Overboard Too!
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2013 by Friar Tuck

We were halfway to my planned destination, a couple of sunken wrecks where I could usually count on picking up a yellowtail for supper. The GPS is great for locating these spots, and mine was set with several locations where I'd had some success. Of course, I always stowed some canned goods just in case, and carried some fresh stuff in a couple of coolers.

I heard a soft noise behind me, and turned to see Kay standing there, looking confused, and more than a little wobbly.

"Hi! Decided to rejoin the living?" She gave me a tentative smile, so I asked "Remember anything? I'm Rob, welcome to the sailboat Nocturne, and we're headed for one of my favorite places to anchor and relax."

She did relax a little at that point, and I could tell she was remembering what had transpired earlier. "Y, y, yes," she said, "It's coming back. You pulled me out of the Gulf, and offered to take me back with you. Todd spiked my drink and I found out just in time to get away from him." She looked at me and started to tear up. "Thank you for rescuing me." She looked down at her now dry bikini, then back up at me, and it seemed there was a question in her eyes along with the unshed tears.

"Hey, don't get all weepy on me, I just did what any decent man would do. She saw me look at her bikini, and I realized what she was thinking. And no, no way I'm gonna take advantage of you, or any young lady that way. You're safe here, unless the weather makes up and we get blown out to sea, but the forecast is for clear, light winds and sunny for the rest of the weekend. So unless we run into Moby Dick I guess we're okay."

She smiled at that. "Or Captain Nemo?" She giggled at my reaction and said "Jules Verne and Melville and Rob – Oh My!" Then she hiccupped, put her hand over her mouth, and headed for the rail.

I wet a couple of paper towels from the roll I always carry, and handed them to her as she stood back up. "Thanks," she said, her face still pale as she cleaned up. "Sorry to be gross; I guess that must be a reaction to whatever he put in my drink. I'm certainly not seasick!"

"I would hope not – as calm as it is right now." It was calm enough, with the light winds barely rippling the surface, and the swells not high at all. "So – you hang out with them a lot? Seems like a rough bunch to party with."

"No, actually, I don't." She looked chagrinned as she said it. "This was supposed to be just a short party cruise, and Donna promised me there'd be no heavy drinking or drugs, just a chance to get some fresh air and sun. Been cooped up in school too long, I guess, and I just took her at her word."

"Sometimes it's good to be able to do that," I said, "and sometimes it turns around and bites you." I turned to make an adjustment to the wheel, then back to her again. Reaching into the cockpit cooler I said "If you're still feeling a little woozy you might try a little of this ginger beer to settle your stomach, then we'll see about getting you settled in for the duration of this luxury cruise."

She giggled again at that, with no untoward results this time, and her smile got much brighter. "Aye, cap'n," she chirped, "seaman apprentice Kay reporting for duty!" Her smile dimmed a bit then, "That is if I haven't totally ruined your weekend for you." She sagged a bit at that, her bravado draining away, and I thought she stifled a sob as she sat down on the coaming. She stiffened a little as I sat next to her and put my arm around to comfort her, then I felt her relax, and she said "Somehow I feel safe with you, Rob." She looked up at me and continued, "You're not like those assholes at all, are you?" She looked closer then, and started to say something, but just shook her head as if to clear it, then looked up at me again.

"What?" I asked.

"You've been hurt too; I see it in your eyes." She must have realized how close we were to each other, and pulled back to a less compromising position. "Thank you again for rescuing me."

"Again, my pleasure, milady." I let the awkward moment pass. "Now to the practical side of things. I didn't plan much in the way of a gourmet feast for the weekend, just some cold fried chicken, some sandwich and salad fixings, cheese, crackers, bottle of wine for relaxing later, stuff like that. It's almost suppertime now. Think you can eat anything? Or does the thought of food put you off?"

"No, starving, actually; I could eat a horse right now! A seahorse, anyway!" At least she still had a sense of humor. "Can I help you fix something?"

"Well," I said, "there's not much room in the galley on one of these luxury liners, and we're fresh out of seahorses," (she giggled again, and I found myself beginning to like that) "but if you like, you can rustle us a salad while I cut up some fried chicken to put on top."

"Deal!" she said, "And if you've got an apple, I'll slice that to go on the top as well!"

"Okay!" I glanced at the GPS "And there's a nice spot to anchor not too far ahead. I'll tend to that, while you get started. You'll find everything you need in one or another of the coolers below."

She snapped a right smart salute, and repeated that "Aye Aye, Cap'n," this time with a giggle, and then she stunned me by leaning forward and kissing me on the cheek. I must have looked as well as felt stunned, as she drew back and almost whispered, "I meant it when I said thank you, and I do trust you, Rob." Then she turned and scampered down the hatchway to the galley below.

Chapter 4 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.