Racing the Clock - Cover

Racing the Clock

Copyright© 2014 by Vincent Berg

Chapter 5: Recriminations and Acceptance

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 5: Recriminations and Acceptance - Alex has a mission to find as many new followers as he can in the limited time he has left as he comes to grip with the knowledge his abilities will likely kill him. Before that happens, he hits the road with his sister and Gail. Along the way, they learn much more about him, his followers and about leading a mission when one doesn't know the way. He needs enough followers to build a new branch on the evolutionary tree, but has a limited time and needs to stay below the radar as he does it.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Mult   Consensual   Romantic   Fiction   Science Fiction   Extra Sensory Perception   Paranormal   Incest   Brother   Sister   Harem   Slow   Science fiction adult story, sci-fi adult story, science-fiction sex story, sci-fi sex story

"Are you sure he's OK?" Shanna asked, trying to keep her voice low while hovering over Cate and the others surrounding him.

"No, I'm not," Cate hotly replied, glaring at Shanna with a wrath which wasn't directed at her. "It was stupid of him, and he should know better. He knows he's susceptible to these kinds of attacks, and the more he does things like this without taking precautions the shorter his time with us will be."

"It's alright," Alex insisted, still looking tired and drained. "I ate some and then I took a short nap when we got back to the hotel," he said as picked up the menu and began perusing it, hoping to avoid a protracted discussion about his 'mistakes'.

"Alex, I didn't want to say anything before, but you already look several years older since you were shot before this latest event," Cate told him pointedly. "Now you're showing wrinkles on your face and around your eyes, you've got visible gray hairs and you look exhausted. The strain on your body is showing, and we're worried about you."

"And I suppose you don't think I should have helped Rachel?" he asked pointedly, setting the menu aside, realizing she wasn't going to surrender the argument that easily.

Cate sighed heavily. "No, you did the right thing, but there are ways to go about things like this. You're always trying to do something in the most dramatic way you can, without regard to your own safety. You just have to be more cautious. Maybe if you didn't do it all at once?"

"You don't seem to understand, Cate," he responded, glancing up and locking eyes with her, his impatience flaring before the Seers in bright colors. "What I did was unprecedented, and it wasn't like anything I'd done before. It simply struck me I could try something new and I tried it, but since it was new I had no idea what was involved or how long it would take. Clearly it took longer than I'd anticipated. I couldn't plan it and it couldn't have been done piecemeal. What I did was to cause the damaged kidney to regrow new tissue, but in order to do that I had to feed it a fairly heavy dose of energy in a consistent manner for a specific period."

"He's right, Cate," Gail chimed in. "What he did was completely new. It's akin to what they keep trying with stem cells, getting the body to grow new cells when it wouldn't on its own. The amount of things he had to overcome and that had to occur for it to succeed boggles my mind. I still can't fathom how it's even possible."

"Still, I'd rather you tried these new things when you're in a healthier environment and better prepared than you were," Cate continued to chide him, though her righteous anger at him had abated.

"What could be healthier than a hospital?" Alex answered flippantly, opening the menu as if telling her he was finished with the discussion. However, she was having none of it.

"Anywhere you were rested, well-fed and had enough supplemental energy supplies to keep you refreshed," she answered, her voice raising enough to attract the attention of the other diners in the hotel's dining room. "You exhausted yourself, Alex, and you came very close to ending up in the emergency room as a result."

"Yes, Mom, I understand what I did wrong. Now can we order dinner? I'm starving," Alex answered, glaring at her over the top of his menu, knowing how the reference to their mother would press Cate's emotional buttons.

"Humph, it's no wonder," she answered, ignoring the jibe, continuing on just as she knew their mother would. "And I want you to eat double portions. Order two entrees. And not just steak and potatoes, either. We don't know what you drained from your body, so order extra vegetables. And no desserts either. You don't need the empty calories. If you need anything else, order an appetizer instead." Alex merely rolled his eyes but did as his sister requested. "And don't call me mom," she finally responded, shooting him a look. "I think the world of her, but it's hardly an encouraging comment. Do it again and you'll to be walking to California."

