Student Assistance - Cover

Student Assistance

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 16

We pulled into the driveway and I parked in my usual spot. I went around to the car door and opened it. “Love, we can get our stuff out later. Let’s go in and face the music.” Karen was tense but nodded. As she stepped out, I embraced her and kissed her lips lightly. She braced her body internally and took my hand as I led her into the house.

I opened the door to the kitchen to see my mom and dad in the midst of preparing lunch. Five plates were set out on the kitchen table. “Mom, Dad, we’re here!”

They turned to face us and both of them almost gasped. I said, “Mom, Dad, this is Karen Mason, my fiancé. Karen, these are my parents.”

Mom went to Karen and said, “You are gorgeous! Your speaking voice suggested beauty but you are far prettier than I had expected.” They hugged.

Dad and I shook hands and gave each other a man hug. “Son, she is startlingly beautiful.” He swapped with Mom.

Mom whispered, “You did well, son. I liked her over the phone. She’s better in person.”

Dad was louder. “I always hoped my son would marry ‘up’ and you have exceeded any expectations that I might have had that you would manage that.”

They let us go and Karen grabbed my hand, holding it and using her other hand to draw me closer so she could lean her head against my shoulder. She gave them the full thousand-watt smile and said, “I’m glad to meet you. I have looked forward to meeting you with anticipation and a little fear.”

Mom said, “You have had nothing to fear. I have been able to tell how crazy happy my son is to be with you. That works for me.”

My dad looked a bit mesmerized by Karen’s smile. He was just grinning at her, looking awestruck. Mom looked over at him and said, “Bert, is she okay with you?”

“She’s more than okay. She is one of the prettiest ladies I have ever met.”

Mom said, “We were just readying lunch for you. Your timing was great.” She glanced at me. “Get Suzie and we’ll eat.” I nodded and left Karen to my parents. They were seating her next to where I usually sat when I left for my sister’s room.

I knocked on the door. “Suzie-Q, it’s time for lunch.” I was the only person to my knowledge who ever called her, “Suzie-Q.”

The door popped open and my blond sister barreled into my arms with a long, drawn-out, “Bradley,” to welcome me as she hugged me tightly. We had always gotten along. I hoped she would like Karen. “Well, where is she?”

“Karen’s in the kitchen with mom and dad. Lunch is ready.”

“Okay, let’s go in so I can meet her.” She looked me over. “You do look happier than I can ever remember.”

“I am happier than I can ever remember.”

We went into the kitchen. As we entered, Karen stood up. “Suzie, I’m glad to meet you.”

Suzie-Q was speechless. She gave her a quick hug. “It’s not hard to see why Bradley likes you. You look like a nice person.”

Karen said, “I just reflect Brad’s love to others.”

Suzie-Q was now quiet though was a little wide eyed. Mom served the plates with our lunch and Dad got ready to pray. Karen and I held hands. All of us said, “Amen.”

Mom said, “You were holding hands with Brad while Bert blessed the meal?”

“Yes, ma’am. It’s a tradition that we started. We hold hands and bless every meal no matter where we are or who we are with. Brad’s got a good hand and I like holding it.”

Karen didn’t know it but her words were winning over Suzie-Q. My younger sister always thought that Lisa didn’t appreciate me very much. She thought it was because I didn’t treat her as well as I should have. She was seeing the looks that Karen gives me and was beginning to see a different picture that fit how I treated her as a brother.

We started eating. Suzie-Q said, “Karen, how did you meet Brad?”

“He and I have an English class together and I had asked another girl his name but the beginning was when I received a voice mail telling me it was important to meet him at the student center. I found out it wasn’t his voice but didn’t know it then. I had been in no hurry to meet any guy. He was standing outside the center when I approached him. He was surprised when I approached him and said that I wanted to know what was so important that I needed to see him right then. He managed to convince me that he hadn’t sent the message. Since he didn’t seem too weird, we took a seat on a bench outside. We held hands then. He has a good, gentle hand. I realized then that I liked your brother.

“We both cut a class to continue talking. We haven’t stopped talking since. I love to hear his voice and look at his eyes while he talks. He’s a good kisser, too.

“When he asked me to marry him between Sunday school and church last Sunday, what could I say but ‘yes’ to such a wonderful man?”

Suzie-Q’s mouth gaped open. She wasn’t used to her brother being spoken of in such glowing terms. I could tell that Karen had won her over. My mother was beaming. My dad still looked stunned, though happy. My family was on her side. As far as I was concerned, the trip was already a success!

Lunch was fun. After lunch, my mother and sister cornered Karen who was helping with the dishes. My dad and I went out to the car and carried things in. To my considerable surprise, Karen was to be in the guest room next to my room. We put her case in that room and I said, “I thought you would put her with Suzie or in the room next to her.”

“We can but your mother suggested this setup unless you mind.”

“No, sir. I do not mind though that location creates a lot of temptation.”

“That girl is gorgeous and obviously adores you. Just by existing, she is a temptation. I like her already and your mother was looking forward to her coming here just from the phone call. We’re going out to eat tonight at the club. You can show her off.”

I grinned at my father. “She is just learning some of how stunningly beautiful she really is. She is adopted and her parents are great people. Her life before that wasn’t good. The person she can be just needed a chance to be freed and be wonderful. The best part of it all is I’m hers.”

“You two look very happy and make a wonderful couple. She’s even won your sister over and I wasn’t sure that would happen. She’s been getting her ears filled with your failings from Lisa. Lisa hasn’t been mourning your loss. She is getting a reputation around town as a party girl in a big way. We haven’t seen her in church since the first of the year. You had hinted that things with her were over last summer but just hadn’t ended. I think it’s good that you aren’t with her.

“On the other hand, she won’t like Karen who she will consider is her replacement.”

“Dad, she was done and over long before Karen came on the scene. It was over last summer though it hadn’t ended. She just made it formal in early January with her email. I haven’t known Karen but two weeks. It has been intense and intensely happy though.

“We’re both on the Dean’s List. It makes us well matched in that regard. The fact that her wonderful mind and loving heart are inside a beautiful body isn’t bad either. If you think she looks good in slacks, wait until you see her in a skirt. It boggles the mind.”

We went into the kitchen where the ladies were still. As I walked in, Karen was saying, “ ... so nice to me. I feel so protected and safe in his arms.” Naturally, I came up behind her as she stood and enveloped her in my arms and holding her body against mine. She made a purring sound deep in her throat. Suzie-Q was looking on in awe at us.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.