Overboard Too! - Cover

Overboard Too!

Copyright© 2013 by Friar Tuck

Chapter 4

Kay's turn:

I really don't know what I was thinking when I let Donna talk me into going on that party boat. I mean, she's okay and all that, but she is sort of an airhead at times. I know she's more experienced and all, especially more experienced than little virginal me, but she's not evil or anything. It's not that she'd do anything to hurt me intentionally, but her judgment is a little suspect at times. She's probably panicking right now, wondering if I'm okay. Serves her right – maybe it'll scare some sense into her head!

This weekend was supposed to be a break from school. She said I deserved it because I'm so far ahead in our classwork, and I'm as ready as I'll ever be for the finals. Wow! Finals! And I almost really blew it. If it hadn't been for Rob, puttering along in this little sailboat, and if it hadn't been for Rob, agreeing to take me aboard and take care of me ... If it hadn't been for Rob...

He's so much different from any guy I ever met. More like my dad, more like the kind of guy I always dreamed about. But he's older! More settled in his ways. But I wonder ... I saw something in his eyes...

Back to Rob:

We reached our destination, and I set the anchor, probably with a bit more scope than I needed, but I've always been a little on the conservative side. Set a stern hook too, to keep us from swinging too much, then went below to see how supper was progressing. Kay had laid out a very nice looking salad, and she'd already sliced the fried chicken to top it. And the apple did look like it belonged!

"Looks great, milady! I think this is the first time anyone but me has fixed a meal on this humble barge, and I do believe I could get used to that right quick!" She looked up with the strangest expression in her eyes, and I immediately regretted my attempt at lighthearted banter.

"Sorry, Kay," I was actually stammering! "I didn't mean anything untoward by that. Just trying to be funny."

Her blue eyes actually twinkled as she replied "You mean I'm not gonna get another invitation to go sailing with you?" And she smiled, and there was this dimple, and oh my god – I felt something I thought I'd never feel again! Just for a second, before I could catch my breath again, there was this tingle, and something, I don't know, something good happened there, just for a second, then I must have hesitated too long, because it was gone again.

She turned then, and whispered "Sorry, I guess I'm still a little keyed up from this afternoon." I reached out and touched her arm and felt a tension there, as if she'd raised a barrier between us. She shook her head as if to clear it, and said "No, that was silly, let's just eat this salad before it wilts, and I'll try to stay out of your way."

Now her staying out of my way was the last thing I wanted right then, but I nodded, and we squeezed in to the little dining area and dug in.

We also chatted a bit, but conversation was still somewhat stilted –tentative might have been a better word, until she suddenly looked up at me with a curious, more interested expression. "Did you say 'welcome aboard the Nocturne'?"

"Yes," I replied, "I named my boat after my favorite piece of music."

Her eyes lit up – and that is..."

"Oh, it's one of Chopin's Nocturnes; you probably wouldn't recognize it."

She looked a bit miffed at that, and said "Just because I'm an airhead college kid? Try me!"

"Well, when I named it I was thinking of his Nocturne Op. 9,,, "

"No. 2 in E flat?" she finished my sentence. That's one of my favorites too!"

"You know Chopin? You like classical music?"

"Well, yeah," she said with a grin. "It's a whole lot better than the stuff they currently call music! And I can't imagine going for a nice quiet sail on something named after some of that hip hop stuff I hear on campus all day! Of course, I'm not sure I'd want a ride named for one of Mahler's pieces either!"

Okay, I can joust as well, "How about John Cage?" I asked, but I guess my expression must have given me away.

She surprised me. "Dream might work, but that's a rather ambiguous name for a sailboat." And she stuck out her tongue at me! "Teasing? Or testing me," she giggled. I was really beginning to like that giggle!

"So," I said, "what other surprises does Kaitlyn Sanderson bring aboard Nocturne?" I looked at her eyes as her expression went back to neutral. "I mean other than the fact that she's a very interesting young woman," I paused for a second, unsure whether I should complete my sentence, then I just had to. "That some kind providence has dropped onto my boat, and whom I would love to get to know more about!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.