"Hey there, sorry I'm late," Liv Bisla said as she came in and found a place to sit. "Wow, you certainly know how to make a scene. First you produce a medical miracle without any drugs, machinery or without touching the patient, then you put everyone into a panic by collapsing."

"How'd Rachel do as a result?" Cate asked, her own scientific curiosity winning over her concern with her brother's health.

"Well, it took a lot of discussion with the lead doctor at the hematology clinic, and only with Mary's insistence would he release the information, but they ran some quick tests. It turns out her numbers are much better. He didn't want to admit it, but Alex is correct. Her kidneys are now functioning well enough she no longer needs dialysis. In fact, she should be relatively healthy now. At least for a while, they want to ensure this isn't a temporary gain. But that is a big win in my book."

"It's not short term," Gail announced with the assurance of the newly converted. "It's brand new growth. She basically regrew 30% of her kidney function. I think if they did a scan they'd find her kidneys are that much larger."

"That's amazing," Liv said, looking at Alex with wonder in her eyes. "30% is enough by itself to end dialysis, but added to what she already had, it will leave her with a healthy margin. It's one thing to have something you can't fathom happen to you, but it's another to have a medical miracle play out in front of educated witnesses which can be verified by demonstrable facts. And you do this kind of thing regularly?"

"Oh, no," Cate warned her. "This is hardly regular. He almost killed himself today. He was trying something new. Normally he simply strengthens existing tissue, giving it a boost of energy. He saved a guy in New Orleans by feeding energy into his heart following a massive heart attack and then jump starting the guy's heart. But this time he actually convinced Rachel's body to grow new tissue. That just breaks so many physical and biological laws it's unbelievable. There are just a zillion reasons why it isn't possible."

"It isn't possible yet, as far as modern science is concerned," Liv agreed. "They've managed to grow rudimentary organs in vitro, but only under laboratory conditions and nothing nearly as complicated as a kidney or like this. I was wondering why he responded so poorly if he'd planned this out in advance."

"Oh, it wasn't planned," Alex told her while stuffing bread rolls into his face. "I had no idea what she was suffering from, and I purposely didn't ask in advance. In fact, I only asked Erin when there was specific information I needed to know to ensure I didn't make her worse."

"Yeah, she said you were afraid you could make an infection worse. You certainly confused the poor girl. She didn't know what to report, since everything you did is contrary to everything she learned in medical school."

Since Alex was still trying to eat, Cate answered for him. "Infections, viruses and parasites are all living things. Alex's energy surrounds all living things, so if he feeds more energy in, he'd theoretically feed the undesirable elements the same as he would the healthy tissue. That's all she'd need is a super healthy infection."

"Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem," Liv acknowledged. "Did you actually test that premise?"

Cate looked shocked by the question. "Uh, no, I didn't even think of that."

"Then you don't know for sure it'll happen," Liv told them, looking pointedly at Cate since Alex was concentrating on eating. "The energy isn't food, is it? Even if it strengthens the infection, it may strengthen the immune system even more. We'll have to think of a way of testing it."

"Well, that's going to be hard to do while we're traveling," Alex told her, pausing eating long enough to respond. Despite his desire to understand the phenomenon himself, he really was starving, even after all this time after the event. "I'm the only one who can do it, and we'd need to supply energy to a Petri dish for a minimum of several days."

"Yeah, it'd take a while, but it's something you need to do before you make too many assumptions about what won't work. Not that I'd suggest experimenting on someone with an infection, though," Liv replied with a grin.

They had to pause the conversation as the waiter brought Liv a menu and delivered a large frozen fruit drink in front of Alex. Cate hoped it would give him enough energy to last until the food arrived. Once Liv ordered they resumed their discussion.

"Actually, you did me a favor," Liv explained. "The head of the hematology clinic and the girls' doctor called the hospital demanding answers, which triggered questions around the hospital as well. Doctors don't like unanswered questions. I had to admit I didn't know anything about it, as I'd just met you. But I told them you'd offered me a unique opportunity to visit you and learn your techniques. I then explained where I'd need to go and how long it would take. They were hesitant to approve something so unprecedented on such short notice, but they were so curious they couldn't resist," she said with a Cheshire Cat grin.

