mother. Then, we swapped. I hugged and kissed Missus Mason.

Karen and I were standing together with our arms around each other’s waist. I said, “I want to thank you for raising a beautiful daughter. I honor and value her loving heart and bright mind.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.