A Nation Forged - Cover

A Nation Forged

Copyright© 2013 by Invid Fan

Chapter 10

James hoped he was not arranging his own death.

The inner room of the palace was crowded. He had chosen it, and not the throne room, as it was more secure. Two extra rings of guards could be set up around them, keeping trouble out ... or in. Mostly in. He let his gaze wander around the room as he sat in what he considered his "spare throne". Every noble and officer, from both the island and the mainland, stood before him. Every important male, called to a gathering of an importance they were just beginning to understand. As James observed them, all eyes were not on him, but on Ola. The slim Chamberlain stood beside the King on the raised dais, reading from a small leather bound book. His words were clear, practiced.

"Tonight. Someone woke me. It was the beautiful Elf woman. She was next to my bed. She told me she needed me to hide something. I said I had a secret spot nobody knew about. She asked me where it was, but I did not tell her because it was a secret. She smiled, and said that was a test and that I was a good boy for keeping it a secret! My face got red! She gave me a book, told me to hide it. She said it was a magic book that nobody should read, and I was not to open it. She made me promise. I promised. The pretty woman then kissed me on the forehead! She kissed me! I promised to hide the book and never tell anyone! She kissed me again, then vanished! She said some words, and vanished! Wow! Magic! I hid the book here next to this diary. Now, God, I promised that nobody would read it, so please do not read it, or let your Son or Wife read it. I promised. Thank you. Don't tell Mom, either."

Ola closed the book slowly, reverently, placing it down on a small carved table before him. Turning to James, he bowed, stepping back. Silence filled the room. The King let out a sigh.

"Those were the final recorded words of Prince Kostek, son of King Lawenza. The diary was found in a charred chest, given to me by people unknown." His eyes fell on Captain Putaski. The man's face was red, uniformed body as stiff as stone. James moved his gaze away. "I have had it read to you because events are moving in ways which make secrecy our enemy. All must be put on the table, so we may deal with it. If it comes to pass that those in this room, those who make up the power of this nation, believe I should no longer be King due to my actions, so be it. All Kings must serve at the whim of the people. There is much which must be discussed before that comes to pass, however, and I will not go without ... presenting my case."

"What have you done ... Your Grace?" The Captain's voice was hard. No other sound could be heard in the room.

"Many things. First, however, a question." James leaned forward, hands clasped before him. "Who here knew of the King's infidelity?"

His eyes ignored the nobles. Their hands would be clean. Furtive glances were exchanged among some of the officers, however. Commanders, those who would have had the most contact with the King. Piotr's father, Commander of the Winged Hussars, gave the King a long, hard stare. Moving away from the wall he had been leaning against, he came to stand apart from the others.

"There were ... rumors, Your Grace."

"I know," he said. "Ola said he himself had a servant beaten for mentioning such a rumor. I asked who KNEW." The King's eyes flicked to Captain Putaski. The man stayed silent. James nodded. "OK. I bear no ill will for those who might have known, who kept the King's secret. Only those who lie while before me will suffer my displeasure." He smiled, noting who exchanged uncomfortable looks. He hoped Ola was doing the same. He sat up a little.

"Now, then, to more recent matters. We know, from our newly reunited countrymen, civil war has erupted among the Elves. This is NOT joyous news for our Kingdom, despite the pleasure the thought probably brings us. An unstable enemy is a dangerous enemy. I want the Elves peaceful, content, not lashing out at those around them."

"Diplomacy does NOT work with their kind," Captain Putaski said, voice loud. James nodded.

"Neither, we have found out, does its lack. That leaves us in a bit of a bind, I think you'll agree." He let his gaze leave the man, traveling over the room. "I sent a small party of trusted Poles to the city of Saribit, in the hope of learning more about the state of the Elven Kingdom. We were not pursued in our retreat, but the distance between them and us is not so great that their armies could not march against us. We must ever be vigilant, which requires information. Shanna, the Dark Hussar, led the expedition. She returned two days ago, making her report.

"The Elven Queen is dead."

There were cries of shock, as well as cheers. James held up his hand.

"She was killed by her inner circle, tortured for her affair with King Lawenza. The unborn son of our King was cut from her body and butchered."