"So, Alex, I'm confused," Cate asked her brother. "How did you manage the new growth? Did you dissolve the damaged tissue? Increase the density of the kidney tissue, or cause new growth to form outside of the existing kidney like you did with the brain tissue?" Now that she'd worked out all her protective issues her scientific curiosity was bubbling over.

"Frankly, my dear, as usual, I haven't a clue," he answered, trying to pull off a "Gone with the Wind" impression. "Don't forget, I couldn't see anything. As always, I just did what I felt was necessary and somehow my body knew what to do. But I don't actually think I did anything unusual. I think the increase in the level of energy and the way I applied it fostered some natural function in the body which normally isn't used, so I think her body took over and took care of things. It's like if a parched drought ridden landscape suddenly gets a heavy rainfall. Suddenly new life springs up and everything just gets out of the way. Somehow everything just seems to work together."

Cate grunted. It was clear she wasn't happy with that answer. She wanted something more specific than clever but weak analogies.

"OK, moving on," Liv said, jumping back in, realizing her time was limited since she was likely to be called back on duty. "I understand there was a lot we didn't get to today. What else do I need to know? Do I need to travel to New Orleans? When can I head to Carbondale? Should I call your friend or the head of the hospital or what?"

"Whoa," Alex replied, waving a hand with a roll still in it to forestall her questions since he still didn't have that much energy for an engaged discussion. "One question at a time. Yes, Liv, there's still quite a bit you need to know. No, you don't need to travel to New Orleans right now. Eventually, yes, but that's more so you can learn about the community than for any other reason. Right now I'd prefer if you focused on the medical aspects. I already spoke to Allison, so she's expecting your call and she's already advised Ryan about your desire to visit. They've already spoken to my friend Natalie, who's been handling your role as travel agent until now, Shanna. She's the one that's planned our trip for us. She'll make whatever arrangements you need. Cate can give you the number for her. Call her and she'll set things up for you."

"Good. I'm excited about this and I'd like to start as soon as possible. Is this coming Monday too soon?" Liv asked. Alex just grinned.

"Since I'm not involved in it, the sooner, the better. I'm sure they're just as excited, so I'm sure everyone will be more than happy to make allowances. As I said, I expect Ryan to offer you a job, but he's already been overextending himself and his hospital for my benefit, so I don't think it's a good idea to accept. Besides, I have other plans for you."

The waiter arrived with their food so they dug in. The food was good, though not quite as good as they were used to in the French Quarter, but Alex made a comical sight sitting behind several dinner plates all piled around him laden with food. Both Cate and Gail knew he'd quickly eat his way through them, even with the extra large portions they piled on hoping to justify the prices they charged. Nothing emphasized how much Alex's 'magic' stressed him like how much he had to eat to recuperate.

Seeing Alex was again busy stuffing his face, Cate stepped into the breach. "There's a lot we didn't get to. There's a whole classification of followers we've established it's important to understand. In order to discuss them in public we've developed personal and public descriptions for them. We call the first group type 1's, or Seers. This group includes both you and Gail," she told Liv and Shanna. "They can physically see the energy Alex gives off and which inhabits all living things. Until they're activated, they naturally feel other's energy, although they don't recognize it as such. They simply assume it's a form of intuition. They demand much more of Alex's time and focus, so they tend to get the most attention.

"The next group is the type 2s, or Watchers. We call them that because that's how we identify them. Whenever Alex shows up they congregate around him, simply watching in rapt attention but afraid to approach him, not understanding their attraction to him. Generally they don't come to him on their own, but if asked they'll jump at the chance to help.

"The last group is the type 3s, which we classify normal people as. However over time we've refined that definition. There are now several subcategories. There are the type 3s who don't know anything, there are the ones who know something about Alex but don't cause any trouble, then there are those who become part of Alex's whole movement, taking a very active role in the whole thing."

"That would include Alex's sisters, his two girlfriends and many of his friends from school," Gail explained. "It would also include the other girls in their sorority."

"Sorority?" Shanna asked, surprised by the off topic reference.

"Alex's sister Melinda started a sorority at SIU in order to attract women on campus who were likely to be new followers. His foundation is trying to get charters started in a few different schools. That's why both Tina and Amy are involved. They helped us get started and they're trying to start their own chapters."

