Student Assistance
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

I attended class and tried to pay attention. I took a lot of notes so I could figure out what was said later. My head was spinning from the message and excited to be seeing Karen.

I hurried to the front of the student center to wait for Karen. She came up a moment later. She looked flustered but smiled when she saw me at the same spot. She came up to me and lightly kissed my lips. She said, “Is this your spot?”

I replied, “It’s my lucky spot, my very lucky spot.”

She smiled that thousand watt smile and chuckled at me. “What’s on the to do list today?”

I said, “We have an hour and a half before we need to eat. I would like to walk with you. Then I would like to eat lunch with you. We need to talk. I got a message last night on my phone though I never heard it ring.”

We set our books down out of the way and walked hand in hand. She said, “Okay, first what is the plan for tonight?”

I said, “Do you like Italian or Chinese better?”

“Chinese though it’s close.”

“Okay, Tokyo House for dinner and then a concert. The college orchestra is playing Mozart tonight.”

She stopped pulling me around to face her. “Mozart is my favorite. How did you know?”

“How could I know? It sounded good and I like Mozart, too. I truly enjoy Chinese food and Tokyo House is very good. My parents took me there when I returned from Christmas break.”

“Okay, I guess I need to wear a dress.”

“You don’t have to but that’s more expected for the concert. I will wear a sports coat and a tie. Let’s be fancy. After all, it’s our first date.”

“That’s true. I’m looking forward to it. Now, what’s the message?”

“I saved it.” I pulled out my phone. “Listen.” I played it for her.

She said, “It’s the same voice.”

“Yeah. Look at the number.”

Her eyes got wide. “That’s my number!”

“I thought so but wasn’t sure. Someone is calling us from each other’s phones.”

I closed my phone and put it back in my pocket. I took her hand back and we walked along some more. We were both thinking. My mind had two tracks. One track was on the messages and trying to think of a source. The other track was on the beautiful girl walking beside me and holding my hand. The girl won.

We were headed back to pick up our books and go to the cafeteria when an idea struck me. We had been walking silently for a while at that time. I said, “Karen, I have an idea. Don’t answer your phone. I took mine out and called back to respond to the message that had been left on my phone. Karen’s rang and she looked at me but let it ring. It went to voice mail and I heard her voice say, “You’ve reached Karen Mason. I’m not available. Please leave a message.” The phone then gave the tone to talk.

I said, “This is Brad. Karen is with me. We’re together. We would like to talk to you but don’t know how so are trying this method to make contact. Please call.” I hung up.

She said, “Do you think it will work?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know but it’s all I could think of to get a response. We will just have to wait to see if it will work.”

“As long as it doesn’t interrupt my evening. I have a first date with this dreamy guy and I won’t be happy if anything messes it up.”

“I agree. I’m taking this beautiful girl out to eat and then to a concert. I’m worried enough because I want to impress her with what a nice guy I am. I want her to want to keep seeing me.” We laughed together. I said, “I have to pick up the tickets before we eat. The concert starts at eight. Would six be too early?”

“Yes and no. It’s the right time. However, I would like to see you sooner but I need to bathe and get ready.”

I grinned. “I could come over and help wash your back.”

She grinned back and chuckled. “We might never eat if you did that. I think that will happen some day though. I bet you’re a good back washer, Brad.”

“I am if I don’t get too distracted.” I gave her hand a squeeze and went in the student center and picked up two tickets for the student section. I came out and she had our books ready. We went to the cafeteria and ate. Melissa and Paul came by separately.

Melissa looked at me and said to Karen, “I understand you have a hot date tonight. Have fun!”

Paul came over a little later. He said, “He didn’t say much of anything last night but he had the silliest grin on his face that I’ve ever seen. Enjoy your evening.” He left and Karen was chuckling.

“It wasn’t quite that bad, Karen.”

“Of course not. I’m sure it went away after you went to sleep.” I shrugged and laughed.

She said, “I’ll confess. I still had mine this morning when I woke up.” We both laughed getting looks from other tables. “We have to go to be at your lab on time. I’ll walk you there. My next class is in that building half an hour after your lab starts.” I took our trays and she grabbed our books. We met at the door. She had a free hand and we held hands all the way to the Chemistry building after I took our books.

When we got there, I looked at her and said, “At six?”

“I’ll be ready.” We parted. I went to the lab and she had a half hour to kill waiting for her class.

I got through the lab successfully. When I got out, I looked for her but didn’t see her though saw another girl. She said, “Karen is gone already. She said you should go to your dorm and shower.” She giggled. She added, “You don’t look too bad to me.” I smiled at her and left for my room.

Paul was there. He said, “Well, let’s see. What does the well-dressed victim wear?”

I said, “Blue blazer, tan slacks, light blue shirt, and a tie.” As I said it, I was laying it out on my bed along with fresh socks and dress loafers.

He said, “Where are the tickets?” I held them up and then put them in the inside pocket of the blazer. “Do you have money?” I held up my Visa card. I was very careful to control my spending but I didn’t have time for the bank or an ATM. I put it back in my wallet and emptied my pockets on the bed. I pulled a fresh handkerchief to replace the one that I had. He said, “When to you pick her up?”

I said, “At six.”

Paul laughed. He said, “That means you only have three hours and thirty-five minutes before you see her.” He laughed some more. “You might even squeeze in a shower but I would wait a little longer so you won’t have time to get too sweaty.”

“Come on, Paul. Ease up.”

“We’ve been roommates since we started at this college. You never got concerned about a date with Lisa no matter how big a deal it was. I think this girl is special to you.”

I nodded. “She’s very special. I want her to like me. I want her to be as proud to walk beside me as I am to walk beside her.”

He nodded back. “I did a little checking on her. She has a reputation for being quiet. You are her first date here. I know she turned down a bunch of guys last fall. She was nice about it but was firm. She also made the Dean’s List last quarter so you have company there. You aren’t too bad looking. There might be some real hope for a couple to come out of this.” He grinned.

“You aren’t making me feel more confident, Paul.”

“Well, you should be. Out of all the guys at this college, it’s your hand she holds.” I grinned. “She thinks you’re pretty special and I bet she’s sweating right now, too.

“Now, don’t you have some school work that needs to be done over the weekend?” I nodded slowly. Paul continued. “Work on that for a couple of hours. You will still have plenty of time and can concentrate on her all weekend. While you’re doing that, I’m going to give your shoes a little extra polish. Come on, buddy. It will work out okay.” He smiled and I relaxed. Paul’s a good friend.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.