Overboard Too! - Cover

Overboard Too!

Copyright© 2013 by Friar Tuck

Chapter 11

Kay must have done something right, 'cause here's Rob again! Shhhh! His head hurts!

What the? Owwww! Kay? Kay? It's dark! What happened? How did you get the engine started? Heeey! I can't see very good!"

"It's okay, Rob, we're okay for now. You bumped your head. The ambulance is going to meet us at the marina, and Hector says we should be there in a few minutes."

I tried to sit up, and laid right back down again – "Owww! Who's Hector, and where did he come from? Where are we? And why can't I see?"

"Lie still, Rob! Hector was on another boat that came along after I lowered the sail. He's taking us back in to the marina, and he already radioed for help. I told you -- you hit your head, and you shouldn't try to sit up!"

I heard another voice, fairly young, pleasant, Mexican, I guess. "Hello Señor Rob – your lady told me where your marina is, and I called them to ask where to tie up. They gave me directions to your berth, and we will be there soon. Señorita Kay had already dropped the sail, and you were just drifting in the channel when we came along. I am Hector Alvarez, part time mate on the fishing boat Geraldine. We were coming in from a weekend charter when we saw your sail come down. It looked like you were in troubles, so I came aboard to help. Lucky we came along when we did!"

"It's just 'Rob', amigo – and gracias! Thank you for the help!" I felt something soft and warm under me, and I knew I was lying there with my head cradled on Kay's lap. "How did you know to drop the sail, Kay? You probably saved our lives doing that! And what the hell did I trip on?"

"There was a rope there, and you caught your foot in it when you climbed out of the cockpit." She sobbed "Oh Rob! I was so scared! You were just lying there and you wouldn't wake up, and I didn't dare let go of the wheel until we got straightened out again. But then I tied it like I saw you do yesterday, and then just unfastened the ropes on the sail until it fell all over the deck! You ended up half covered by it, and that thing is heavy!" I heard the panic in her voice as she took another sobbing breath. "But you wouldn't wake up! Oh God, you wouldn't wake up!"

I reached up and she grabbed my hand, and she hugged it to her chest, then up to her face, I guess, and she kissed it. "I was so scared," she said again, "and I didn't know what to do, and we got sideways in the channel, and then there was this other boat, and I heard someone holler to ask if we were all right. And I said no, you were hurt, and they pulled alongside and Hector came aboard to help. The other boat is following us – they tie up in the next bay over from your marina. And here we are." She calmed down finally, and said "He knew what to do about the engine, and who to call on the radio, and they'll be waiting for us when we get in to the marina. And you should see your head! You've got a bump the size of a football on it!"

"A football?" It did feel that way.

"Well, a small football, maybe one of those nerf thingies!" I think she was trying to lighten things up a little. Sure needed it about then!

"Must be why I can't see real good right now." Actually, I couldn't see much at all, but no sense in scaring us both with that little detail. "Probably just a concussion, and when the swelling goes down it'll clear up okay."

"Oh God, I hope so," she sobbed.

"Señ,,, er,, Rob?"

"Yes, Hector?"

"I will stow the sail for you, and make sure everything is secured on the boat before I leave it."

"Again, my friend, thank you for your help! Estoy en su deuda, mi amigo." *

"De nada, Rob, de nada. ****We all need to help one another, no?"

"Yes, amigo, we do. But you could have just sent the Coast Guard back, and instead, you stopped to help a stranger."

"No Es esto qué nuestro Jesús nos enseñó hacer?" ****

Suddenly I felt chastised – this man had simply done what he believed was right and good. "But Hector, how can I ever repay you for your help?"

I could hear the smile in his voice when he replied, "Haga a otros, mi amigo, haga a otros." ****

Then he said "Ahh – we have arrived in the marina! Your berth is just ahead."

And Kay exclaimed "There's the ambulance! You're gonna be okay, Rob!"

I remembered then, that Kay had no way to get home. "Kay? Check in the locker behind the berth down below. My wallet and keys are there, along with a green lockbox. Grab them and hang on to them for me, please. Just leave me my insurance card and ID. Cell phone's here in my pocket."

"Okay, but how,,, "

"Wait – my SUV is in the lot behind the office. Blue Escape. I gave her the plate number. Drive it home, and use it for whatever you need, until I get back on my feet. Tank is almost full, but if you run low, my gas card is in the console. I don't like to let it go below half full."

"You trust me with your car? What if something happens?"

"I said I'd get you home, little one, and this is the closest I can come to doing that. It's only a car. Just don't leave it unlocked anywhere. Shove the lockbox under the seat, you'll see a space for it, and just leave it there. And I don't want to leave my wallet and keys on the boat, anyway. There's one of my business cards in my wallet, and it has my cell number on it. Call me later, and if I don't answer, just leave a message. That way I'll have your number, and I can call you when I find out what's up." I squeezed her hand. "Would you do that for me, babe?"

"You know I will, Rob!"

"Amigo? Rob?"

"Yes, Hector?"

"I will take care of the boat for you, and I will leave the key with the office as you say. That way Señorita Kay can leave right away. I will be happy to do this for you. The captain of the Geraldine is my uncle, and he will come and get me when I call him."

"Ah Hector, you are a good man, my friend. And necessary or not, I will find some way to repay you!"

"It is nothing, my friend, but if you wish to help someone, there is a family in my church, with a son who is a teenager. He is a good boy, and in need of work, as he wishes to save for school. If you know of any work he could do on weekends, it would be appreciated! He speaks excellent English, better than me, and is a good worker. He helps me around the church, but we cannot afford to pay him. This would more than repay any debt you feel you owe."

"I can certainly try to help the young man, Hector! You say he helps you in the church? Do you work there as well?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.