"Wow, you people certainly don't waste any time, do you?" Shanna asked. "How long have you been working on this? It sounds like you've been organizing it for several years now."

Alex, Cate and Gail just looked at each other and then burst out laughing.

"Nope. Alex's power only showed up when he traveled to New Orleans the first time, three months ago," Gail told them.

"We've been working hard," Cate explained. "As we've described, Alex doesn't have much time and there are hundreds of things we have to work out. We can't afford to lose any time being indecisive or overly cautious."

"Wow, that's really impressive. I can see I'm going to have to be offering my best game when I get to Carbondale," Liv responded. "So you were saying, about the various type 3s?"

"Oh, yeah," Cate answered. "There's one other category of type 3, although there's only one case. Those are people who have been exposed to Alex and his energy for so long they've developed their own abilities. That one person would be me." Liv stopped eating and looked up at Cate at this latest information.

"So that's what you were talking about when you said you 'absorbed his energy'?" Tina asked.

"Yeah, I've been around him for so long, always going to him as a child for comfort rather than my parents, that it seems to have affected me. When Alex... ," here Cate hesitated, realizing she'd almost spilled the beans. She suddenly realized how difficult it would be to explain how Alex had boosted her own abilities without everyone asking the obvious question about it. However Liv seemed to be too inquisitive to wait for her response.

"That makes sense. If he triggers new growth within seconds in the type 1s brains, and he did it in Rachel who is a type 2, then it would make sense he'd have done the same thing to you after years of exposure to the same energy. It's just a question of how much exposure each type requires."

Cate raised an eyebrow at this comment. It made a lot of sense when phrased like that. Maybe it wasn't so much an inborn talent or another genetic anomaly as it was just prolonged exposure to Alex triggering a new adaptive growth in her.

"That's a good way of putting it. Anyway, I seem to have the ability to feel Alex's energy in other people. And I don't mean his type of energy either. I mean I can feel the energy which comes from him in other people. Thus I can tell who Alex has spent time with, his emotions for the person, as well as their emotions for him. Since I feel these emotions so intimately, I tend to internalize them, feeling his emotions for his followers and theirs for him as a result. Needless to say, it can result in a bit of confusion," Cate replied, hoping she'd provided enough of a subtle hint they wouldn't be as upset if they eventually learned about her and her brother.

"Yeah, that fits," Amy said, jumping in. "That's why you feel compelled to cuddle up with him in the middle of the night. You're soaking up both his excess energy and his emotions."

"So I'm guessing you feel a little sexual charge concerning me and Amy then?" Tina teased.

"Actually, it isn't so much a sexual charge, since Alex rarely feels simple lust," Cate explained, getting into the issue. "The physical connection he makes seems to trigger something in each of his followers. Here I suspect he may affect the Watcher's brains as well, since they each seem to feel real love for each other. As a result, I find I love each and every one of Alex's followers, just as he does."

"Man, this just gets weirder and weirder," Emma commented.

"Tell me about it," Gail whispered as an aside.

"Which brings up the last issue," Cate said, trying to create an opening for a point Alex had been waiting to discuss. "Periodically Alex manages to increase his abilities. These are usually triggered by significant events like strong adrenaline spurts, but it also includes strong emotional responses."

"What my sister is trying to tell you," Alex explained, "in a subtle way, is we've found I can boost people's abilities by making love to them. There needs to be a strong emotional connection, and there needs to be full body contact between us, so oral sex doesn't count. Since there are so many people involved I tend to avoid it as much as possible, but I try to involve anyone that's going to be doing anything specific for me, just so they'll have the additional advantages they need to be successful. Thus I made love to both Tina and Amy so they'd be able to evaluate the hidden motivations of anyone they met in regards to their sorority applications."

"So that's why you mentioned wanting to make love to us this evening?" Shanna asked. "I was wondering about that, because you described it almost like an obligation rather than as a seduction. I was a little afraid it was because you were getting jaded by so many women trying to woo you, but it sounds like it's really an obligation for you."