Bedlam. Nobles, shouting, at each other, at the universe in general. Those of a military bent were quieter, but no less agitated. Heads leaned towards one another, hurried whispers passed. James tried to sort the reaction out. Joy at her death was tempered by the fact Elves had done it. After all, if the Elves wanted her dead, perhaps the Poles wanted her alive? And the child. That, James felt, was going to be key. The knowledge that such a boy could exist would be a downside, most likely, given the xenophobia these people (understandably) had, yet his death could gain Catty sympathy. Or it could result in calls for her death so that could not happen again. James had to admit he didn't know what he was doing here. It was too big. Still, he was committed. He raised his hand.

"Quiet!"

The guard Duda, standing beside the throne, slammed the butt of his pike against the wood floor. The crack reverberated through the room. Silence slowly fell upon them. James lowered his hand.

"There is more. The eldest Elven Princess, daughter to the Queen, has also fallen, brought down by an illness after fleeing her own people. Only one member of the Royal family still survives. A young girl, not yet a woman. She is the heir to the Elven throne, but has disowned her own people. Disowned her own race. She fled across the world, seeking sanctuary.

"She is now my guest."


"That went well."

James let his body collapse into the large stuffed chair in the middle of the living chamber. He felt tired. Drained. Two hours. Two hours of calls to have the Elf Queen crucified before the church steps, to put her in a zoo, to convert her to Christianity and send her back to bring her people to Jesus. All to have it circle around and end up with things exactly as they had been.

He hoped to God he had done the right thing. At least there had been no voices raised against him, personally.

"I heard," Ewa said. The teen lay on a thick rug before him, playing with the baby Marik. The infant was starting to learn how to move around, half crawling, half pulling himself by whatever was available as he explored the world of the rug. Carved and painted wooden toys were scattered around him, as well as cloth stuffed animals. As James watched, Ewa grabbed a toy wagon and pulled it towards her. Marik's eyes followed. As it passed by, he made a grab for it. Ewa let him capture the intruder, which he then proceeded to bang on the carpet.

James couldn't help but smile, both at the child and at Ewa. She had been listening. James had designed certain rooms on the first floor in such a way so that the sound would carry up to the second. He had also sent trusted people through to test and confirm the reverse would not be true.

Then confirmed it himself.

"Did anything strike you?" he asked. Hand now holding a stuffed bear, she looked up at him and shook her head.

"No. They were all confused. The one in favor of crucifixion was very vocal, though."

"Yes," James snorted. "The loudest are usually the stupidest."

"You AREN'T going to marry her, right?" Ewa gave the bear to Marik, pushing herself up into a sitting position. Her eyes were worried. James shook his head.

"No. No, that's not happening. The bigots are right about that, there's no way the people would accept a royal marriage between Pole and Elf. Also," he said, smiling, "she's a bit too green for me. I'm no Captain Kirk."

"Who?"

"Someone from stories back home. He'd fuck anyone of any race or skin color."

"Does color matter to you?" she asked. He frowned.

"No." He hoped he didn't sound as insulted as he felt. The question, in a world where only one human had a different skin color from the rest, had a different connotation than it would at home. "It's the whole non-human part. Shanna is, mostly, human."

Ewa laughed.

There was a knock at the door. Doors. James was so happy to now be somewhere with doors, to have some privacy as King. Not much, but some. He rotated his neck, feeling muscles crack.

"Enter."

Duda opened the door. The guard bowed his head.

"Your Grace. Captain Putaski would like to see you."

James groaned.

"Not now. Have him talk to Ola. We'll set up something..."

The black haired Captain appeared behind Duda. He pushed the guard aside, strolling into the room. James shot to his feet, Ewa doing the same, scooping up Marik. The boy bit the teddy bear's ear, unaware anything was wrong.

"Guards!" James' command was sharp. Duda already had his sword out, moving to put himself between Putaski and the King. The Captain stopped where he was. His face was as it had been down below, hard, angry. A half dozen of the King's hand picked guard rushed into the chamber, swords out. James noticed the Captain was unarmed.

"Captain Putaski," he said, willing his voice calm. "There are certain protocols regarding entering the King's presence. I do not think all of them are necessary, true, but this is not a good time to be annoying me."

"None of us like being ... annoyed, Your Grace."

"Very true." Outside the doorway, James saw Ewa's brother staring in, eyes terrified. James turned to her. "Ewa, perhaps you should check on the kitchen."

"Alright, James." Her use of his name in front of the officer was intentionally provocative. Her eyes shot daggers into the man as she slowly made her way around him. As she exited, she closed the door behind her, but not before giving James one final glance. There was uncertainty, fear, as well as love, trust. So much could be said with just those eyes.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.