"You'd better believe it," Cate added. "He's been fooling around with all kinds of people, and it's hard for him to have to reject anyone, since they'd take it so personally, but he actually puts a lot of consideration into this. He doesn't do it lightly. If it was up to him, he'd only make love to his girlfriends. But instead he's got dozens of women he has to make love to, many of whom are willing to wait quite a while to gain an available slot in his schedule."

"Yeah, it must be tough," Liv said, rolling her eyes with a smile on her lips before hesitating. "Wait, did you say 'girlfriends'?"

Cate laughed. "Yeah, among everything else, Alex has a couple of high school girlfriends. But I'll tell you about them some other time. That story deserves a discussion all its own."

"But the point Cate was trying to bring up is that I'd like to make love to both of you tonight, just so you'll be better able to carry out your tasks, although I certainly wouldn't complain about the opportunity to appreciate your beauty and charm up close," Alex added, trying to score a couple of point for charm since he seemed to be running so low on that score lately.

"Hell, yes," Liv announced without any further prompting. "I'll definitely sleep with you, and I'd pay good money for the privilege, too. I don't think I've ever felt more attracted to someone. Not to mention how thankful I feel to you for what you've done to me. Then, when you add in the extra bonus abilities, whatever they are, I'd be a fool to turn you down."

"Don't scoff too easily," Emma advised her. "Someone just finished rejecting Alex earlier today."

"Now that I find hard to swallow," Shanna teased.

Cate's phone rang, so everyone stopped talking while she answered it.

"Oh, hello Mary. Yeah, he's doing better now. We've managed to feed him, so he's slowly recovering his strength."

She paused while she listened to the response before continuing. "No, you shouldn't have to do anything more. We believe her kidneys will be fine, but let the doctors make sure it's healthy enough. Just don't let them try anything which isn't necessary, like possibly cutting her open to find out what Alex did. That wouldn't help anyone and would screw up Rachel's life."

"Yeah," Cate replied after another pause, "if you want to teach her about her own abilities, you should take her to New Orleans. We'll be down there for the next few days, but anytime you go down there, just ask for either Peter or David. They work in a local coffee shop in the French Quarter and they'll be able to provide any information you need. What's more, they'll introduce you both to many more people like Rachel who share her abilities. That way you'll be assured she's still perfectly normal and she'll realize she isn't alone."

Shanna started trying to get Cate's attention, and Cate simply help her hand up, telling her to hold on. "Yeah, you'll both be fine. Just relax and let Rachel be a kid for a while longer. You can give me a call if you need anything, but I think you'll have plenty of other people you can talk to about it once you've visited New Orleans. Now, I've got someone who can arrange a visit to New Orleans whenever you want, if you want help. Here, I'll let you two work it out. Take care and I hope you and Rachel have a wonderful life," Cate said before she handed her phone to Shanna.

Alex was glad they'd put that issue aside without any difficulties. Mary could have caused trouble if she'd started asking questions.


"Are you sure you're OK?" Liv asked, cuddling up against Alex, pressing her naked flesh into his side. "After all, we don't have to do anything if it will hurt you."

"Nah, I ate, rested, and ate again. I think the big danger is if I do too much without eating. Processing the energy my body produces take a lot out of me."

"You know, someone is going to have to pick a name for this energy. How about Alexism energy," Liv suggested with a giggle.

"How about we name it after Cate?" Alex countered. "After all, she deserves some credit for what she's done, and it looks like she'll have to give up her dreams of a Nobel Prize, even if she does deserve it for what she discovers."

"I don't think I've ever known a young man so reticent about recognition," Shanna told him as she played with his few chest hairs. Alex was lying on his back, still able to conserve his strength while the two girls lay on either side of him.

"Well, until about three months ago I was a shy bookworm. I've only become social because I had to be," Alex replied while twirling her hair around his finger in return, turning the gesture into an intimate caress of her cheek. "Now I mostly reacting to everyone gushing over me. I'm afraid it'll give me a complex, making me unbearable. Then who would all of you love? Hmm?"

"Seriously, though, let's not change the subject," Shanna said. "Cate was really worried about you, and from what she told us, there's good reason for her concern. Now, are you going to be safe making love with us all night?"

"All night? You're pretty optimistic. Don't you still have to pack? We're going to be driving all day tomorrow. I think I'll need a little rest sometime," Alex protested.

"There he goes diverting the topic again," Liv said. "Actually, he shouldn't stress himself. From what Cate told me, it's only a problem when he emotionally distances himself and starts actually fucking rather than making love. She says that's extremely rare for Alex." Liv was cuddling up on Alex's other side, her leg thrown over his. She couldn't actually rub her naked chest against Alex's, since Shanna was already hogging most of it, but Liv was idly playing with his cock as they spoke. She was currently thinking more about his cock than she was about the ongoing conversation, imagining what the feeling of an Alex energy fueled orgasm would feel like.

"That's also why Cate sent us in here with a bag full of groceries for me to eat afterwards," Alex reminded them. "I think I'll be OK. Besides, as Liv says, I prefer taking my time and really getting to know the people I make love to. The boost seems to be related to the amount of emotional involvement I have with someone, rather than the sex act itself. I doubt I'd boost a hooker I picked up on the street if I engaged in that sort of thing. In order to boost someone, I really need a combination of a strong emotional interest, a decent amount of sex appeal, and a hell of a lot of timing to achieve an almost perfect simultaneous orgasm."

"Oh, I don't know," Shanna replied. "I suspect if you found a type 1 prostitute you'd love her just like you're planning to do for us."

"Don't get me started," he warned her. "There's a whole host of problems associated with that scenario. I worry about it happening, though, so I've thought about it quite a bit."

"I'm sure your friend Allison would object to that. There are escorts, there are high class prostitutes, and then there are street walkers. I think most of the higher end types keep themselves pretty clean," Liv suggested. "At least, the one's I've treated seem to be."

Alex thought the last comment deserved more discussion, but he was having trouble focusing on the topic as Shanna was pressing her tits into his chest and Liv was slowly jerking his cock with her hand.

"You know, I think I like the idea the Native Americans had of changing one's name based upon what happens to you," Liv said, changing the topic once again. "I'm a Sikh, just in case you hadn't guessed. I'm thinking I should legally change my name since all this happened. I'm thinking Anadjot would be a good name. After all, it's a traditional Sikh name which seems to apply to me now."

"Oh really," Alex asked, "and just what does Anadjot mean?"

"It means 'one who radiates the Lord's light'," she explained, attempting to look at him. "Given you're now my own personal lord and you're literally glowing before us, I think it's fitting."

"Yeah, but it hardly slips off the tongue. I think I like Liv better. It's easier to pronounce and it's close to 'live', which is always a nice idea. By the way, since you seem to know the etymology of Sikh names, what does Liv mean?"

"It means 'focused and dedicated', like someone who is focused on what they're doing, just like I am now," she said as she gave his cock a gentle squeeze. Alex sighed, but he refused to be dissuaded just yet.

"Personally, I think Liv is a better choice, as it describes the personality which got you to where you are," Alex told her, squeezing her tight buns in an effort to distract her work on his cock. "You're focused on your medicine, which you need to be. I want you to become a world renowned surgeon, applying the same dedication to utilizing your new vision in your surgery. I need someone who's focused much more than I need someone who only notices what a dim bulb I really am."

"Ha," responded Shanna, reaching up and kissing him on the cheek. "You're hardly a dim bulb. You're nearly as bright as your sister. In fact, I'm sure you would equal her if you dedicated yourself to it like she does. But I think I prefer you focusing on this mission of yours instead."

"And what does your name mean, Shanna?" Alex asked, turning and kissing her lightly on the lips. He knew they were both getting antsy, but it had almost become a game now. They couldn't seem to stop talking, and he knew the longer he kept them talking the hornier they'd get.

"Very funny, Alex. You know very well Shanna is just the Americanization of my real name, which is Sanaa. But it means brilliance, though it also means 'art' in Swahili."

"Well, since you aren't African I think we'll stick with the intended meaning," Alex replied, reaching behind her to squeeze her buns as well with his other hand. As he squeezed both girls' asses, they pressed their thighs tighter against his. "By the way," he asked, continuing the teasing discussion, "what does your last name, Shenouda, mean? And did I pronounce it correctly?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.